"I'm pregnant, McGee. Twins. Haven't told the father yet. It's Gibbs. I know it's wrong, but something about his silver hair gets me all tingly inside."
Age is all in the mind.
Well, for some people, anyway. Most of us will likely get grumpy
, or past our prime
and will end up trying anything in order to look younger
But then, there are those who get better
as they age; the ones who still qualify for the 'desirable' tag, even when they're grandparents. These men and women have maintained their dashing good looks, class, and sex appeal despite - or because of
- their greying hair.
They become a Silver Fox.
A Silver Fox is an attractive, distinguished older (generally over 40) person, often noted for his or her sexy silver or white-hair along with their good looks and charm
Note that this trope is only applicable for older characters. Can be related to Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have
For the manga go here.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Bleach: Ishida Ryuuken is probably about 40 but his hair has always been white. Despite his age, he's as strikingly pretty as (and almost as slender as) his teenage son Uryuu. Although given his name and his stern personality, he's really more of a Silver Dragon.
- Joseph Joestar during the "Stardust Crusaders" arc. This is set a few years after fathering Josuke, making his son younger than his grandson, Jotaro.
- Albert "004" Heinrich in Cyborg 009, specially in the 2001 series where aside of having been in his 30's when cyborgized, he spent decades in cryogenization.
Comics — Books
- When Akhor the Silver King of the Kantri becomes human, he has long silver hair. His age then is indeterminate, but his eyes show something of his thousand-year life. His Love Interest is all over him in this form, and he's all over her; otherwise people don't note if he's attractive... except that one human friend of his who gets hugged notes in the narration that she can't help but notice that he smells amazing.
- Kevin Nash, known as "Big Sexy" for over sixteen years and still, in his own words, "built like a god!", was once called "the Silver Fox" as an alternate Red Baron in TNA due to his grey hair.
- Metal Gear: Big Boss, Old Snake, The Sorrow, and Big Mama (older EVA) all can count as this. Especially Old Snake: The Estrogen Brigade went crazy when they saw his Metal Gear Solid 4 appearance.
- Sun Jian, starting from Dynasty Warriors 6 on.
- It helps that, historically, he only lived to be 36.
- Ezio in Assassin's Creed: Revelations. He's 53 and still running around preforming rooftop acrobatics and charming his new love interest, who's almost 20 years younger than he is.
- Lee Chaolan of Tekken. Very much a white haired Bishōnen in his youth, he's now pushing 50 as of late and is still as Biseinen as they get, even giving younger pretty boys like Jin, Hwoarang, and Lars a run for their money. Lee's In-Series Nickname, fittingly enough, is the "Silver-Haired Demon/Devil."
- First-Enchanter Orsino of Dragon Age II (though he's apparently a bit younger than he looks). The fighting chops he shows against the qunari don't hurt.
- General Tarquin from The Order of the Stick. Haley sees him as evidence that his son, Elan, is still going to be attractive in his middle age. Although, here, it is Informed Attractiveness, since it's a Stick Figure Comic.
- Dora of Questionable Content squees upon meeting Marten's father (who looks almost exactly like a silver-haired version of his son), saying that Marten will look so hot when he goes gray.
- Jim the bakery owner is more salt-and-pepper than outright silver, but is still romantically active and repeatedly mentioned to be quite cute. He even dates Dora after her breakup with Marten, though they decide on the first date that they're better off friends.
- Niels by Humon brings us our favorite super secret soldier, Agent 250. He's in his mid-fifties, and the only real clue to his age are the slight wrinkles under his eyes and his hair, which is light gray at the roots and dark gray on top. Despite this, he's as buff and sprightly as a man half his age, and could easily pass as one if his hair weren't gray. Let's just say there's a reason he's in a relationship.
- On Batman Beyond, Talia allows an aged Bruce to use one of her father's old Lazarus Pits, but specifically leaves some of his hair gray to look more distinguished. Ra's himself went for the same look. Which makes sense, since Bruce is actually being groomed as his new body...
Note: The following actors (and a few actresses) and other public figures are generally either cast in the role of the "good-looking older person with gray hair" roles or have attracted media attention for that look. Many if not most went gray before turning 50.