Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 08 Hunteri Heroici
Season 8, Episode 8
In an effort to redeem himself
, Castiel decides to become a hunter. He brings the Winchesters a case in Oklahoma City involving cartoon physics
, but with deadlier consequences. They find that cartoonish phenomena correlate with robberies connected to residents of Sunset Fields Retirement Home. One of the residents is a contact of John Winchester, named Fred Jones who used to live outside of Salt Lake City and happened to give both Dean and Sam their first beers. Fred Jones is also a powerful psychokinetic who now seems trapped in his own mind and spends all his time watching cartoons
. They discover that the head of the retirement home, Dr. Mahoney, is using Fred's abilities to steal from the residents. Dean tries to thwart the doctor before he completes one final robbery, but finds it difficult to adjust to a world governed by cartoon logic. Castiel is able to enter the cartoonscape in Fred's mind and helps him to control his abilities, but Castiel remains conflicted about his own future. Sam helps Castiel my convincing Fred that he has to face the real world, but Sam continues to exhibit stares leading to flashbacks
which reveal Amelia's husband turned out to be alive after Sam and Amelia moved in together.
- Accidental Misnaming: Mrs. Tate keeps addressing Castiel as her husband, "Charles".
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parent:
- Amelia's father, Stan, calls her munchkin.
- Later Stan tells a story where Amelia walked on stage while playing the Sugarplum fairy with toilet paper stuck on her foot and describes her as waddling and a "chubby kid".
- Animation Tropes
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Gravitational Cognizance. The jumper doesn't fall until he looks down.
- Toon Physics: Wherever Fred is situated, the immediate vicinity becomes a hot-spot for cartoon-like antics.
- X marks the spot: Anvils, rocks, and other heavy objects will land on the X, even if someone moves it.
- Draw a door: If you draw a door or a black hole on the wall, you can stroll right through it.
- Cranial Eruption: Jogger with a 4 inch lump after he hits his head.
- Circling Birdies: After Dean hits himself on the head with a book and after Dr. Mahoney hits Dean with the frying pan.
- Squashed Flat: The orderly slams his foot on the door and it flattens, but when he shakes the foot it blows back up.
- Face Imprint: After Dr. Mahoney hits Dean with the frying pan, there is a clear imprint of his face on the pan.
- BANG Flag Gun
- Iris Out
- Anvil On Head
- Squashed Flat: The effect is a little more grotesque than usual...
- Armor-Piercing Question: When Naomi refuses to let Castiel back into Heaven, he asks what he should do now. Her response:
"What do you want to do?"
- The Bechdel Test: Failed.
- Berserk Button: Amelia warns Sam about her father's triggers.
Amelia: Donít talk politics. Donít say anything bad about the Cowboys. And whatever you do, donít, do not, use the words "moist" or "irregardless".
- Blood-Splattered Innocents: Olivia, when Gary's heart explodes from his chest.
- Calling Shotgun: Castiel tries.
Castiel: I capisce.
Dean: All right, then. (He walks to the driverís door.)
Castiel: Can I, uh, at least ride in the front seat?
Dean and Sam simultaneously (Sam while shouldering Castiel out of the way): No.
- Cardiovascular Love: Gary's love for Olivia leaves him with a heart shaped hole in his chest.
- Catch Phrase:
Dean as he puts his arm through a black hole on a brick wall: Awesome.
- When Dean finds Dr. Mahoney in the bank he borrows one from Bugs Bunny.
Dean pointing his gun at Dr. Mahoney: Whatís up, doc?
- Cereal Induced Superpowers: Lampshaded when the orderly asks how Castiel healed the gunshot wound.
Dean: Guy eats his Wheaties.
- Chroma Key: Part of the episode is filmed in green-screen: Initially a cartoon, then switching to static and We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties screens.
- Completely Missing the Point: Oh, Cas.
Dean: It's wabbit season.
Cas: I don't think you pronounced that right.
- Continuity Nod
- The jumper was committing suicide due to losing everything when Roman Industries tanked.
- Castiel reads John Winchester's journal and compliments his handwriting.
- When Sam is at the sink with Amelia's father, he rubs his hand in the same way he started to do in "Hello, Cruel World" when Lucifer was torturing him.
- Cowboys and Indians: Lampshaded by Dean.
- Curse Cut Short:
Castiel: So she's not a witch.
Dean: Just the best wife ever.
Castiel: Then what killed her husband?
Dean: Who gives a...
- Deggans Rule: Failed.
- Despair Event Horizon: Castiel is afraid to go back to heaven out of fear that if he sees the destruction he's caused, he'll be Driven to Suicide.
- Dynamite Candle: In a birthday cake.
- Flashback Stares: Sam continues to stare off before we see a Flashback to his relationship with Amelia.
- Frying Pan of Doom: But of course.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Two. The first being in the cold open, and the second actually a huge Bait and Switch when it's just cake when the Dynamite Candle explodes.
- Hammerspace: It's easy to miss, but when he fought against Dean, Dr. Mahoney pulled the frying pan out of his pocket.
- Happily Failed Suicide: Subverted Trope.
- Healing Hands: Castiel heals the orderly's gunshot in the gut.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: Right before Gary Freleng's heart jumps out of his chest.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Mike Farrell plays Fred Jones.
- Impossible Thief: The Black Hole.
- Interservice Rivalry: Invoked by Amelia's father Stan who served in the army, when Sam mentions that his own father served in the marine corp.
Stan: Is that your car outside Ė the Impala?
Sam: Yeah, it was my dad's.
Stan: Guy had good taste... for a Jarhead.
- Meaningful Echo: Dean's and Stan's use of living in a dream world.
Dean talking about Fred Jones:
I don't know. Seems to me like the dude's living in a dream world
Stan: Look, I am trying to help. Boy, I'll tell you, if Don could see you...
Amelia: (looks over her shoulder at Sam) Don't. Just don't.
Stan: (looks over his shoulder at Sam) You can't Ė you need to come home.
Amelia: Is that why you're here Ė to drag me back? This is my life.
Stan: This Ė it won't last. You are living in a dream world.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight: Inverted and parodied.
Dr. Mahoney knocking Dean out with a frying pan, after Dean's gun fired a flag saying BANG instead of bullets: Give up! I've been dealing with this crazy for months! And you Ė idiot Ė bring a gun to a gag fight.
- The Nose Knows: Castiel is able to say that Gary suffered from a recent bladder infection by smelling his dead body.
- Obligatory Joke/Quip to Black:
- Ode to Joy: The episode closes out with Fred and Castiel sitting together, listening to this song.
- Overprotective Dad: Stan Thompson, Amelia's father.
- Polyamory: Gary, his wife, Olivia, and P.J.
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis Failure:
Cas: So weíre looking for some sort of insect-rabbit hybrid? How do we kill it?
Dean: Letís gear up. Itís wabbit season.
Castiel: I donít think you pronounced that correctly.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Dr. Mahoney.
- Rabid Cop: Castiel tries this.
Castiel: I was being bad cop.
Dean: You were being bad everything.
- Reality Warper: Psychokinetic Fred Jones.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Don, Amelia's husband.
- Serial Spouse: A woman tells Cas he looks like her third husband.
- The Sleepless: Castiel
Dean: Yeah. We'll have a slumber party, braid Sam's hair. Where are you gonna sleep?
Castiel: I don't sleep.
Dean: Okay, well, I need my four hours, so...
Castiel: I'll watch over you.
Dean: That's not gonna happen.
- Spock Speak: Castiel.
Dean: Whatís the word, Cas?
Castiel: Itís a shortened version of my name.
Dean: Any, tablet chatter on angel radio?
Castiel: Oh, I couldn't say. I turned that off.
Sam: You can do that?
Castiel: It's a simple matter of blocking out certain subsonic frequencies. I could draw you a diagram if you want.
- Stepford Suburbia:
Dean on finding out about the understanding in the Freleng marriage: Frigging suburbs, man.
- Talking Animal: Bob, the cat.
"I'll interrogate the cat."
- That's All, Folks!: Spoken word-for-word.
- Themed Aliases: Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
- Third Wheel: Lampshaded.
Cas: I could be your third wheel.
Dean: You know thatís not a good thing, right?
Cas: Of course it is. A third wheel adds extra grip, greater stability.
- Weirdness Magnet
Detective Glass: "Tell me: Do you chase the crazy, or does the crazy chase you?"
- You Look Familiar: Brian Markinson, who plays Stan Thompson (Amelia's father) previously played Jerry Panowski in Phantom Traveler.