Season 7, Episode 14
Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie
The brothers return to Kansas to investigate a children's pizza parlor that is connected to the death of several parents whose children all attended parties there. While Dean confronts the individual responsible, Sam has to deal with his worst fear: clowns.
- Anachronic Order: The episode flips between Sam fighting a pair of clowns, and Sam and Dean investigating their current case sixty hours earlier.
- Call Back: Sam's fear of clowns. The Previously On segment even showed scenes from a previous episode which aired 5 years prior to this one.
- Continuity Nod: Dean decides to forgo sex for a while, after what happened the last time.
- Breather Episode
- Brick Joke: From episode 2x13 "Houses of the Holy": "You know, there's a ton of lore on unicorns, too. In fact, I hear that they ride silver moonbeams and shoot rainbows out their ass!"
- Disproportionate Retribution
- The End... Or Is It?: The toy clown Dean gives to Sam winks at the camera.
- Freudian Excuse: The villain blames his parents for letting his brother die.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Sam does this without the "Good Cop" part.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: The villain calls someone a "B word".
- Heh Heh, You Said X: "Ball washer."
- He Knows Too Much
- How We Got Here
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Discussed, Dean fears this will happen to him since he's at Plucky's by himself.
- Monster Clown
- Mushroom Samba: One employee mentions smoking shrooms in the ball pit.
- Nightmare Fuel: In-Universe: The robotic greeter.
- Red Herring
- Shout-Out: "We don't care that you broke bad, or whatever".
- Survival Mantra: "If it bleeds, you can kill it."
- And another from Sam at the end of the episode: "Getting my ass kicked by those Juggalos tonight, it was... therapeutic."
- Suck E. Cheese's: The titular pizza parlor. Sam used to be dropped off there when he and Dean were younger, and it appears to be the source of his fear of clowns.
- The Tooth Hurts: Sam knocks one of the clowns' teeth out.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Invoked, the victims are getting killed by the kids' worst fears.
- For Sam it's still clowns. And two of them beat the crap out of him, so that could have made it worse.
- You Know What You Did: Sam as part of his "Bad Cop" routine.