open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The title character of InuYasha. Especially jarring since they appear to be a different color.
- Applies to many characters, particularly because nearly all eyebrows seem to be black — and hair, especially on demons, is not.
- Most everybody in Revolutionary Girl Utena.
- Raimon "Monta" Taro of Eyeshield 21 takes it to nearly Captain Crunch-like levels. It's not that his hair is transparent, it's that his eyebrows simply go OVER his hair.
- Shoukoku No Altair after Art Evolution happened, particularly since the protagonist has Peek-a-Bangs.
- Arashi from Gad Guard's eyebrows are visible from her hair.
- K, particularly on Munakata and Weismann (when he has short hair, not so much when his hair is longer and combed back in the first season).
- Kimi Kiss
- Uta Kata
- Highschool of the Dead
- The Legend Of Legendary Heroes
- Everyone in I'm Gonna Be an Angel!.
- Not only does K-On! Tsumugi Kotobuki have unusually thick eyebrows, but the manga omake gags say they're takuan pickles!
- THE iDOLM@STER
- Present in 7 Seeds, especially in the case of Mozu, whose baseball cap visor will sometimes become transparent so that his eyes and eyebrows can be clearly seen.
- In 3-gatsu no Lion, this is only noticeable with light-haired people, like Smith; everyone else's hair is usually inked completely black. Eventually, the same effect is also done with Rei's eyes whenever they're covered by the frames of his glasses; the covering sections of the frames will be transparent/omitted from the art to leave his eyes visible.
- In Valvrave the Liberator, particularly on A-drei, a white-haired Bishōnen who wears his long bangs over his Glass Eye and scar from when his possessed friend shot him in the second episode.
- It is very rare to not see this in the Visual Novel genre since a single picture of one character repeated at least twenty or so times for different facial expressions can get very frustrating. It is indeed much easier to put one facial expression on the top layer and then paste and modify the expression for new ones.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker sets Link's eyes to be visible in front of his hair.
- Ken of Street Fighter is generally drawn with his black eyebrows visible in front of his blond hair.
- Though generally not a problem in the Ace Attorney series, some sprites with lighter hair display this trait.
- Most notably Klavier Gavin◊, with his dark eyebrows clearly visible behind his platinum blonde hair.
- Also evident with Olga Orly's◊ eyebrows, which are surprisingly large for a female, and are able to be seen clearly through her hair.
- Though not as obvious, this happens on both sets of Ema's sprites, her 16 year-old◊ self and her adult◊ self.
- Maya's eyebrows can be seen in two of her sprites. In her confidant/cheeky sprite◊ and temporarily in her shock sprite◊.
- Axel from the Disgaea series has eyebrows that float over his hair. It's especially noticeable because A) they are a completely different color from the rest of his hair, and B) they are shaped like lightning bolts◊.
- RWBY Chibi: The chibi artwork relies on oversized faces that express through eye, eyebrow and mouth movements. Most characters have different types of fringes, but their eyebrows are always visible even when they should be hidden by hair. Eyes are not given the visibility treatment, resulting in characters such as Roman, Cinder and Winter, whose hair covers most of one side of their faces; their affected eyebrows continue to visibly emote over an eye that is either mostly or fully invisible.
- In The Church of Poisoned Minds, the author-avatar has hair that always covers his eyes - but this doesn't stop his eyebrows from showing up whenever they're needed to convey an expression.
- Most characters in Ears for Elves with a fringe have these, though the brows are just a single line, but it's particularly noticeable on Myari. In order for her hair in its high tails to cover the same amount of face as it does on other characters, she has almost no forehead. However, her eyebrows can still be seen◊ the right distance above her eyes — in the middle of her scalp.
- EVIL: Several characters have this, but it's especially noticeable on Gabriel, whose black hair results in their being outlined in white and seeming to hover over his hair.
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!, Princess Voluptua's antenna eyebrows are usually visible despite her big pompadour of hair.
- A strip in Okashina Okashi parodied this. They were stuck in a shojo manga, and one of the guys was trying to make his eyebrows show through his bangs, like a Bishōnen.
Examples in which all facial features can be seen
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Umi Rengaya from the Excel Saga manga has hair which shows not only her eyebrows, but also her eyes, chin, and sometimes ears, to highlight both how transparent her attempts to flirt with Shiouji are, and how invisible she is to him.
- Count D in Pet Shop of Horrors has bangs that sometimes fall over his face, without affecting his eyes or brows in any way.
- Most of the characters (Van in particular, as he usually has borderline-Peek-a-Bangs) in The Vision of Escaflowne, as pictured above.
- Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
- In Saint Beast, loads of characters have Peek-a-Bangs, leading to both eyebrows and eyes showing through their hair.