Season 7, Episode 14
Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical MenagerieWritten by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.Directed by Mike Rohl.Air Date: February 10, 2012.The brothers head to Wichita, Kansas, to investigate a children's pizza parlor that is connected to the death of several parents whose children all attended parties there. While Dean confronts the individual responsible, Sam has to deal with his worst fear: clowns.
Body Count:For this episode = 4 humans.For the series so far = At least 778 humans (of which 6 were witches), 89 demons, 55 angels, 36 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 15 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 kitsunes, 2 vetalas, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, 1 Leviathan, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Anachronic Order: The episode flips between Sam fighting a pair of clowns, and Sam and Dean investigating their current case sixty hours earlier.
- Call Back: Sam's fear of clowns. The Road So Far showed scenes from an episode that aired five years prior to this one.
- Continuity Nod: Dean decides to forgo sex for a while, after what happened the last time.Dean: You spawn a monster baby, see how quick you want to dive back in the pool.
- Breather Episode
- Brick Joke: From "Houses of the Holy" (S02, E13): "You know, there's a ton of lore on unicorns, too. In fact, I hear that they ride silver moonbeams and shoot rainbows out their ass!" The unicorn that appears in this episode does, in fact, have rainbows coming out of its ass. No silver moonbeams ridden, though.
- Disproportionate Retribution
- The End... Or Is It?: The toy clown Dean gives to Sam winks at the camera.
- Freudian Excuse: The villain blames his parents for letting his brother die.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Sam does this without the "Good Cop" part.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: The villain calls someone a "b-word".
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": "Ball washer."
- He Knows Too Much
- How We Got Here
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The second victim thinks he escaped the homicidal unicorn, only to get impaled through a fence by the unicorn's horn.
- Magical Clown
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Discussed. Dean fears this will happen to him since he's at Plucky's seemingly by himself.Dean: Guy in his thirties hanging out at Plucky's alone—that's normal. That's not pervy at all.
- Monster Clown
- Mushroom Samba: One employee mentions smoking 'shrooms in the ball pit.
- Nightmare Fuel: In-Universe: The robotic greeter.
- Red Herring
- Shout-Out: "We don't care that you broke bad, or whatever."
- Survival Mantra: "If it bleeds, you can kill it."
- And another from Sam at the end of the episode: "Getting my ass kicked by those Juggalos tonight, it was...therapeutic."
- Suck E. Cheese's: The titular pizza parlor. Sam used to be dropped off there when he and Dean were younger, and it appears to be the source of his fear of clowns.
- The Tooth Hurts: Sam knocks one of the clowns' teeth out.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Invoked. The victims are getting killed by the kids' worst fears.
- For Sam, it's still clowns. And two of them beat the crap out of him, so that could have made it worse. He says it helped, but...
- You Know What You Did: Sam as part of his "Bad Cop" routine.