"Charisma oozes out of people without eyebrows, you know! Hot damn! I don't have eyebrows either!"
of Unusual Eyebrows
, this is when a character has no eyebrows
Typically, this is used to give the individual a more brutish, Neanderthal look. Alternatively, they deliberately throw the character into the Uncanny Valley
, which can create an ethereal or alien appearance. In these cases, the brow ridges
will tend to be fairly prominent and well-defined, so that the character can still make appropriate facial expressions. Occasionally, however, the artist simply doesn't draw them with eyebrows, and they have to find other ways to emote.
Contrast with Big Ol' Eyebrows
Anime and Manga
- Gustavo Ragetta and Keith Gandor from Baccano!!
- Gaara from Naruto doesn't have any. Probably to make him look unnerving. His father, the Fourth Kazekage, didn't either.
- Zabuza usually has eyebrows, except in a few scenes in the anime, but they're incredibly thin and short, which was enough for Naruto to call him "eyebrowless freak" a couple times.
- The Second Mizukage didn't have any either, which he claims are a sign of charisma.
- L doesn't have any in Death Note; this was carried over in the live action movies, though it's not that noticeable until he goes outside into the wind. The manga artist said it was intended to make him look "dead-eyed." A couple of minor characters (like Ide) are also browless without any apparent justification.
- Level 3 Super Saiyans◊ in Dragon Ball Z. It gives them a distinctively Neanderthal-like look.
- Elfman and Gajeel from Fairy Tail.
- The sinister Yokoya from Liar Game.
- Kenpachi from Bleach. Also, As Nodt, for the second reason. Eeep.
- Renji also technically doesn't have any. His tattoos work as his eyebrows.
- Reiner Braun from Attack on Titan, according to design notes. However, most of the time it looks like he's merely got very thin (blond) ones.
- In Fruits Basket, Kyoko honda nče Katsunuma had such small eyebrows that her husband Katsuya teased her about not having any.
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the lack of explanation of Jean Pierre Polnareff lack of eyebrows is disturbing.
- The "Mystery Man" played by Robert Blake in David Lynch's Lost Highway.
- Gríma Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings.
- The Terminator starts out as a young, good-looking Arnold Schwarzenegger pushed into the Uncanny Valley by a pointed lack of emotion. The attractive appearance falls away quickly over the course of the movie, culminating in the creepy skeleton. The first thing to go, however, are its eyebrows, giving it a more brutish appearance.
- Dracula's old form in Bram Stoker's Dracula completely lacks eyebrows, in odd contrast to the book where bushy eyebrows are one of his most noticeable features.
- In the second book of The Pendragon Adventure, all of the characters residing in the eponymous underwater city lack eyebrows. Bobby mentions that it's quite unsettling, and that one doesn't normally consider eyebrows carefully (unless one is One of Us, naturally,) until they're not there.
- Grim Tuesday of The Keys To The Kingdom had his eyebrows blown off. One of them became a monster.
- The Observers of Fringe lack any sort of hair, including eyebrows.
- Doctor Who:
- The Eleventh Doctor. It actually varies between this and very pale eyebrows, but it seems that Matt Smith has no eyebrows, and the makeup department is inconsistent in penciling them on. Lampshaded when someone makes fun of his lack of eyebrows and he sensitively responds that his eyebrows are 'delicate'.
- The Fifth Doctor is also known for his lack of eyebrow.
- The Fourth Doctor also has very fine, pale eyebrows that the makeup department often covered up further (although, like the Eleventh Doctor, he has eyebrows in some scenes thanks to an inconsistent makeup department). Between his lack of eyebrows and his unusually large Creepy Blue Eyes, he looks very alien indeed◊.
- Karlton, Mavic Chen's advisor in "The Daleks' Master Plan", and the rest of his people. His entire head and eyebrows were shaved to make him look more alien, but it's unclear whether he's a Human Alien or a human from a culture that just does that.
- Claudia of Silent Hill 3, in order to invoke the Uncanny Valley.
- Street Fighter: Guile. He's American like that.
- In Tales of Monkey Island, Gaffer Crimpdigit has no eyebrows as a result of one accident while on his glassblowing job. He even lampshades this a few times in Chapter 1.
- Pokémon Diamond and Pearl: Cyrus found eyebrows unnecessary for his perfect world.
- Captain Ventralis, head of security on the Rift Station on Noveria, in Mass Effect 1, is missing eyebrows, along with the rest of the hair on his head. Whether this is the consequence of days of fighting crazy, murderous aliens, or the result of standing too close to a Bunsen burner, is anyone's guess.
- Sten and the other kossith from Dragon Age: Origins.
- All of the Snakes in Metal Gear possess very pale and indistinct eyebrows, although the bandanna substitutes for them in the ones who wear it.
- Yuri, from Command & Conquer. Combined with his chillingly calm demeanor, this is quite some source of Nightmare Fuel.
- Cheetara from Thundercats. Or at least they're completely hidden by her facial markings. Some of the villains as well - Tugmug (or possibly they're hidden in the black circles around his eyes), Slythe and Vultureman of the mutants (of course, neither of them are mammals, so lack of hair is to be expected), and Mumm-ra.
- Matt Groening's art-style does not draw eyebrows for most of the characters in The Simpsons and Futurama, although some like Milhouse have huge eyebrows.
- Henry and June on KaBlam!.
- Ash from Superjail! due to the fact that his face is horribly burnt and deformed.
- Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender is a half example, as his left eye does not have a brow due to a burn inflicted by his father Ozai.
- The Mona Lisa originally did have eyebrows, but all the cleaning and restoration works scrubbed the eyebrows (and a lot of details) out.
- Queen Elizabeth I
- Whoopi Goldberg
- Martin Luther McCoy
- David Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase.
- The WWE's current World Heavyweight Champion Kane has no eyebrows.
- Many redheads and some blonds have pale eyebrows that vanish into their pale skin.