Worst Whatever Ever
"Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world."So Bob and Alice have just finished a harrowing experience and a witty one liner is needed to sum up the entire situation. What ever will our intrepid heroes do?
— Comic Book Guy, The Simpsons, "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show"
"Worst X Ever!"Well played, heroes! This is a Stock Phrase used to quickly demean and insult something or someone. It is normally delivered in a flat, sarcastic voice, but can also be yelled at in stressful situations. It often occurs during or after a heavy action or chase sequence, to refer to an activity that would normally be quite enjoyable if it weren't for the life-threatening situation that was just encountered. The Trope Maker is Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, who frequently denounces whatever he doesn't like as the "Worst. <X>. Ever." Though, as indicated by the quote, first said when he viewed the introduction episode of Poochie in Itchy & Scratchy. A more verbose variant would be to say, "This is the worst X in the long history of X..." Compare Worst News Judgment Ever which is an example of this very trope on This Very Wiki. Contrast with It's the Best Whatever, Ever! Also see Beergasm, an inversion of this trope on This Very Wiki, and Punctuated! For! Emphasis!, a sister phrase.
Worst. Examples. Ever!
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Appears in Dork Tower when Carson the Muskrat meets a bunch of costumed furries at a convention.
- Non Sequitur
"Another inaction-packed adventure of CONGRESS-MAN. Worst-Superhero-EVER."
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Movie invokes this early on:
Archaeologist 1: The pyramid's collapsing! And I had such a full life ahead of me!
Archaeologist 2: Run away! Run away!
Archaeologist 3: This is the worst honeymoon ever!
- Inverted when Seto Kaiba learns that he's destined to play card games with Yugi forever: "Best. Destiny. Ever."
- In Oh God Not Again, Sirius calls himself the worst guardian ever after Harry dies again. Harry assures him he couldn't possibly be worse than the Dursley's were. For some reason, Sirius doesn't find this comforting.
- Subverted in I'm a Marvel... and I'm a DC. On the prospect of Marvel losing the Transformers right, Spider-Man is about to say "This is the worst decision that Marvel has ever made!" Until Deadpool showed him the severed head of Dudepeel (his version from X-Men Origins: Wolverine), in which Spidey retracted his Transformers comment into "This is the second worst decision that Marvel has ever made!"
- In Retro Chill, Evil Calvin screams at an ice cream vendor that their chocolate ice cream was the worst he's ever had.
Films — Live-Action
- Zack and Miri Make a Porno:
Zack and Miri: Worst porno ever.
- Easy A:
Greeting card: I've got a pocket got a pocket full of sunshine...
Olive: (close the card) Bleh. Worst. Song. Ever.
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Ian Malcolm: Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.
- In Love Actually, Sarah and Mark have this exchange when they try to change the topic of some awkward dialogue they had had previously.
Mark: Yes. Erm... This DJ, what do you reckon?
Sarah: The worst in history?
Mark: Probably. I think it all hangs on the next song.
DJ: Now here's one for the lovers. That's quite a few of you, I shouldn't be surprised and a half.
("Puppy Love" begins to play)
Mark: He's done it, it's official.
Sarah: Worst DJ in the world.
- Jenny and Jamie in Euro Trip: "Worst. Twins. Ever."
- In 2011, a film titled The Worst Movie Ever! was released. The public apparently believed the title as the film grossed eleven dollars. (Attempts to find the only person to buy a ticket have failed.)
- Veronica Mars:
Veronica: Worst. Easter Egg Hunt. Ever.
- Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor yells, "Worst! Rescue! Ever!" in "The End of Time" as the Vinvocci wheel him out of Naismith's house. Down a flight of stairs.
Chandler: That was the worst thing ever. And not just on TV!
- Chandler tries to watch porn, but accidentally watches a video of a birth. He doesn't catch on for a minute. "Worst porn ever! Worst porn ever!"
- Chandler has another brilliant one when the Friends watch Joey's new show, Mac and Cheese.
- Gossip Girl has an episode where Chuck and Blair set each other up for dates with people who are (in Blair's words) Canal Street knockoffs of themselves. They walk off to argue about how the other set them up with a cheap copy and return to find their dates making out.
Blair: Worst out-of-body experience ever!
- Glee: "Worst henchmen ever."
- How I Met Your Mother: After Lily and Ted come clean to Marshall about making out the night before Lily and Marshall first met, this exchange takes place:
Ted: I'm TooMuchTongueGuy.
Lily: And I'm UnreasonablySmallMouthOpeningGirl.
Barney: Worst superheroes ever.
- In The Big Bang Theory episode "The Codpiece Topology", Sheldon expresses his dissatisfaction with Anachronism Stew:
Sheldon: Worst. Renaissance. Fair. Ever.
- Modern Family: Haley to Claire in the episode Someone to Watch Over Lily, while Mitchell and Cameron are trying to decide who Lily's guardian should be:
Haley: You win the award for Worst Mother Ever!
Claire: I will be sure to thank you in my speech!
- Bones: in the ninth season episode "The Woman In White" Hodgins starts an office pool as to how soon Booth and Brennan would cancel their impending wedding. For the record, Brennan's dad won by betting that they would not cancel.
Cam: Worst friends ever.
- Season 9 of Canada's Worst Driver was to determine which of the Worst Drivers was the Worst Driver Ever.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Halfway through Season 4, just when the Scooby Gang have their hands full with an unstoppable rogue demon cyborg and a Government Conspiracy that's running out of control, Buffy's Evil Counterpart Faith wakes up from her Convenient Coma to seek revenge.
Xander: I guess this wins the Worst Timing Ever Award.
- In the Relient K hidden track "Silly Shoes" they have what they they call the "Worst Freestyle Ever".
"Wait... Hold up... Gimme a second... Shoot!... OK... Here we go! Apples are green, and carrots are orange! And then you go... and then you go... wha? What the? What rhymes with orange? Oh, geez! Can I start over?"
- The Offspring's "The Worst Hangover Ever".
- The Great Luke Ski has an album called Worst Album Ever. In reference to the latter, some of his friends put together a tribute album called Worst Tribute Ever.
- There exists a play titled The Worstest Play Ever Wrote.
- In Season 1, Episode 5 of the Telltale Adventure Games, Sam has this to say of dirty rat Jimmy Two-Teeth when he becomes an Arms Merchant, and refuses to sell to the Freelance Police: "Worst. Arms dealer. Ever."
- In Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, Guybrush has this to say about the Shrunken Heads in the Voodoo Lady's shack: "Worst. Air freshener. Ever."
- Army of Two: The 40th Day. This is Salem's response when he and Rios have to fight their way through the Shanghai Zoo. Which comes as no surprise as the first thing the mercs there did was slaughter all the animals, not to mention all the fighting they had to do inside.
- Final Fantasy XIII's backstory has Lightning say "Worst. Birthday. Ever." in regards to her sister Serah having been engaged to Snow and claiming to have been made a Pulse l'Cie, which she thinks is a lie, which would have been bad enough, but if she's telling the truth, she's 1. a thing that's generally hated and feared, and 2. destined to become either a crystal or a shambling monster, depending on whether or not she completes a task whose nature is generally communicated rather poorly, to say the least. It really was a terrible day, and was about to get worse: the entire town, including Serah (but excluding the military) was to be purged to prevent the curse from spreading.
- From Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions: "Lamest. Supervillain. Ever."
- The Simpsons licensed games:
- Shows up in The Simpsons Game, unsurprisingly: Comic Book Guy dubs an Escort Mission "worst videogame cliché ever".
- In The Simpsons: Hit & Run, Comic Book Guy says this of the "special effects" making up aliens' space ship. Homer indignantly points out that the ship is in fact real, but Comic Book Guy sticks to his opinion.
- In Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, Larxene declares that her assignment to teach Roxas the magic command is the "Worst. Mission. Ever."
- In The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, if you beat The Neuromancer as The Dishwasher, the cut scene afterward has him remark "Worst. Headache. Ever."
- Jade Empire sees Lovable Pervert Lustful Lau respond to questions which do not pertain to his sole area of interest (no points for guessing) with "Worst. Question. Ever," in what is unmistakably an imitation of Comic Book Guy... in Imperial China.
- One chapter of Bulletstorm is entitled "Worst Family Fun Vacation Ever", and Gray exclaims this verbatim while he and Ishi are wandering through an abandoned amusement park attraction crawling with goons.
- In Fable III, one quest involves the Hero/Heroine being shrunk down to take part in a Dungeons & Dragons-type game. At one point, the Hero/Heroine has to pull a lever to which none of the three Dungeon Masters had given a purpose. Improvising, the one proposes that the lever releases a cloud of beautiful butterflies, at which another pointedly comments "Worst. Game. Ever."
- One of the real life merchandise for RuneScape is a T-shirt with the words "Worst Update Ever".
- An unmarked quest in Fallout 3, in which the Lone Wanderer attempts to fix the Citadel's malfunctioning medical robot, is called "Worst. Doctor. Ever."
- The ending to Makoto's gag reel in BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND is summed up in this trope due to the myriad events that proceeded to, as Makoto herself said, balls it up.
"No! That's not what happened at all! This was the worst reenactment ever! Y'all SUCK!"
- In Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers, Layle says Blaze was the worst partner ever.
- Far Cry 3: If Jason saves his girlfriend from the burning hotel, the player gets an Achievement called "Worst Date Ever."
- Homestar Runner uses this one. A lot. It also frequently uses the variation "worst X bucks I ever spent."
- Red vs. Blue:
Wash: Caboose! Throw the grenade!
- Reconstruction gives us what is probably a contender for best example of this trope in the first fight against the Meta:
(Caboose throws the Spike Grenade... which sticks to the wall they're crouching behind)
Wash: That. Was the worst throw. Ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.
Doc: Wash! Here! Take this!
- Later in Revelation:
(Doc waves tow hook attached to jeep)
Wash: Doc? Throw it! Throw it!
(Doc throws the hook about two feet)
Wash: You have GOT to be kidding me...
(Wash leaps and grabs the hook and climbs up the cable)
Wash: That was the second worst throw. Ever. Of all time.
Doc: What do you want from me? I ran track in high school.
Wash: What the hell? It bounces? Who designs a gun that bounces? This is the worst gun ever. Of all ti—
- It's something of a Running Gag with Wash.
(Carolina tackles him)
Tucker: (to Church) You're like the worst wingman ever.
- And then everyone else starts getting in on it.
Caboose: Of all time.
- Neurotically Yours, when Germains complaints about her getting fat escalate into ass-jokes and wild burping, Foamy refuses to continue with the episode, going on strike and calling it "The worst cartoon ever made".
- Looking for Group: "Worst Portal Ever."
- Left-Handed Toons combines this with The Reveal in the line below this comic: "Worst Eulogy Ever."
- Girls with Slingshots: "Worst. Bachelor party. EVER." But inverted in the last panel.
- Least I Could Do
- Darths & Droids: "Worst. Adventure. Ever."
- Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures : "Worst. Castle. Ever."
- The Order of the Stick
Roy Greenhilt: Ugh, if that's it, that is the most lame-ass prophecy in the long history of lame-ass prophecies.
Girard: Geez, you've got to be the dumbest villain EVER.
- The flashback in strip #276:
Lirian: Really? You think he's worse than Baron Pineapple?
- In Girl Genius, Gilgamesh Wulfenbach after falling victim to the Exploding Closet.
Gil: That's the worst filing system I've ever seen.
- In El Goonish Shive, the title of one strip is: "Worst. Taunt. EVER."
- In Let's Destroy The Metal Gear Again!
Raiden: YOU'RE THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER.
- Texts from Last Night
She used her cellphone as a light to find my clit under the sheets. worst.lesbian.ever.
- The Autobiography of Jane Eyre: In the sidebar comment on her video, Jane, who just escaped a very frightening situation, discovers that there is dust on her lens, causing her to declare it officially the worst day ever.
- Half in the Bag: Mike's liberal use of this trope has become a Running Gag at this point: On separate occasions he has declared The Amazing Spiderman 2, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Jack and Jill, Things, and Conan the Barbarian (2011) to be "the worst thing/movie (he) has ever seen".
- According to The Nostalgia Critic in his review of North, this movie contains the "Worst Joke Ever!!!!!!" (yes, with that many exclamation marks), which he deems worthy of a round of applause and fireworks.
- The Simpsons: The Trope Maker, of course.
- Introduced by Comic Book Guy in "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show".
- In the eleventh season's "Saddlesore Galactica", Comic Book Guy criticizes the episode, which recycles old plots and character traits ("Excuse me, I believe this family already had a horse", Marge's gambling). As the episode proceeds, he wears a "Worst Episode Ever" shirt. When the credits end at the Gracie Films production logo, he says, "Worst. Episode. Ever."
- Appropriately enough, the twelfth-season episode "Worst Episode Ever" centers around Bart and Milhouse taking over Comic Book Guy's store after he suffers a cardiac episode (a heart attack). Which CBG refers to as, of course, "Worst episode ever."
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
Toph: Worst. Vacation. Ever.
- Toph calls Ba Sing Se the "Worst. City. Ever." based on the rules the Dai Li imposes.
- And "Worst. Fieldtrip. Ever." (Again by Toph. Can you tell that she loves this trope?)
- Earlier in the episode "Avatar Day", Sokka summed up the whole experience: "Worst. Town. Ever."
- The Legend of Korra plays this for drama and humor in the same episode. when Korra gets so frustrated over her airbending block she calls herself the worst Avatar ever, Tenzin assures her she'll get through it. When she applies the same trope to Tarlokk's new puppet police chief, he completely agrees.
Korra: You are officially the worst chief of police ever.
Tenzin: Calm down Korra. I'll get this sorted out, we just need to be patient. But you really are the worst. (starts to go, then turns) EVER.
- Korra herself is called the "worst Avatar ever" by an angry child in the second season for not standing up to the Northern Water Tribe invasion of the South.
- The Season 4 episode "The Coronation" has two. First, Prince Wu declares the titular coronation "Worst Coronation Ever" due to Kuvira stealing his thunder (and kingdom). Second, Toph declares Korra the worst Avatar she's ever had to work with... then points out that there's only one other Avatar she's worked with, but still.
- Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes:
Sue: I know, I know: we're the Worst. Neighbors. Ever. Right?
- Jimmy Two-Shoes: "Lamest. Prize. Ever."
- The Cleveland Show:
Comic Book Guy: Worst. Cameo. Ever
- The Fairly OddParents
- In "Fairly Odd Baby", Jorgen described one of Timmy's plans as "Worst. Plan. Ever."
- In "Wishology", Jorgen commented, "Worst. Chosen One. Ever."
- In "Pinkie Apple Pie", after most of the "Best (insert thing) ever!"s, Applejack declares their trip the "Worst family road trip. Ever."
Worst Stinger Ever!