What a manly- er...dogly- mustache.
This is when an animal, often an anthropomorphic animal, has facial hair, whether in the form of a mustache or beard. Sometimes, the facial hair is in the form of whiskers slicked into a moustache.
Fictional examples can apply to pretty much any animal as long as it's not a natural feature of their species; or in the case of dogs, a default characteristic of the breed.
Compare Furry Baldness
, Furry Female Mane
, and Nonmammalian Hair
- Rufus the cat from The Rescuers has a mustache, as do some of the mice in the Rescue Aid Society.
- Dr. Dawson and Hiram Flaversham from The Great Mouse Detective both have mustaches.
- Harold from Shrek 2 keeps his goatee even when he turns into a frog.
- Also, Puss in Boots and Donkey have goatees, and Puss has his whiskers slicked into a moustache.
- Ratty from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad has a mustache and Angus MacBadger has a white beard.
- In An American Tail Papa Mousekewitz has a beard, and several background characters have beards or mustaches.
- Several characters in The Secret Of NIMH: Mr. Ages has both eyebrows and a mustache, while Nicodemus and the Great Owl have especially long ones. Jenner has Big Ol' Eyebrows and an evil goatee.
- In Gay Purr-ee, Big Bad Meowrice has his whiskers slicked into a mustache.
- Master Shifu (a red panda) from Kung Fu Panda has a bushy white mustache.
- Played with in The Muppets films:
- In The Muppet Movie; one scene shows Kermit shaving, but then he comments "I wish I had whiskers. Of course, then I'd have to use a blade."
- In The Muppets Take Manhattan he claims to be growing a moustache, which Jenny "helps along" with makeup.
- In The Lion King, the part of lions' manes under their chin looks beardlike; Scar in particular has a lion Beard of Evil.
- Merlin in The Sword in the Stone usually keeps his facial hair when morphing into various animals (justified in walrus and goat form, not so much in squirrel, rabbit, mouse, crab or caterpillar forms...)
- Older mice in the animated adaptations of Redwall would have beards made of whiskers. Younger mice would look more "clean-shaven", and a few officer hares had mustaches.
- In the Chanur Novels Hani have beards and moustaches, along with manes. Both genders.
- Wicked has Professor Dillamond, a goat-man professor with a goatee.
- The dragon Ramses in Skylanders has a white beard and bushy eyebrows because he is very old.
- In World of Warcraft the little boy Pandaren will sometimes say when clicked on that he's growing a beard. Pandaren are, of course, anthropomorphic pandas and some do indeed have beards, putting them into this trope.
- Star Fox: Peppy starts sporting a mustache in later games.
- One of the bad green pigs in the Angry Birds franchise has an orange moustache.
- Genjii from the Touhou PC-98 games had a beard. Note that Genjii was a non-anthropomorphic turtle.
- Many of the male characters in Lackadaisy Cats have patterns in their fur that look like facial hair (Victor's snout/face is brighter and looks like a goatee + mustache, for instance.)
- Monterey Jack from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers had a very thick moustache as well as whiskers. It would twirl itself when he smells cheese.
- Uncle Chuck from Sonic Sat AM sports a large, bushy mustache.
- In "The Old Gray Hare" after a Flash Forward to the year 2000 a 70-or-so-year-old Bugs Bunny is shown with white chin whiskers.
- In My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, beards and mustaches are relatively common on the characters.
- In Dog City, Mayor Kickbark and Rusty MacCracken in the animated sections have moustaches, as does McCracken's puppet inspiration Mr MacTaggart.
- In MAD, there is a skit that parodies Duck Dynasty called "McDuck Dynasty", featuring Scrooge, Donald, Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Donald and Scrooge have beards made of feathers.
- Plant/Fruit Example: Professor Plum from Annoying Orange has a moustache and a beard.
- Rex the cockroach from Gawayn.
- Some pets from Littlest Pet Shop (2012) have this, including Digby ("Trading Places") and Sam U.L. ("Terriers and Tiaras"), who have mustaches/beards. They are portrayed as somewhat masculine (Zoe has an unspoken crush on Digby, while Sam U.L. is a hard training Bruxellois).
- The bearded vulture or lammergeier has facial feathers that look like a beard.
- The mustache of the walrus makes it quite easy to anthropomorphize this animal.
- Goats are so well-known for their beards they even named a kind of beard after them.
- The schnauzer (a breed of terrier) is named after a German term for mustache, because it looks like it's wearing one. For that matter, many other terrier breeds have a similar appearance.
- The patas monkey has a white, twirly mustache. This and its red fur, resembling a Hungarian Hussar's uniform, gave the animal its alternative name "Hussar monkey".
- The emperor tamarin has a large, white mustache, resembling that of German emperor Wilhelm II.