Season 7, Episode 2
Hello, Cruel WorldWritten by Ben Edlund.Directed by Guy Bee.Air Date: September 30, 2011.After throwing around Dean and Bobby, Castiel's vessel begins to break down. Dean realizes that the beasts cannot remain within Castiel's body without destroying it, and as a result, the Leviathans disperse into the local water supply nearby. Possessing different people and establishing a base at Sioux Falls General Hospital to maintain a food supply, the Leviathans hint at further plans, a boss, and the importance of maintaining discretion to prevent unwanted attention. Meanwhile, as Sam, Bobby, and Dean attempt to discover the Leviathans' whereabouts, Sam continues to be tortured by visions of Lucifer, slowly coming to believe that the world he sees is not reality.
Body Count:For this episode = 1 angel and 6 humans.For the series so far = At least 694 humans (of which 6 were witches), 88 demons, 55 angels, 36 Jefferson Starships, 34 ghosts, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The Leviathans burn down Bobby's house.
- Big Bad: Name-dropped.
- Buffy Speak: "Protein-ate."
- Chekhov's Gun: Sam's cut on his hand from the last episode. Dean later puts pressure on it to hurt him, helping him realize what's real and what isn't.
- Continuity Nod
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: The Leviathans are stopped from finishing off Dean and Bobby because Cas' body is about to explode from holding in all the Leviathans at once.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Leviathans.
- Hypocrite: Dean gets angry at Sam for pretending to be okay when he's really not, because they already have enough on their plate, and he doesn't want Dean and Bobby to worry too much about him. Bobby tells Dean he is essentially doing the same thing, and we see that Dean isn't fine at all when Dean calls Bobby when they find his house destroyed.
- I'm a Humanitarian
- Lamprey Mouth: The Leviathans.
- Mind Screw
- Never Found the Body: Castiel. Doesn't look like there was much of a body left to find.
- Not Quite Dead: Edgar.
- Sanity Slippage: Continued from the last episode. It culminates in Sam hallucinating Dean driving him to an office building (which was actually Sam driving himself to an empty warehouse).
- Silver Fox: Dr. Gaines.
- There Are No Therapists: Discussed. Sam believes that therapists won't help.
- Titled After the Song: The episode title seems to be a play on Pink Floyd's song "Goodbye, Cruel World" from their album The Wall.