Previous: Supernatural S 07 E 21 Reading Is FundamentalRecap of Supernatural
Next: Supernatural S 07 E 23 Survival Of The Fittest
Next: Supernatural S 07 E 23 Survival Of The Fittest
Season 7, Episode 22
There Will Be BloodWritten by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.Directed by Guy Norman Bee.Air Date: May 11, 2012.Sam and Dean start collecting the ingredients needed to take down Dick Roman, starting with the blood of the three Fallen. With Castiel's blood already acquired, they turn to Crowley, who agrees to part with his, but only if they get the blood of an Alpha first. He directs them to Hoople, North Dakota, where they might find a lead to the Alpha Vampire, the last Alpha alive. While searching, the brothers discover that the Leviathans are poisoning food products containing corn syrup with the formula they created and tested with the Turducken sandwich.
Body Count:For this episode = 1 human and 5 vampires.For the series so far = At least 807 humans (of which 6 were witches), 99 demons, 58 angels, 47 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 15 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 3 dogs, 3 Leviathan, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 vetalas, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- All-Natural Snake Oil: When the brothers discover that Dick is using corn syrup to distribute his formula, a desperate Dean wants to start buying food labeled "natural". Sam points out that corn syrup is "natural", technically. If they want to avoid the tainted food, they have to stick to fresh fruits and vegetables. Dean is not happy:Dean: I can't do this, man. I can't live on rabbit food. I'm--I'm a warrior.
Sam: Dean, you'll be fine.
Dean: You don't know that.
- And Then What?: Sam is a little more cautious about proceeding with the Kill Dick plan than Dean is.
- Badass Boast:
- The Alpha talks of having witnessed continental drifts.
- When the Alpha points out there are seven billion humans, Edgar just sneers, "Only seven billion."
- Bavarian Fire Drill: You don't even need one when the citizens are so apathetic they barely react to your drawing a syringeful of blood in public.
- Blah Blah Blah: Crowley when discussing how he knows that the Alpha Vampire is still alive:Crowley: Keep your friends close, your enemies, blah blah.
- Blood Magic: Crowley's blood is one of the ingredients, but Crowley refuses to hand any over until all the other pieces for the weapon are assembled, as it could be used against him.
- Bound and Gagged: Kevin, but he's quickly released, to his surprise.
- Cliffhanger:Dean: It's a good thing we got Crowley in our corner. Right? Seeing as how it all comes down to him. What could possibly go wrong?
[in Dick's office]
Crowley: Hello, Dick.
- Colliding Criminal Conspiracies
- Continuity Nod: The guy the brothers get blood from for leverage against the Alpha Vampire is wearing a Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie shirt.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: Crowley burns the location of the Alpha Vampire into the table with hellfire.Dean: He could have just used a piece of paper.
- Decapitated Army: Discussed. Sam and Dean aren't sure if "cut off the head and the body will flounder" means killing Dick will actually wipe out his followers or if they'll just be left with a leaderless army of Leviathans.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Emily's story makes the Alpha sound almost exactly like a pedophile.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: The Alpha's mooks bounce Dean's head off the table after he sasses their boss.
- Double Entendre: "What makes Dick so hard to beat?"Crowley: I'm all for chopping Dick, but...
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Dean grumbles that when they returned the child, the police assumed the Winchesters kidnapped him, and they had to escape with a Super Window Jump.
- Enemy Mine: The Alpha, though he's smart enough to verify the Winchesters' claims first.
- Fallen Angel: The blood of one is needed as part of the weapon to kill a Leviathan. Castiel obliges.
- Freudian Slip:Dick: Which is why we're diving whole-hog into what keeps Americans living longer and tasting better.
Gloria: You do mean, of course, to say the food will be tasting better.
Dick: That's exactly what I mean.
- Friendly Ghost: Averted; Sam says there's no lore about a friendly ghost, as they inevitably go bad.
- Ghost Butler: After locking Bobby's flask in the safe, the door slams on them as the Winchesters try to leave.
- Ghostly Chill: Bobby's starts making mirrors ice up.
- Gigantic Gulp: Blood-Giving Guy.
- Grand Theft Me: At the end of this episode, Bobby learns how to possess people.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: The Alpha's guards confiscated their machettes, but missed the huge syringe of vampire killing juice in Dean's boot. Wouldn't that mean they missed their lockpicks too?
- If I Do Not Return: The Winchesters leave Jody Mill's number with Emma.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Emma. Subverted, of course.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The Alpha telling the Winchesters "See you next season."
- Master of Unlocking: Sam picks a lock with an IV tube.
- Mind over Matter: Bobby the Poltergeist.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Dick Roman tries to bribe Kevin Tran into translating the Word for him. When Kevin refuses, Dick reveals that they're holding Kevin's mother hostage.
- The Password is Always "Swordfish": Dean puts Bobby's flask in the hotel safe to keep his spirit from following them. What numbers does he use to lock the safe? Bobby's birthday.
- Pet the Dog: The Alpha stops the Winchesters from hurting Emma, and (reluctantly) agrees to hand over the other child he's raising.
- Pink Is Feminine: Emma's room.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: As the brothers leave, the Alpha Vampire says to them, "See you next season."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The Winchesters confine Bobby to the hotel room so he won't go off the rails, but this only makes him frustrated enough to do that anyway.
- The Nose Knows: Edgar smells Dean's blood on the table and demands the Alpha hand over the Winchesters.
- Not Quite Dead: Turns out the Alpha Vampire escaped before Castiel's purge of Crowley's prison in "Caged Heat".
- Plot Coupon: Unfortunately Dick is smart enough to grab one of the pieces.
- Punch Catch: Edgar to a vampire. Makes it easier to shapeshift into his form.
- Remonstrating With A Gun: Sam and Dean put away their big vampire-killing knives so as not to alarm Emma.
- Sci-Fi Name Buzzwords: Dean's "vamptonite". It's a thing.
- Schmuck Bait: Sam and Dean find the Alpha's door open. Have the vampires abandoned the place, Dean wonders? Nope.
- Stab the Scorpion: Edgar walks up behind Kevin wielding a knife... and cuts his bonds.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Lampshaded by Dean. Emma is rescued by the Winchesters, but regards the Alpha as her "Father" and tips him off that the Winchesters are on their way.
- Take That!: Kardashian = "bloodsucker".
- Tear Off Your Face: The Alpha would really like to do this to the Winchesters for the whole torture thing.
- Technology Marches On: In-Universe; Emma doesn't recognize a mobile phone.
- Undeathly Pallor: Bobby ain't looking so good.
- Violence Is the Only Option: Averted; Sam believes that Storming the Castle is suicide, and they should try persuasion. Later when it looks like they're going to fight the Alpha after all, it's the Alpha who backs down.
- Virgin Power: Why Emma was abducted as a child and held prisoner for years by the Alpha, so he can have a supply of virgin blood reserved for him alone.
- We Will Meet Again: The Winchesters and the Alpha part, knowing full well they're going to try and kill each other in future.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Spoken word-for-word, albeit in Sarcasm Mode. Sure enough...
- You Said You Would Let Them Go: Averted; Dick releases Kevin's mother, but with a warning to keep her mouth shut. After all, he still has Kevin as his prisoner to ensure this.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Edgar intends to kill and eat the Alpha so his blood can't be used against Dick Roman. When he realizes the Winchesters are there, Edgar briefly plays along with the Alpha's assumption that he's here for them, but drops the pretense once it's clear the Alpha knows about the Leviathans plan to poison their food supply.
- Your Mom: Edgar tells the Alpha Vampire exactly what he thinks about Eve:Edgar: Your mommy was a whore.
- Your Television Hates You: Trapped in the hotel room, Bobby's temper is not improved by the puff piece on Dick Roman showing on TV.