There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
: (Hugging Marten
) Your armpits smell like daffodils.
Two people hug, then one of the two makes a comment, almost always about the other person, who will probably answer in an embarrassed way. The comment generally revolves around the hugged person's smell or some other awkward body feature.
A possible ending joke to a Golden Moment
. Expect it from Platonic Life Partners
or, in a more caustic tone, from Vitriolic Best Buds
. If the comment is about the awkwardness of the hug itself, then it could involve Heterosexual Life-Partners
who have been expressing more than their usual mutual affection
... especially if someone invokes Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
Anime and Manga
- An interesting one from Pokemon 3, a little girl's dreams/wishes are coming true because of a Pokemon (including bad stuff), and when the heroes finally face her and her fake Entei, said Entei is about to kill Ash's Charizard. But the girl calls off her Entei with a hug and says "I want things real again.". That's in the English dub, anyway. In the original Japanese, she hugs and says "you smell of flowers" or something, so plot stuff happens due to the smell of flowers OBVIOUSLY.
- In the Graphic Novel Persepolis, Marjane hugs her grandmother before falling asleep next to her, then asks the older woman how she kept her breasts so firm over the years.
- In Gerard Jones's Justice League of America, run, Nuklon plays one-on-one basketball with an alien as he tries to deal with his Ambiguously Gay teammate and (he thought until recently) Heterosexual Life Partner Obsidian saying "I love you" and getting understandably annoyed when Nuklon tried to qualify this. Eventually he works out his frustration and returns to give Obsidian a Man Hug.
Nuklon: I'm sorry I was such a jerk, Todd. I just want to tell you I ... I love you too, man.
Obsidian: You've touched me to the bottom of my heart, Albert. But next time you touch me, could you take a shower first?
- From Paul: "Clive, I can feel your boner."
- Phil to Ned from Groundhog Day: "I don't know where you're headed, but can you call in sick?" Note that this trope was purposely invoked by Phil to freak Ned out.
- In Smallville, Persona, Chloe tells Clark that his Evil Twin has her seriously worried when she hugs him after making sure he is the real Clark.
- In the final episode of Friends, Ross and Rachel finally decide to get together permanently, and they hug. Then, she says that they wouldn't be messing around any more, that this was it, and he decides to say "Unless we're on a break"... realising what a stupid comment that is, he stops and says to himself "Don't make jokes".
- Murdock does this in an episode of The A-Team when he hugs Face, who is about to leave the team because he got a pardon. It turns out be a setup.
"Nice, but I'd still prefer a tall blonde."
- In a rare non-humorous example from the Doctor Who episode "The Almost People", the ganger clone Doctor hugs Amy before saying cryptically: "Push, Amy."
- Firefly, as Simon hugs River:
: You are my beautiful sister. River
: I threw up on your bed. Simon
) Yep. Definitely my sister.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "Becoming, Part 2" while in the hospital Xander pulls Buffy into a hug to hide her from two policemen walking by. Buffy jokes that it was partially so he can grab a feel, but Xander's lack of response to the jibe tells her that Willow has been injured. In "I Was Made To Love You" Xander gives a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming to Buffy which earns him a hug — unfortunately Xander is strapped into a huge sumo suit which makes him totally immobile, causing him to moan, "Great, today's the day you chose to hug me."
- In one episode of How I Met Your Mother, Ted hugs Marshall after finding out that Marshall got a job offer, but Barney turns on a porno in the middle of their hug, causing Marshall to comment "It feels weird to be hugging when there's porn on" and the two of them jerk away from each other.
- Subverted in another episode, where Ted and Marshall are entwined together for warmth in a blizzard, and Marshall, sure he's going to die, is rambling about Lily:
Ted: Are you still thinking about Lily?
- In the episode "Business School" of The Office (US), Pam's art show is a bit of a bust with almost no one she knows showing up. Michael does, however, and clearly loves her painting of the office building, which moves her enough to hug him.
Pam: Do you have something in your pocket?
- In one episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (the one where Carlton accidentally takes drugs from Will's locker,) Will apologizes, and they hug. And then...
Carlton: You haven't showered yet today, have you?
- American Dad! has Roger doing this to Francine.
Francine: (Hugging Roger) Oh, Roger! You're back.
Roger: And you're starting to get lunch lady arms.
- Family Guy: Near the end of Season 8 episode Quagmire's Dad, Glenn hugs his father who has undergone sex reassignment surgery, then an embarrassed exchange implies that Glenn has got aroused.
- Futurama: Leela hugs Fry and mentions that "you smell like you've been rolling in New Jersey."
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, "Mac Daddy":
Bloo: I love you, brother! (hugs Cheese)
Cheese: I pooted.
- One episode of The Simpsons has Krusty and Sideshow Mel embrace after their Show Within a Show is back on the air. Then Mel murmurers "I love you Krusty", prompting him to recoil.
- In The Powerpuff Girls episode "Shut The Pup Up," at the end when the girls and Talking Dog share a group hug:
Talking Dog: Whoa, who cut the cheese?
- In an episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy , Eddy reluctantly lets Edd sleep over at his house. Edd hugs him eagerly:
Edd: Oh, thank you Eddy! You won't even know I'm there!
Eddy: Uhhhh...our faces are touching, Double D.