Recap: Supernatural S 07 E 19 Of Grave Importance
Recap of Supernatural Season 7, Episode 19
Of Grave Importance
Written by Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming.
Directed by Tim Andrew.
Air Date: April 20, 2012.
Sam and Dean get a call from Annie Hawkins, an old hunter friend, asking for help on a case. When they arrive in town, they find that Annie has disappeared. They trace her last whereabouts to an old abandoned house that is haunted by a powerful ghost. Unbeknownst to them, the ghost of Bobby is following them around, having tied himself to his old flask that they carry. He finds the house populated by mostly mindless ghosts and the spirit of Whitman Van Ness. Bobby discovers the ghost of Annie and the two try to solve the murders.
- Call Back: Dean's line towards the end of the episode about how "everything has an end" stems from his day filling in for Death in the episode "Appointment in Samarra" (S06, E11), where he learned to respect the natural order of life and death.
- Cessation of Existence: Discussed. Bobby and Annie believe this is what happens to ghosts whose bodies are burned.
- Character Development: Where Dean has previously resorted to resurrection and sťances in past seasons, in this one he speaks to Bobby's spirit about the natural order of things after death, likely due to learning just how such imbalances can hurt others last season when making his deal with Death.
- Dramatic Irony: Bobby tells Dean and Sam they didn't "know" Annie as well as he did. They did, actually, and they share an awkward look.
- Ethical Slut/Really Gets Around: Annie, apparently, who had slept with Bobby, Dean, and Sam at different times.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Bobby and Annie discover that, after time, ghosts develop a kind of Alzheimer's and eventually disintegrate into nothing. Loudly.
- They also speculate what occurs after spirits' bodies are salted and burned, concluding that it's probably nothing. Though previous episodes may contradict this.
- Haunted House: The Van Ness house.
- Insistent Terminology: Victoria was a "fancy lady", not a "hooker".
- Invisible Main Character: Bobby hasn't mastered the tricks of being a ghost, so he has difficulty alerting the Winchesters to his presence. This is extremely frustrating to him.
- One Steve Limit: Annie. There was already more than one character named Anna.
- Shout-Out: To Ghost, of course.
- Soul Power: Van Ness consumes ghosts to become more powerful.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Annie. Played with in that we meet and get to know her more after she dies.
- You Can See Me?: Bobby to the boys at the end of the episode.