The Power of Friendship
is one of the strongest things in the world. Sometimes, however, it's not enough. What's the best way to really capitalize on a friendship? Break out in song about it, of course.
This is essentially a song that explains about the how the friendship between two or more characters keeps them together and never lets them fall apart.
This may be a Sidekick Song
. Compare Silly Love Song
Film - Animated
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, we have England's song "My Friend", in which England talks about his friends Brownie, Pixy and the Unicorn (England has been shown in a couple of episodes talking with his imaginary friends).
- Yu-Gi-Oh! has "No Matter What", which sings about Yugi and Joey's friendship up to that point in the show, and how they both have people they want to protect, and that even though they have to duel each other, "they'll still be friends to the very end".
Film - Live-Action
- "A Duo" from An American Tail. It's a duet between Fievel (a mouse) and Tiger (a good cat) about how they'd make good friends because they have a lot in common.
- The Fox and the Hound: "Best Of Friends" is this for the film it's a song about best friends having fun together.
- "Looks Like I've Got Me A Friend" from The Pebble and the Penguin.
- Oliver & Company: In "Good Company" Jenny sings about how her and Oliver will always be friends.
- "Friends to the End" from Tom and Jerry: The Movie.
- James and the Giant Peach: The Film has the song "Family". A song about how the denizens of the peach have come so far together because of James, and that they care for him just like family.
- "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story and its sequels.
- Disney's The Jungle Book has "That's What Friends Are For", sung to Mowgli by a quartet of vultures (who bear an astounding resemblance to The Beatles) in the style of a barbershop quartet.
- Wreck-It Ralph: "When Can I See You Again?" is a song about a friend having to go, but wanting to know when they can meet again.
- In The Brady Bunch during one of the show's many Talent Show episodes, Marcia & her mother sing "Together" from Gypsy as a pair of hobos who stick together through thick and thin.
- Saved by the Bell: In a Behind The Music-like episode showing the formation, success, breakup, and reuniting of the gang's band Zack Attack, their big hit is called "Friends Forever."
We'll be friends forver
'til the end of time
- "Guy Love" from the Musical Episode of Scrubs, about JD and Turk's bromance
- Anything Goes gives us "Friendship."
It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.
When other friendships are soon forgot, ours will still be hot.
- Before Stephen Schwartz wrote the song "For Good", he asked his daughter what she would say to her best friend if she were saying goodbye to her forever. Her response became the first verse of the song.
- This is also one of the themes of "One Short Day", showing how close Elphaba and Galinda have come, which is hammered home when they agree that they're now best friends.
- Company has Side By Side By Side/What Would We Do Without You?, Bobby's ode to his married friends and their description of him as the perfect friend, but it's ultimately a subversion as the brief Un Duet moment shows that even though he has friends, Bobby is still, ultimately, alone, and the lyrics of What Would We Do Without You show that his married friends use him as something of a crutch to help them through their own marital difficulties.
- "Happy Together" by The Turtles (might count as a love song though).
- "You're My Best Friend" by Queen, which is used sometimes in TV show scenes over a montage of two friends doing things together.
- "I'll be There For You" by The Rembrandts, best known as the theme song for Friends.
- "With a Little Help From My Friends" by The Beatles from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, later covered in an equally famous version by Joe Cocker on With A Little Help From My Friends.
- "Ben" by Michael Jackson (an ode to his pet rat, who he considered his best friend).
- The Ninja Sex Party theme song and "Best Friends Forever" sing about Danny and Ninja Brians friendship. The latter song is about how they'll still be friends "through the good times and the homicides" after Ninja Brian kills all of Danny's other friends. Just as long as Ninja Brian doesn't kill Danny.
- "You've Got a Friend" by Carole King on the Tapestry album. Covered by James Taylor.
- "Jojo" by Jacques Brel is an acoustic ballad to his best friend Jojo Pasquier who had died from cancer. Brel sings to him that "despite being six feet under the ground he is not dead to him." A year after Brel recorded the song he too would die from the same illness.