TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Oddly Visible Eyebrows
Hair is transparent in the world of Gaea, apparently.
This is not strictly speaking wholly limited to anime and manga, but one of the most noticeable artistic conventions—after the big eyes and small mouth—is the fact that most characters' eyebrows are always visible, even when hair, a hat, or a bandage ought to cover them up. It's not quite as extreme as the American cartoon breakfast cereal spokesman Cap'n Crunch, whose eyebrows are on his hat
, but sometimes it does approach that level.
This is a borderline example of Acceptable Breaks from Reality
, since it would be very hard
to animate a part of the face and not touch the others when you can put the entire facial expression on the front-most layer and edit away to save a lot of time. Of course, averting
this trope simply means the artist is Doing It for the Art
Not to be confused with Unusual Eyebrows
, which are oddly visible for other reasons.
Anime and Manga
- The title character of InuYasha. Especially jarring since they appear to be a different color.
- Applies to many characters, particularly because nearly all eyebrows seem to be black — and hair, especially on demons, is not.
- Most everybody in Revolutionary Girl Utena.
- Raimon "Monta" Taro of Eyeshield 21 takes it to nearly Captain Crunch-like levels. It's not that his hair is transparent, it's that his eyebrows simply go OVER his hair.
- Arashi from Gad Guard's eyebrows are visible from her hair
- Kimi Kiss
- Uta Kata
- Highschool of the Dead
- The Legend Of Legendary Heroes
- Everyone in Tenshi Ni Narumon.
- Not only does K-On! Tsumugi Kotobuki have unusually thick eyebrows, but the manga omake gags say they're takuan pickles!
- THE iDOLM@STER
- Present in 7 Seeds, especially in the case of Mozu, whose baseball cap visor will sometimes become transparent so that his eyes and eyebrows can be clearly seen.
- In Sangatsu no Lion, this is only noticeable with light-haired people, like Smith; everyone else's hair is usually inked completely black. Eventually, the same effect is also done with Rei's eyes whenever they're covered by the frames of his glasses; the covering sections of the frames will be transparent/omitted from the art to leave his eyes visible.
- It is very rare to not see this in the Visual Novel genre since a single picture of one character repeated at least twenty or so times for different facial expressions can get very frustrating. It is indeed much easier to put one facial expression on the top layer and then paste and modify the expression for new ones.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker sets Link's eyes to be visible in front of his hair.
- Ken of Street Fighter is generally drawn with his black eyebrows visible in front of his blond hair.
- Though generally not a problem in the Ace Attorney series, some sprites with lighter hair display this trait.
- Most notably Klavier Gavin◊, with his dark eyebrows clearly visible behind his platinum blonde hair.
- Also evident with Olga Orly's◊ eyebrows, which are surprisingly large for a female, and are able to be seen clearly through her hair.
- Though not as obvious, this happens on both sets of Ema's sprites, her 16 year-old◊ self and her adult◊ self.
- Maya's eyebrows can be seen in two of her sprites. In her confidant/cheeky sprite◊ and temporarily in her shock sprite◊.
- Axel from the Disgaea series has eyebrows that float over his hair. It's especially noticeable because A) they are a completely different color from the rest of his hair, and B) they are shaped like lightning bolts◊.
- In The Church of Poisoned Minds, the author-avatar has hair that always covers his eyes - but this doesn't stop his eyebrows from showing up whenever they're needed to convey an expression.
- A strip in Okashina Okashi parodied this. They were stuck in a shojo manga, and one of the guys was trying to make his eyebrows show through his bangs, like a Bishōnen.
- Artist Phil Foglio does this a lot; Agatha from Girl Genius is a good example.
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob!, Princess Voluptua's antenna eyebrows are usually visible despite her big pompadour of hair.
- Remarked upon in this comic.
- In El Goonish Shive, this was originally averted but the trope was gradually brought in as part of the Art Evolution.
- Nadine in Demolition Squad
- Most characters in Ears for Elves with a fringe have these, though the brows are just a single line, but it's particularly noticeable on Myari. In order for her hair in its high tails to cover the same amount of face as it does on other characters, she has almost no forehead. However, her eyebrows can still be seen◊ the right distance above her eyes — in the middle of her scalp.
- Questionable Content sometimes uses them. It tends to be only for specific reactions though, e.g. in #2295 Marigold has them only in panel 1 and Faye only has them in panel 2.
- Done Throughout Keychain of Creation, it can be seen on both the first page and the latest.
- Hanna-Barbera's Yogi Bear also had eyebrows that could be seen jutting up across the brim of his hat, and indeed, even his eyeballs followed suit, overlapping where a normal hat would clearly have covered part of them up.
Examples in which all facial features can be seen
Anime and Manga
- Umi Rengaya from the Excel Saga manga has hair which shows not only her eyebrows, but also her eyes, chin, and sometimes ears, to highlight both how transparent her attempts to flirt with Shiouji are, and how invisible she is to him.
- Count D in Pet Shop of Horrors has bangs that sometimes fall over his face, without affecting his eyes or brows in any way.
- Most of the characters (Van in particular, as he usually has borderline-Peek-a-Bangs) in Vision of Escaflowne, as pictured above.
- Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
- In Saint Beast, loads of characters have Peek-a-Bangs, leading to both eyebrows and eyes showing through their hair.
- Ebbirnoth from Schlock Mercenary has (weirdly, two) eyebrows which seem to float independently of his single, giant eyeball. They remain external even when his 'head' is armored, and remain even when his eye has been blown off and is regenerating in a giant fishbowl…
- Just some WMG to liven your day, but it's possible that the eyebrows are some kind of prosthesis to facilitate Unioc-Human communications. Nonverbals must be a pain in Tagon's Toughs.
- Misfile's main character has huge bangs that frequently cover large sections of his/her face. Ash hasn't noticed any problem from it.