Previous: Supernatural S 07 E 19 Of Grave ImportanceRecap of Supernatural
Next: Supernatural S 07 E 21 Reading Is Fundamental
Next: Supernatural S 07 E 21 Reading Is Fundamental
Season 7, Episode 20
The Girl With The Dungeons And Dragons TattooWritten by Robbie Thompson.Directed by Johnny MacCarthy.Air Date: April 27, 2012.Bobby finally reveals the Leviathan's ultimate plans to Sam and Dean: to turn all of humanity into healthy, mindless livestock.Meanwhile, a hacker named Charlie working for Dick Roman inadvertently finds out everything about the Leviathans and teams up with the Winchesters to hack into Dick's email and find out what else the Leviathans have planned.
Body Count:For this episode = 1 human and 1 Leviathan.For the series so far = At least 802 humans (of which 6 were witches), 97 demons, 55 angels, 47 ghosts, 36 Jefferson Starships, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 15 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 3 dogs, 3 Leviathan, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 vetalas, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Adorkable: Charlie. In spades.
- Ascended Fangirl: Averted. Despite having a clear admiration for Action Girls as well as a love of all things Fantasy and Sci-Fi, Charlie is extremely reluctant to put herself in danger and only does what she knows she is capable of doing (hacking and corporate espionage).
- Always Wanted To Say That: "I'm in."
- Baddie Flattery: Dick to Charlie.
- Big Brother Instinct: Sam and Dean become quite protective of Charlie, even though they know her for all of a day or so. Dean even lampshades it:Dean: She's kinda like the little sister I never wanted.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer:Roman: Tell me, how does a high school dropout become one of the brightest minds at Roman, Inc.?Charlie: Um, honestly? Historically, I've had this problem with—with authority, no offense, so I realized the only way I could get away with being me was to be as...indispensable...as possible.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Charlie learns about Leviathans, and reasonably assumes the person she got the info from is nuts. Then she accidentally learns they're real, and promptly tries to pack up and vanish. When the Winchesters show up, she reasonably assumes they're Leviathans, until they prove otherwise. For the duration of the episode, she tries to stick to her skill set instead of getting in fights. After the day is saved, she promptly gets on a bus (literally) and vanishes.
- Dissonant Serenity: Dick's response to seeing the Borax bomb in the case to calmly ask "Now who could've done that?"
- Embarrassing Tattoo: Charlie has one of Princess Leia in her slave bikini riding a twenty-sided die. In her defense, she was drunk and at Comic-Con.Dean: We've all been there.
- Establishing Character Moment: Charlie comes into work listening to "Walking on Sunshine". When out of sight in an elevator, she rocks out happily to the music but composes herself the moment the elevator doors open again.
- Foe Yay: Dick's treatment of a very uncomfortable Charlie give off these vibes. To be fair, he doesn't realize she's an enemy until a Borax bomb goes off in his face.
- Ghostly Chill: Dick, unaware that Bobby's ghost is behind him. "Is it me, or did it just drop ten degrees in here?"
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: Averted. The security guard that Charlie flirts her way past lets her through, but eventually notices that she's been in the bathroom way too long and goes to see what's going on, forcing her to improvise.
- Hollywood Nerd/Small Reference Pools: Charlie is a fan of Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and Wonder Woman.
- Ho Yay: Dean helping Charlie flirt with the security guard.Dean: [to Sam] This never happened.
- Meaningful Name: Charlie Bradbury. Justified as Charlie hinted that she made it up to give herself a new identity.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Well, it's Felicia Day!
- Not My Type: Dean suggests Charlie flirt her way past a security guard.Charlie: I can't. He's not my type.Dean: You're gonna have to play through that.Charlie: As in, he's not a girl.Dean: Oh, oh. [beat] Pretend he has boobs.Charlie: Worse.
- Once More with Clarity: A few times.
- One Steve Limit: This isn't the first time the boys have had a girl named Charlie helping them out on a case.
- People Farms: The Leviathans' master plan.
- Password Slot Machine: When Charlie is hacking into Dick's computer.
- Playful Hacker: Some people surf the net when no one's looking at work. Charlie diverts funds from the Republican Party to Animal Lovers.
- Refusal of the Call: Charlie is very reluctant to put herself in danger and, after her part is done, puts herself on a bus and tells Sam and Dean never to contact her again.
- Repeat After Me: Dean telling Charlie what to say to flirt with the security guard.Dean: [to Sam, who's laughing] Stop laughing, Sammy!Charlie: Stop laughing, Sammy![beat]Charlie: Uh...you don't know that new bar? Stop Laughing Sammy? That place is bringing sexy back. Which is easy...Dean: Stop talking, Charlie.Charlie: ...cause they kept the receipt. Stop talking, Charlie.
- Veronica Mars.
- "Is this real life?"
- "It's right in the middle of the Death Star." Cut to Charlie wearing a Princess Leia T-shirt.
- Charlie Bradbury's alias is made up of the name of a Stephen King character for her first name ("Charlene") and the surname of a famous science fiction writer.
- The title of the episode is one to both The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Dungeons & Dragons.
- Several to WarGames when Charlie is trying to hack the hard drive.
- "The Eye of Sauron is on me."
- Some Humans Are Special: Dick marvels at Charlie's "spark" and the fact that he could clone her and copy her mind, but never replace what makes her a genius hacker.
- Spirit Advisor: Bobby. "Let's Yoda this!"
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: "Your password is "winning" with two 1s? Faaail!"
- Subverted earlier: While trying to hack into Frank's encrypted hard drive, Charlie thinks she found the password in the remarkably simple "WarGames" when this yields results. Then Frank's hard drive opens a program revealing that it's a false lead and taunts her.
- Tomboyish Name: Charlie. It's not her real name, though.
- Ultimate Job Security: Discussed and invoked. Charlie figured the best way to get away with her illegal activities was to make herself as indispensable as possible.
- What Would X Do?: Sam motivates Charlie to go through her dangerous mission by asking her what Hermione would do.
- Worst Whatever Ever: Worst. Good luck charm. Ever.
- You Have Failed Me: This time, Dick doesn't bother "bibbing" the offending minion. "Bib you? Why would I waste a perfectly good meal?" CHOMP.