Creator: Sammo Hung
Hong-Kong-based martial artist, actor, producer, director, and fight choreographer. Hung is known throughout Asia as "The Great Dragon", and is, along with the other two "Dragons", Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao, credited with creating the modern Martial Arts Movie. Sammo grew up along with Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao, and the three were raised to become performers of Peking Opera, alongside other kungfu legends like Yuen Wah, Yuan Qiu, and Cory Yuen (Contrary to popular belief, Yuen Wo Ping was not part of the Seven Little Fortunes. Wo Ping's surname is really Yuen, the Seven Little Fortunes just adopted the surname Yuen in honor of their teacher who's surname was Yuen). The Peking Opera tradition is famed for it's highly acrobatic fighting scenes, which the three carried with them to their film productions. Sammo's trademark over-weightedness comes from a period in his youth, when he was bedridden with disease for three months and was unable to train.Hung is not particularly well-known in the West as an actor, but has done a lot of stunt work (he worked as the stunt co-ordinator on Enter the Dragon, and played Bruce Lee's opponent in the opening scene). He claims to have convinced Lee to have a real fight with him, but won't say who won. In Asia, he is considered one of the superstars of action films. Westerners are most likely to remember him for starring in the TV series Martial Law.He could have been the swords-master for the Star Wars prequel-trilogy. Unfortunately, the financers of Fox Studios vetoed the idea.
Tropes relating to this performer:
- Acrofatic: Sammo is built like a teddy bear, but is still extremely agile.
- Badass Grandpa/Cool Old Guy: Pushing sixty, but can still beat people half his age and weight on- and off-screen. If he wants to, he will DESTROY you. As seen in Ip Man 2.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Sammo is a cigar aficionado.
- Schoolyard Bully All Grown Up: He used to bully Jackie Chan while they attended the same school. However, now the two have starred in the same films together and are no longer enemies.
- Skunk Stripe: From Martial Law onwards.