Film / The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland
is the second Sesame Street movie
, starring Elmo.
Elmo loves his furry blue blanket more than almost anything in the world. When Zoe wants to play with it, he refuses, as it's his. They argue, and Elmo's blanket is ripped—and a gust of wind blows it into Oscar's trash can and through a portal to Grouchland.
Elmo enters Grouchland to retrieve his blanket, but finds it just in time to have it stolen by Huxley, who considers everything
to be his. Elmo embarks on an epic quest across the land to reach Huxley's home and rescue his blanket—and meanwhile, his friends are searching for him.
This movie provides examples of:
- Jerk Realization: Elmo has one when the Queen of Trash compares him to Huxley. Just to drive the point home, we even get a flashback of Elmo's behavior at the beginning of the movie, screaming at Zoe that his blanket is "Mine!" when Zoe asked him to share...which is the same way Huxley acts.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Elmo and Bug.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Combined with Because You Were Nice to Me above. After being a Butt Monkey for most of the film, Bug is the one to return Elmo's blanket, after telling off an incapacitated Huxley, and then forces Huxley to promise to give back everything he stole or claimed as his own.
- Music for Courage: "Take the First Step," although it's sung to only one person. By a plant and some woodland critters.
- Naked People Are Funny: Bert first appears in his shower cap.
- No Fourth Wall: Ernie and Bert pause the movie at certain scary points to comment on it, and to reassure the audience that everything will be alright.
- Elmo directly addresses the audience a few times, asking for help and advice.
- Not So Different: Elmo has this realization thanks to the Queen of Trash. Specifically, Huxley's constant attitude is "Mine!", because he can't share anything. Elmo acted the same way at the beginning of the film, refusing to share his blanket with Zoe "because it's mine!"
- Parental Bonus: