Music / Tina Turner
Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock, November 26, 1936) is an American singer, actress, dancer, and author. Her life story is the subject of the 1993 Biopic What's Love Got to Do with It
, loosely based on her autobiography, I Tina
. The film explores Turner's early life and relationship with guitarist/bandleader Ike Turner. Tina Turner had a long musical career and a string of hits on the R&B, Pop
, and Rock
charts until her semi-retirement in 2000.
Film appearances include:
Some tropes associated with Tina Turner include:
- Breakup Breakout: She rose to fame riding with Ike Turner, but became even more successful once she left the abusive partner\husband.
- Broken Bird: Despite many early hardships and Ike's abusiveness, Tina became a huge success.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: In the movie Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, but also on stage and in real life. It's of course not natural, she color it and wears wigs.
- Disappeared Dad / Parental Abandonment: Tina's father was not around, and she was shuttled around various family members throughout her youth. Later, Tina raised her children and Ike's as a single mother.
- Drugs Are Bad: Due to Ike's struggles with cocaine and alcohol addiction, Turner has always been vehemently anti-drug. Subverted with her role as The Acid Queen.
- Hairstyle Malfunction : According to I, Tina, her trademark wigs started as a result of a hairstyling accident. Most of her hair had been burned off, so she and the Ikettes began wearing long wigs.
- Large Ham: Her performances get passionate and over-the-top pretty often (examples include "Proud Mary", "Private Dancer", and "Golden Eye").
- She's Got Legs: Often wears very short skirts, notably on the Private Dancer cover
- Stage Names: She was born Anna Mae Bullock. Ike Turner decided to rename her Tina inspired by Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, and once they became life partners his surname came along.
- Vague Age: When she was in her teens she looked to be in her early twenties. When she was in her twenties and thirties she often looked older. Since she was around fifty (she's now in her early 70s), she has looked pretty much the same.