"Me and you and you and me
No matter how they toss the dice, it has to be
The only one for me is you, and you for me
So happy together
are a folk-rock band from Los Angeles
that formed in 1965 and originally ran through 1970. They were formed by Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman and are best known for the songs "Happy Together," "You Showed Me," "Elenore" and a Cover
of Bob Dylan
's "It Ain't Me, Babe."
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
The Turtles are the Trope Namer for:
"When you're with me baby the tropes will be blue for all my life":
- Battle of the Bands: Their fourth studio album, released in 1968, was titled The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands which was a Concept Album where they pretended to be 11 different bands.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: "Elenore." Their initial follow-up singles to "Happy Together" flopped, and the record company told them that they needed another hit of that magnitude, so Kaylan reversed "Happy Together"'s chord progression and added joke lyrics such as "You're my pride and joy, et cetera."
- Breakup Breakout: Kaylan and Volman renamed themselves Flo & Eddie and would join Frank Zappa's the Mothers of Invention (they can be heard on the albums Chunga's Revenge (1970), Fillmore East, June 1971 (1971), Two Hundred Motels (1971) and Just Another Band From L.A. (1972) and work with everyone from T. Rex to Alice Cooper to Duran Duran and MANY OTHERS. Mark and Howie also lent their voices to the X-rated animated cartoon Down and Dirty Duck. Drummer John Barbata would also move on to Jefferson Airplane, which would become Jefferson Starship not long after he joined.
- Cover Version:
- "It Ain't Me, Babe" and Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction."
- "You Showed Me" was a cover of a Byrds song.
- They also covered "We'll Meet Again", best known as a Vera Lynn song.
- "Days of the Week" Song : "Somewhere Friday Night"
- Fat and Skinny: Kaylan and Volman (especially after they became Flo and Eddie)
- Genre Shift: They started as a Garage Rock/Surf band, before going into the folk rock/pop direction that made them famous.
- Money Song: "Gas Money"
- One Woman Song: "Elenore," "Rebecca"
- Silly Love Songs: "You Showed Me," "She'd Rather Be With Me". "Happy Together" brings the trope into conscious self-parody.
- The Something Song: "The Walking Song"
- Surfer Dude: "Surfer Dan"
- Turtle Power: It's in the band's name. Their last studio album was titled Turtle Soup.
- Ur Example: They sued De La Soul for Sampling "You Showed Me" on "Transmitting Live From Mars," and won a large settlement, making them the first act to respond to sampling in that way and setting a legal precedent for the industry.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: In response to The Beatles and The Byrds, they briefly renamed themselves the "Tyrtles", but it didn't take.