"It's Mercury-manned, and everyone cries, 'it's the marvel of the age'."Supercar is a 1960s British children's TV show produced by Gerry Anderson. This was his first series to be made in Supermarionation.Invented by Professor Popkiss and Doctor Beaker and piloted by Mike Mercury, Supercar is an amazing vehicle that can fly, go underwater, and even be driven. When pilot Bill Gibson, his little brother Jimmy and their pet monkey Mitch are rescued by the team in the first episode "Rescue," Jimmy and Mitch become part of the Supercar family coming to the aid of people in distress around the world while fending off evil Masterspy and his henchman Zarin, who'll stop at nothing to get Supercar for themselves.
Supercar provides examples of the following trope:
- Absent-Minded Professor: Dr. Horatio Beaker, and to some extent Professor Popkiss.
- All Just a Dream: Like most Gerry Anderson series, on more than one occasion.
- Cassandra Truth: In "Transatlantic Cable", when Jimmy sees a light in a sunken submarine, none of the adults believe him. As it turns out, criminals were using it to tap into the cable.
- Comic Book Adaptation: The only Supermarionation series to get its own American comic book adaptation during its original run, courtesy Gold Key Comics.
- Cool Car/Plane/Boat: Supercar.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Jimmy is voiced by Gerry Anderson's wife Sylvia (billed as Sylvia Thamm).
- Curious as a Monkey: Jimmy's pet monkey, Mitch.
- Kid Hero: Jimmy, both in a dream of his, and a dream of a French girl wanting to be rescued by him in Supercar (she reads the comics).
- Nonhuman Sidekick: Jimmy's pet monkey, Mitch.
- The Other Darrin: Big Bad Masterspy, initially voiced by George Murcell, was replaced by Cyril Szaps.
- Small Annoying Creature: Mitch the Monkey (the first but sadly not the last example of this kind on an Anderson show — see also Fireball XL5 and Stingray). In fact, on several occasions (such as "Ice Fall" and "Operation Super Stork") the danger in the episode is his fault!
- Strong Family Resemblance: Dr. Beaker's cousin, Felicity Farnsworth, looks like Beaker in drag.