Sia Furler (professionally known as just Sia) is an Australian singer-songwriter. Her voice is soulful and has her trademark Australian drawl. As a person, Sia captures an innocence rarely seen in musicians today. Seriously, look at this video blog!
Sia catapulted to fame after We Are Born
and only became more famous after collaborations with other high-profile musicians.
- Only See (1997)
- Healing Is Difficult (2001)
- Colour the Small One (2004)
- Some People Have Real Problems (2008)
- We Are Born (2010)
- Best Of... (2012)
- 1000 Forms Of Fear (2014)
Tropes related to Sia:
- Album Title Drop: "The Fight" drops 'we are born'.
- Bi the Way
- Breakup Song: "The Girl You Lost to Cocaine" (falls into the 'relationship breakup' category).
- Cloud Cuckoolander: As evidenced by her Twitter account. Her bio is "i am sia, i was born from the bumhole of a unicorn named steve." Also, Sia named one of her dogs "Turtle" because it's "so turtley."
- Dream Team:
- Lyrical Dissonance:
- At first, "Cloud" seems to be a happy, uplifting song. However, the lyrics are about a pessimistic jerk who enjoys messing things up for people because their own life is depressing.
- "Chandelier" is an up-tempo electropop/R&B song about alcoholism.
- Melismatic Vocals: Distinctly on Chandlier.
- New Sound Album: Sia started out as downtempo/trip-hop. Her next two albums downplayed the electronic influences, and were more acoustic and mellow. We Are Born and 1000 Forms of Fear are both essentially pop, the former more twee-sounding and the latter more mainstream-sounding.
- Self-Deprecation: "this is what you can expect from me at any given show."
- Surprise Incest: "Butterflies" plays this on the listeners. It sounds like just a regular song about lingering awkwardness in a relationship, until the very last line right at the end of the song, when she casually remarks "Because we came from the same cocoon".
- Take That, Critics!: "Titanium" can be interpreted as this.
- The Faceless: On all of her performances to promote 1000 Forms of Fear, she's singing while giving her back to the camera, while someone is doing an interpretative dance or lip-syncing to her songs.
- Also on the cover of said album, where we only see her iconic blond bob.
- Unkempt Beauty: As seen in the page photo, she almost always appears this way.
- Word Salad Lyrics: "Buttons."