Season 7, Episode 21
Reading is Fundamental
When breaking open the clay block they stole from Dick Roman, Sam and Dean create a storm, which causes strange incidents across the country. Inside, they find a tablet engraved with mysterious writing. About the same time, Meg calls to inform them that Castiel has awakened, and they head to Indiana to visit him. Upon arrival, they discover that their friend is a little...different
than he was before.
Meanwhile, the storm caused by opening the tablet strikes teenager Kevin Tran with lightning. Soon after, he is driven to travel across the country to retrieve the tablet.
- Asian and Nerdy: Kevin Tran (and Channing, though not quite the same level).
- The Chosen One: Kevin, and he is not happy about it. Dean sympathizes.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Castiel. He's almost like his Bad Future self, only without the nihilism and sex (so far).
"Did you know that a cat's penis is sharply barbed along its shaft? I know for a fact the females were not consulted about that."
"I'm surrounded by large, unhappy dogs. [...] You know, those racing dogs were absolutely miserable. They can only think in ovals."
- Dramatic Thunder: Lampshaded.
Dean: That sound like someone saying "No, wait, stop" to you?
- Enemy Mine: Meg, again.
- Flat "What."
- Hyperventilation Bag: Kevin is still taking everything relatively well.
- In the Back: How Meg takes down Hester.
Meg: What? Someone had to.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Meg pulls this on a pair of Crowley's demons.
- Ironic Echo: Castiel's "pull my finger" joke.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "Crowley isn't the problem this year."
- Lightning Can Do Anything: To be fair, it was of Heavenly origin.
- Never Live It Down: "A demon whore, and Sam Winchester. Again."
- Ship Tease: Meg and Castiel, almost veering off into Will They or Won't They? territory.
Castiel: Meg, are you hurt?
Meg: Shut up.
- Weirdness Magnet: Discussed: "If anyone was to recover The Word from the vault of the Earth...it would be you two."