Recap: Supernatural S 07 E 21 Reading Is Fundamental
Recap of Supernatural Season 7, Episode 21
Reading is Fundamental
Written by Ben Edlund.
Directed by Ben Edlund.
Air Date: May 4, 2012.
When breaking open the clay block they stole from Dick Roman, Sam and Dean create a storm, which causes strange incidents across the country. Inside, they find a tablet engraved with mysterious writing. Meg calls to inform them that Castiel has awakened, and they head to Indiana to visit him. Upon arrival, they discover that their friend is a little...different
than he was before.
Meanwhile, the storm caused by opening the tablet strikes teenager Kevin Tran with lightning. Soon after, he is driven to travel across the country to retrieve the tablet.
- Asian and Nerdy: Kevin Tran. Channing as well, though not quite to the same level.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Meg drops Crowley's "Hello, boys."
- Broken Angel: Name-dropped in reference to Castiel, who's currently not all there in the sanity department:
Sam: What are you gonna do with a broken angel?
- The Chosen One: Kevin, and he is not happy about it. Dean sympathizes.
Dean: You've been chosen. And it sucks.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Castiel. He's almost like his Bad Future self, only without the nihilism and sex (so far).
"Did you know that a cat's penis is sharply barbed along its shaft? I know for a fact the females were not consulted about that."
"I'm surrounded by large, unhappy dogs. [...] You know, those racing dogs were absolutely miserable. They can only think in ovals."
- Dramatic Thunder: Lampshaded.
Dean: That sound like someone saying "no, wait, stop" to you?
- Enemy Mine: Meg, again.
- Flat "What."
- Foreshadowing: Channing's line to Kevin about how "no matter what, one day, college isn't going to matter anymore."
- Hyperventilation Bag: Kevin is taking everything relatively well.
- I'm Not A Nurse, But I Play One On TV: Meg name-drops the trope:
- In the Back: How Meg takes down Hester.
Meg: What? Someone had to.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Meg pulls this on a pair of Crowley's demons.
- Ironic Echo: Castiel's "pull my finger" joke.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "Crowley isn't the problem this year."
- Lightning Can Do Anything: To be fair, it was of Heavenly origin.
- Never Live It Down: Ruby for Sam, In-Universe. "A demon whore, and a Winchester. Again."
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Following on from the above:
Hester: Kill the demon, and her lover.
Meg: [dazed from getting thrown into a wall] That's not how it—we're not—
- Ship Tease: Meg and Castiel, almost veering into Will They or Won't They? territory.
Castiel: Will you look at her? My caretaker. All of that thorny pain. So beautiful.
Meg: We've been over this. I don't like poetry. Put up or shut up.
- A long one to the Transformers:
Castiel: This is the handwriting of Metatron.
Sam: Metatron? You saying a Transformer wrote that?
Dean: No. That's Megatron.
Dean: The Transformer—it's Megatron.
- Meg references Ryan Seacrest and calls Sam "Bullwinkle".
Castiel: Meg, are you hurt?
Meg: Shut up.
- Weirdness Magnet: Discussed: "If anyone was to recover the Word from the Vault of the Earth...it would be you two."