Those eyebrows... Amarao:
An extremely old Japanese artistic convention is giving men bushy eyebrows. The manly oyaji
usually has them, and it makes his expressions more imposing and tougher. A lot of older shonen
manga use this style to great effect. Unless it's specifically part of the art style, Big Ol' Eyebrows
are a common Art Shift
gag when a character is being overdramatic.
Women tend to get very thin eyebrows. Thicker eyebrows are usually just a convention to make their faces more noticeable or make their facial expressions funnier. But in a few anime, woman have thicker eyebrows which resemble long commas. It's the case of Momoko from Ojamajo Doremi
and Honoka, Saki and Kurumi from the Pretty Cure
Usually related to Evil Eyebrows
. Hot-Blooded Sideburns
is a Sister Trope
, and often shows up along side this one. See also Big Ol' Unibrow
. A Subtrope of Unusual Eyebrows
. Contrast with No Brows
open/close all folders
- A lot of the male characters found in Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation shows have pretty large eyebrows, but none win better than Mike Mercury of Supercar, seriously◊!
- Ventriloquist Jeff Dunham has a puppet, Achmed the Dead Terrorist, who has gigantic eyebrows despite being a skeleton. They're used to convey his emotions, since he has no other facial features to do so with — and they work surprisingly well.
- The Muppets
- Sam the American Eagle has an impressive unibrow, giving the impression of a perpetually frowning face.
- The Swedish Chef appears to have nothing but big ol' eyebrows that can challenge his mustache for facial hair supremacy.
- Danny from Bravest Warriors has an epic pair of big eyebrows. More noticeable, cause he's the the only team member who even has eyebrows in the first place.