Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 08 Hunteri Heroici
Recap of Supernatural
Season 8, Episode 8
Season 8, Episode 8
- Accidental Misnaming: Mrs. Tate keeps addressing Castiel as her husband, "Charles".
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parent:
- Amelia's father, Stan, calls her munchkin.
- Later, Stan tells a story where Amelia walked on stage while playing the Sugarplum Fairy with toilet paper stuck on her foot and describes her as waddling and a "chubby kid".
- Animation Tropes
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Gravitational Cognizance. The jumper doesn't fall until he looks down.
- Toon Physics: Wherever Fred is situated, the immediate vicinity becomes a hot-spot for cartoon-like antics.
- X marks the spot: Anvils, rocks, and other heavy objects will land on the X, even if someone moves it.
- Draw a door: If you draw a door or a black hole on the wall, you can stroll right through it.
- Cranial Eruption: Jogger with a 4-inch lump after he hits his head.
- Circling Birdies: After Dean hits himself on the head with a book and after Dr. Mahoney hits Dean with the frying pan.
- Squashed Flat: The orderly slams his foot on the door and it flattens, but when he shakes the foot it blows back up.
- Face Imprint: After Dr. Mahoney hits Dean with the frying pan, there is a clear imprint of his face on the pan.
- "Bang!" Flag Gun
- Iris Out
- Anvil on Head
- Squashed Flat: The effect is a little more grotesque than usual...
- Armor-Piercing Question: When Naomi refuses to let Castiel back into Heaven, he asks what he should do now. Her response:"What do you want to do?"
- Berserk Button: Amelia warns Sam about her father's triggers.Amelia: Don't talk politics. Donít say anything bad about the Cowboys. And whatever you do, don't, do not, use the words "moist" or "irregardless".
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: Olivia, when Gary's heart explodes from his chest.
- Calling Shotgun: Castiel tries.Dean: [to Castiel] None of this zapping around crap. Capisce?Castiel: I capisce.Dean: All right, then. [walks to the driver's door]Castiel: Can I, uh, at least ride in the front seat?Dean and Sam: [Sam shoulders Castiel out of the way] No.
- Cardiovascular Love: Gary's love for Olivia leaves him with a heart-shaped hole in his chest.
- Catch Phrase:
Dean: [puts his arm through a black hole on a brick wall] Awesome.
- Dean's pops up.
Dean: [pointing his gun at Dr. Mahoney] What's up, doc?
- When Dean finds Dr. Mahoney in the bank he borrows one from Bugs Bunny.
- Cereal Induced Superpowers: Lampshaded when the orderly asks how Castiel healed the gunshot wound.Dean: Guy eats his Wheaties.
- Chroma Key: Part of the episode is filmed in green-screen: Initially a cartoon, then switching to static and We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties screens.
- Completely Missing the Point: Oh, Cas.Dean: It's wabbit season.Cas: I don't think you pronounced that right.
- Continuity Nod
- The jumper was committing suicide due to losing everything when Roman Industries tanked.
- Castiel reads John Winchester's journal and compliments his handwriting.
- When Sam is at the sink with Amelia's father, he rubs his hand in the same way he started to do in "Hello, Cruel World" (S07, E02) when Lucifer was torturing him.
- Cowboys and Indians: Lampshaded by Dean.
- Curse Cut Short:Castiel: So she's not a witch.Dean: Just the best wife ever.Castiel: Then what killed her husband?Dean: Who gives a...
- Despair Event Horizon: Castiel is afraid to go back to Heaven out of fear that if he sees the destruction he's caused, he'll be Driven to Suicide.
- Dynamite Candle: In a birthday cake.
- Epileptic Trees: In-Universe Castiel's interpretation of Road Runner cartoons.
- Flashback Stares: Sam continues to stare off before we see a Flashback to his relationship with Amelia.
- Frying Pan of Doom: But of course.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Two. The first in the cold open, and the second actually a huge Bait and Switch when it's just cake when the Dynamite Candle explodes.
- Hammerspace: It's easy to miss, but when he fought against Dean, Dr. Mahoney pulled the frying pan out of his pocket.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Subverted Trope.
- Healing Hands: Castiel heals the orderly's gunshot in the gut.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: Right before Gary Freleng's heart jumps out of his chest.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Mike Farrell plays Fred Jones.
- Impossible Thief: The Black Hole.
- Interservice Rivalry: Invoked by Amelia's father, Stan, who served in the army, when Sam mentions that his own father served in the Marine Corps.Stan: Is that your car outside—the Impala?Sam: Yeah, it was my dad's.Stan: Guy had good taste...for a Jarhead.
- Meaningful Echo: Dean's and Stan's use of living in a dream world.Dean talking about Fred Jones: I don't know. Seems to me like the dude's living in a dream world.Stan: Look, I am trying to help. Boy, I'll tell you, if Don could see you...Amelia: [looks over her shoulder at Sam] Don't. Just don't.Stan: [looks over his shoulder at Sam] You can't—you need to come home.Amelia: Is that why you're here—to drag me back? This is my life.Stan: This—it won't last. You are living in a dream world.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight: Inverted and parodied.Dr. Mahoney: [knocks Dean out with a frying pan after Dean's gun fired a flag saying BANG instead of bullets] Give up! I've been dealing with this crazy for months! And you—idiot—bring a gun to a gag fight.
- The Nose Knows: Castiel is able to say that Gary suffered from a recent bladder infection by smelling his dead body.
- Obligatory Joke/Quip to Black:
- Ode to Joy: The episode closes out with Fred and Castiel sitting together, listening to this song.
- Overprotective Dad: Stan Thompson, Amelia's father.
- Polyamory: Gary, his wife, Olivia, and P.J.
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis Failure:
Cas: So we're looking for some sort of insect-rabbit hybrid? How do we kill it?
- Castiel did not seem familiar with Bugs Bunny.
Dean: Let's gear up. Itís wabbit season.Castiel: I don't think you pronounced that correctly.
- Or with Elmer Fudd.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Dr. Mahoney.
- Rabid Cop: Castiel tries this.Castiel: I was being bad cop.Dean: You were being bad everything.
- Reality Warper: Psychokinetic Fred Jones.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Don, Amelia's husband.
- Serial Spouse: A woman tells Cas he looks like her third husband.
- The episode title is a reference to old Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner cartoons. There is also a freeze-frame where Dean and Dr. Mahoney are labelled (''HUNTERUS HEROICUS'') and (''GROTESQUES VILLAINUS''), respectively.
- Cartoon references are scattered everywhere, Looney Tunes from The Golden Age of Animation most predominantly
- Woody Woodpecker, Robot Chicken, and Animaniacs get name-dropped.
- Fred Jones or possibly ascot wearing Fred Jones from Scooby-Doo.
- Gary and his wife have the last name Freleng.
- Dean asks Castiel, "So what now? Move to Vermont, open up a charming B&B?"
- The local detective calls Dean Scully after he hands her a card while pretending to be an FBI agent.
- When Castiel and the Winchesters are examining the body, Dean calls Castiel Sherlock to belittle his detective skills.
- The detective refers to the man who committed suicide over lost investments as Madoff.
- Dean tells Castiel to go "Invisible Girl".
- Dean refers to the first death as "Heartbeak Hotel" and the second as "Free Fallin".
- Dean says let's "blow this Termite Terrace".
- The Sleepless: Castiel.Dean: Yeah. We'll have a slumber party, braid Sam's hair. Where are you gonna sleep?Castiel: I don't sleep.Dean: Okay, well, I need my four hours, so...Castiel: I'll watch over you.Dean: That's not gonna happen.
- Spock Speak: Castiel.Dean: What's the word, Cas?Castiel: It's a shortened version of my name.Dean: Any tablet chatter on angel radio?Castiel: Oh, I couldn't say. I turned that off.Sam: You can do that?Castiel: It's a simple matter of blocking out certain subsonic frequencies. I could draw you a diagram if you want.
- Stepford Suburbia:Dean: [finding out about the understanding in the Freleng marriage] Frigging suburbs, man.
- Talking Animal: Bob, the cat."I'll interrogate the cat."
- That's All, Folks!: Spoken word-for-word.
- Themed Aliases: Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
- Third Wheel: Lampshaded.Cas: I could be your third wheel.Dean: You know thatís not a good thing, right?Cas: Of course it is. A third wheel adds extra grip, greater stability.
- Weirdness MagnetDetective Glass: Tell me: Do you chase the crazy, or does the crazy chase you?Sam: Depends on the day.
- You Look Familiar: Brian Markinson, who plays Stan Thompson (Amelia's father), previously played Jerry Panowski in "Phantom Traveler" (S01, E04).