The Fancy Adventures Of Jack Cannon is a webcomic that is written and drawn by Jamie Anderson.Until recently, Jack Cannon has been home schooled. His life changed drastically when he started going to High School.On his first day in High School, Jack becomes friends with two girls named Angel and Cindy. He also got to know the resident Jerk Ass Craig, who is a Hacker, and not the usual kind of hacker. No, these hackers are people who hack reality. Jack is going to have some serious problems...
Contains examples of:
- Accidental Truth: Angel telling Craig that Jack is "the most Badass fighter ever" in hopes it will save his skin.
- Action Mom: Jack's mother is a professional bodyguard. And
probablyalmost certainly some sort of ninja.
- Answers to the Name of God: When Frankie gets teleported to the hacker base in a straightjacket.Frankie: Oh god oh god oh god...
Gavin: Please stop calling me that.
- Anti-Magic: Pretty much the only reason Jack isn't dead.
- Art Evolution: The art changed from more of a cartoony style to an Uncanny Valley, but has become more realistic now.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The Principal and Gavin
- Awesome McCool Name: Max Facepuncher. "Jack Cannon" might count, too.
- It should be noted that Max is not short for Maximilian. It's short for Maximum. So, his full name is Maximum Facepuncher. He punches a lot of faces.
- Badass Family: The Cannons are all some sort of super soldiers.
- Badass in Distress: Max, the principal, and Jack himself are all put in this position briefly. After her scarf is taken away, Crystal ends up in the same situation. For the majority of the cast, this trope is in effect whenever they end up in distress.
- Badass Normal: Jack Cannon himself.
- One might argue that with recent developments that he has become an Empowered Badass Normal, but since his only power is that he at least partially negates any and all hackings in the area, it could be argued that he's so badass normal that he normalizes everything around him.
- Big Bad: Gavin.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Jack, and to a much greater extent Max.
- Blessed with Suck: The 4th type. Jack's extreme fighting prowess has gotten him the attention of all the wrong people.
- He can also shrug off any hacks aimed at him but it puts massive stresses on his system and will kill him if he's pushed too far.
- The comic has explored what happens if you put a person who unconciously negates hacks into a space station hacked into existence.
- Brain Uploading: Hacker leader Gavin tried to make a backup copy of his mind before attempting to hack his cancer away. Things didn't go as planned.
- Butt Monkey: Lipbite. He keeps getting beat up, amusingly.
- Character Blog: Max Facepuncher has a twitter.
- And it is GLORIOUS!!!
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Jack's Evil Knockoff never stood a chance.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: what happened to Gavin after he'd uploaded his personality to the server.
- The Determinator: Max, on a couple occasions.
- Jack. The dude punches through 20 feet of dirt after being buried by a stone golem thing.
- Distressed Damsel: This happens a lot.
- Distressed Dude: Happened briefly with the principal in two early stories. Jack's father and Max were also put in the state.
- The Dragon: Grin to Gavin
- Elaborate Underground Base: a subversion in that its not actually underground, but the Mega Intelligence secret desert base seems plenty big and elaborate.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Grin doesn't like hacking people. Gavin is willing to listen to her. The underlings don't seem to share the sentiment.
- Evil Knockoff: See Curb-Stomp Battle above.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: No prizes for guessing what Max Facepuncher's specialty is.
- To be fair, he doesn't JUST punch faces.
- Extremity Extremist: Max Facepuncher.
- The Faceless:
AnonymousGavin's Hackers. Not to mention Gavin himself. Unlike the other hackers, his "mask" covers his entire body.
- Five-Bad Band: Four members so far, as The Evil Genius is likely shared among The Dragon, Grin and The Big Bad, Gavin.
- Flat "What.": Jack does one when informed that Craig "is.....a....HACKER!"
- Frame Break: Jack has to break the panel frame to escape when Gavin contracts it around him.
- Freud Was Right: "Take me to that phallus!"
- Glass Cannon: Unlike Max Facepuncher, Crystal has a Scarf of Asskicking, but little actual physical power.
- This probably applies to the hackers as well. They all get taken out very easily, but their reality warping powers prove very effective when they're used intelligently. Most of the defeated hackers have been taken out with a single hit.
- Government Agency of Fiction: Mega Intelligence
- High-Heel–Face Turn: While she tried to kill Jack earlier, Grin eventually can't take it anymore and refuses to murder Max.
- Homeschooled Kids: The strip begins with Jack's first day of public school after having been home-schooled his whole life.
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: Max Facepuncher sports a pretty wicked pair.
- I Always Wanted to Say That: Gavin here
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Max doesn't only punch faces...
- Insult Backfire: Crystal to Gavin.Crystal: You don't scare me, Gavin. None of you do. The hackers are just a bunch of kids.
Gavin: Exactly. Kids with godpowers. Children playing with nuclear bombs. You should be terrified.
- It Makes Sense in Context: "Welcome to The Fancy Adventures of Jack Cannon. If this is your first time reading, you picked a hell of a page to start with."
- Knife Nut: Jack's mother. It also means that throwing knives at him just gives him more weapons to play with.
- Large Ham: Well, with a name like Max Facepuncher, it's only to be expected...
- Let's You and Him Fight: Max does this intentionally with Jack.
- The Magazine Rule: Apparently there are enough knife nuts in this world for a magazine called "Knife Quarterly" to sell.
- Meaningful Name: Max Facepuncher.
- Meanwhile, Back at the...: Meanwhile, In The Mighty Skies.
- Mook–Face Turn: Frankie well, not really.
- No Holds Barred Beat Down: The fight between Max Facepuncher and Gavin.
- Nonuniform Uniform: Word Of God confirms it's set in an Australian school that does have a uniform; most students either wear whatever they want over it or ignore it completely.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: For much of the comic, the Hackers seem less than a serious threat, due to how easily Jack and his family handle them. However, the true horror of what the Hackers could do to someone is not made fully apparent until they change Franky into a monster and force him into attack Jack. That's right, the Hackers could turn anyone other than Jack into monsters and send them to attack him. Including his parents, his friends, ANYONE. Apparently the only reason they haven't is because Grin is the only person skilled enough (asides from Gavin) to do it properly, and after Franky she refuses to do it again. However, it's possible that not only could Gavin do it properly, but effortlessly, if he so chose, since apparently he can perform extremely complex hacks with
a snap of his fingersnumpad gloves.
- Oh Crap!: Jack, quite a few times
- Pet the Dog: Grin seems to have a conscience.
- Pimp Duds: Not overt, but Gavin is going around in a plum suit and pants without anything underneath. He is the pimpest.
- Rated M for Manly: Max Facepuncher. Yes, that's his real name.
- Reality Warper: The Hackers. As Gavin put it: "kids with God powers."
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The Principal and the general
- Retired Badass: Implied to be Jack Cannon's Father
- Sadistic Choice: After making a truce with the hackers, Jack has to choose between protecting his parents or rescuing Angel.
- Scarf of Asskicking A more literal example than usual.
- Serious Business: Hacking.
- Shirtless Scene: Max has gotten one. Despite being completely covered in bruises, he still manages to look pretty hot with his buff physique (?!!).
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Jack's brother's name is Miles.
- Space Base: Hackers get one. Likely the reason Mega Intelligence hasn't brought them down yet.
- Spoof Aesop: "Great, so my first day at school teaches me to hit people and lie to my parents."
- "Both are important life lessons, kid."
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Max Facepuncher. Lampshaded in a Christmas comic:Max: [opening a present] Hey, a spotlight!
Angel: Oh! That was meant to be for Jack.
Jack: Yes! Just what I wanted! Pass it here, Max.
Max: No, I think I'll keep it.
- Stating the Simple Solution:Lipbite: How come you don't just, you know, blow up their house or something?
Grin: Because I'm not a dick?
- Stealth Pun: A visual pun here: They "hacked" his leg off.
- Those Two Girls: Angel and Cindy.
- Tough Love: Jack's mother threw knives at him to teach him good reflexes.
- And snakes
- AND POISONED HIS BREAKFAST AND DINNER.
- Training from Hell: See above.
- Later intensified due to Jack's curb stomp battle at the hands of a seriously hacked Frankie
- Villainous BSOD: Brought to a whole new meaning here
- Why Won't You Die?: Everyone who has tried to take on Jack has said or thought this at one point or another. Grin does a unique variation.Grin: WHAT?! Why... Why can't I hack you?
Jack: * shrug *
- Would Hit a Girl: Thanks to Max Facepuncher. Twice, up to this point in the story.
- Of course, while the first time was a pretty jerk-assed thing to do (he pimp-plexus'd Cindy right after she kicked him in the 'nads to protect Jack), the second was entirely justified.