"Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world."
— Comic Book Guy
, The Simpsons
, "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show"
So Bob and Alice have just finished a harrowing experience and a witty one liner is needed to sum up the entire situation. What ever will our intrepid heroes do?
"Worst X Ever!"
Well played, heroes!
This is a Stock Phrase
used to quickly demean and insult something or someone. It is normally delivered in a flat, sarcastic voice, but can also be yelled at in stressful situations. It often occurs during or after a heavy action or chase sequence, to refer to an activity that would normally be quite enjoyable if it weren't for the life-threatening situation that was just encountered.
The Trope Maker
is Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons
, who frequently denounces whatever he doesn't like as the "Worst. <X>
. Ever." Though, as indicated by the quote, first said when he viewed the introduction episode of Poochie in Itchy & Scratchy
A more verbose variant would be to say, "This is the worst X in the long history of X..."
Compare Worst News Judgment Ever
which is an example of this very trope on This Very Wiki
. Contrast with It's the Best Whatever, Ever!
Also see Beergasm
, an inversion of this trope on This Very Wiki
, and Punctuated! For! Emphasis!
, a sister phrase.
Worst. Examples. Ever!
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
Films — Live-Action
- Then she plays it for two days straight.
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Ian Malcolm: Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.
- In Love Actually, Sarah and Mark have this exchange when they try to change the topic of some awkward dialogue they had had previously.
Mark: Yes. Erm... This DJ, what do you reckon?
Sarah: The worst in history?
Mark: Probably. I think it all hangs on the next song.
DJ: Now here's one for the lovers. That's quite a few of you, I shouldn't be surprised and a half.
("Puppy Love" begins to play)
Mark: He's done it, it's official.
Sarah: Worst DJ in the world.
- Jenny and Jamie in Euro Trip: "Worst. Twins. Ever."
- In 2011, a film titled The Worst Movie Ever! was released. The public apparently believed the title as the film grossed eleven dollars. (Attempts to find the only person to buy a ticket have failed.)
- Veronica Mars:
Veronica: Worst. Easter Egg Hunt. Ever.
- Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor yells, "Worst! Rescue! Ever!" in "The End of Time" as the Vinvocci wheel him out of Naismith's house. Down a flight of stairs.
- Chandler tries to watch porn, but accidentally watches a video of a birth. He doesn't catch on for a minute. "Worst porn ever! Worst porn ever!"
- Chandler has another brilliant one when the Friends watch Joey's new show, Mac and Cheese.
Chandler: That was the worst thing ever. And not just on TV!
- Gossip Girl has an episode where Chuck and Blair set each other up for dates with people who are (in Blair's words) Canal Street knockoffs of themselves. They walk off to argue about how the other set them up with a cheap copy and return to find their dates making out.
Blair: Worst out-of-body experience ever!
- Glee: "Worst henchmen ever."
- How I Met Your Mother: After Lily and Ted come clean to Marshall about making out the night before Lily and Marshall first met, this exchange takes place:
Ted: I'm TooMuchTongueGuy.
Lily: And I'm UnreasonablySmallMouthOpeningGirl.
Barney: Worst superheroes ever.
- In The Big Bang Theory episode "The Codpiece Topology", Sheldon expresses his dissatisfaction with Anachronism Stew:
Sheldon: Worst. Renaissance. Fair. Ever.
- Modern Family: Haley to Claire in the episode Someone to Watch Over Lily, while Mitchell and Cameron are trying to decide who Lily's guardian should be:
Haley: You win the award for Worst Mother Ever!
Claire: I will be sure to thank you in my speech!
- Bones: in the ninth season episode "The Woman In White" Hodgins starts an office pool as to how soon Booth and Brennan would cancel their impending wedding. For the record, Brennan's dad won by betting that they would not cancel.
Cam: Worst friends ever.
- Season 9 of Canada's Worst Driver was to determine which of the Worst Drivers was the Worst Driver Ever.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Halfway through Season 4, just when the Scooby Gang have their hands full with an unstoppable rogue demon cyborg and a Government Conspiracy that's running out of control, Buffy's Evil Counterpart Faith wakes up from her Convenient Coma to seek revenge.
Xander: I guess this wins the Worst Timing Ever Award.
- In the Relient K hidden track "Silly Shoes" they have what they they call the "Worst Freestyle Ever".
"Wait... Hold up... Gimme a second... Shoot!... OK... Here we go! Apples are green, and carrots are orange! And then you go... and then you go... wha? What the? What rhymes with orange? Oh, geez! Can I start over?"
- The Offspring's "The Worst Hangover Ever".
- The Great Luke Ski has an album called Worst Album Ever. In reference to the latter, some of his friends put together a tribute album called Worst Tribute Ever.
- There exists a play titled The Worstest Play Ever Wrote.
- Homestar Runner uses this one. A lot. It also frequently uses the variation "worst X bucks I ever spent."
- Red vs. Blue:
- Reconstruction gives us what is probably a contender for best example of this trope in the first fight against the Meta:
Wash: Caboose! Throw the grenade!
(Caboose throws the Spike Grenade... which sticks to the wall they're crouching behind)
Wash: That. Was the worst throw. Ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.
Wash! Here! Take this!
(Doc waves tow hook attached to jeep
Doc? Throw it! Throw it!
(Doc throws the hook about two feet
You have GOT to be kidding me...
(Wash leaps and grabs the hook and climbs up the cable
That was the second worst throw
. Ever. Of all time. Doc:
What do you want from me? I ran track in high school.
Wash: What the hell? It bounces? Who designs a gun that bounces? This is the worst gun ever. Of all ti—
(Carolina tackles him)
- And then everyone else starts getting in on it.
Tucker: (to Church) You're like the worst wingman ever.
Caboose: Of all time.
- Neurotically Yours, when Germains complaints about her getting fat escalate into ass-jokes and wild burping, Foamy refuses to continue with the episode, going on strike and calling it "The worst cartoon ever made".
- The Simpsons: The Trope Maker, of course.
- Introduced by Comic Book Guy in "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show".
- In the eleventh season's "Saddlesore Galactica", Comic Book Guy criticizes the episode, which recycles old plots and character traits ("Excuse me, I believe this family already had a horse", Marge's gambling). As the episode proceeds, he wears a "Worst Episode Ever" shirt. When the credits end at the Gracie Films production logo, he says, "Worst. Episode. Ever."
- Appropriately enough, the twelfth-season episode "Worst Episode Ever" centers around Bart and Milhouse taking over Comic Book Guy's store after he suffers a cardiac episode (a heart attack). Which CBG refers to as, of course, "Worst episode ever."
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Toph calls Ba Sing Se the "Worst. City. Ever." based on the rules the Dai Li imposes.
Worst. Vacation. Ever.
- And "Worst. Fieldtrip. Ever." (Again by Toph. Can you tell that she loves this trope?)
- Earlier in the episode "Avatar Day", Sokka summed up the whole experience: "Worst. Town. Ever."
- The Legend of Korra plays this for drama and humor in the same episode. when Korra gets so frustrated over her airbending block she calls herself the worst Avatar ever, Tenzin assures her she'll get through it. When she applies the same trope to Tarlokk's new puppet police chief, he completely agrees.
Korra: You are officially the worst chief of police ever.
Tenzin: Calm down Korra. I'll get this sorted out, we just need to be patient. But you really are the worst. (starts to go, then turns) EVER.
- Korra herself is called the "worst Avatar ever" by an angry child in the second season for not standing up to the Northern Water Tribe invasion of the South.
- The Season 4 episode "The Coronation" has two. First, Prince Wu declares the titular coronation "Worst Coronation Ever" due to Kuvira stealing his thunder (and kingdom). Second, Toph declares Korra the worst Avatar she's ever had to work with... then points out that there's only one other Avatar she's worked with, but still.
- Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes:
Sue: I know, I know: we're the Worst. Neighbors. Ever. Right?
- Jimmy Two-Shoes: "Lamest. Prize. Ever."
- The Cleveland Show:
- The Fairly OddParents
- In "Fairly Odd Baby", Jorgen described one of Timmy's plans as "Worst. Plan. Ever."
- In "Wishology", Jorgen commented, "Worst. Chosen One. Ever."
- In "Pinkie Apple Pie", after most of the "Best (insert thing) ever!"s, Applejack declares their trip the "Worst family road trip. Ever."