SPL: Sha Po Lang
(Chinese: 殺破狼, released in the United States as Kill Zone
) is a 2005 Hong Kong action film written and directed by Yip Wai-shun, and starring Donnie Yen
, Sammo Hung
and Simon Yam. The film was released in Hong Kong on 18 November 2005. Yam portrays Chan Kwok-chung, a retiring police detective who resorts to the use of questionable methods in order to catch Wong Po (Hung), a ruthless triad boss, before he dies of a brain tumor. Donnie Yen plays Ma Kwun, Chan's protege, who will inherit the case against Wong after Chan dies.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Wong Po is considerably tougher than his chosen assassin, Jack.
- Car Cushion: Ma Kwun lands on a car after his Destination Defenestration. Unusual for the trope, neither the person falling nor the people in the car survive.
- Destination Defenestration: The ultimate fate of Ma Kwun.
- Framing the Guilty Party: One of the dirty tactics that Chan's team uses to take down Wong.
- Knife Nut: Jack does most of his killings with his tanto knife.
- The Last Dance: Chan is determined to take Wong down before he dies.
- Lawman Baton: Ma's favored weapon is a telescoping baton.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Fist Fight: During the alley fight, Ma Kwan manages to beat the knife-wielding assassin Jack bloody with his steel baton, but is unable to finish him and Jack manages to strip him of his baton. When Jack attacks the unarmed Kwan, Kwan grabs his knife, twists it around, and guts Jack like a fish.
- Precision Crash: When Ma Kwun is thrown out of a window at the end of the movie, his body lands on the car holding Wong Po's wife and child, killing them instantly.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: Triad crimelord Wong Po, the villain played by Sammo Hung, defeats the hero Inspector Ma played by Donnie Yen by sending him right out a window... right onto the Wong family's waiting car with Po's beloved child and wife still inside, killing all three of them.
- Red Filter of Doom: The red filter is used when Jack kills the witness and kicks off the plot.