is a Platform Game
that's being produced by up-and-coming indie developer Galaxytrail/Strife, based on characters by artist ZiyoLing
, developed on the Multimedia Fusion 2 platform. The gameplay is similar to Sonic the Hedgehog
in that it focuses on high speed platforming, but it puts an equally strong focus on combat and mixes in a bunch of other vaguely recognizable gameplay elements such as Mega Man
styled combat and Gunstar Heroes
styled bosses. The game is designed to feel like 2D Japanese import titles from the PlayStation
/Saturn era, combining detailed sprites and environments with high quality music tracks, full voice acting and animated cutscenes. Strife has said that he wants the game out sometime in early 2014.
The story centers around a trio of Cute Monster Girls
- dragon girl Sash Lilac
, her best friend, wildcat Carol Tea
, and hound dog Milla Basset
- as they battle against an alien warlord named Lord Brevon
who has crash landed on their planet. Their Supporting Leader
, Torque the Shellduck, is on a mission to stop Brevon before he steals the Kingdom Stone
, but since the bad guys took most of his equipment, the girls offer to help him in his quest with their unique abilities.
A demo that contains the first stage along with several unlockable features is currently available for PC. You can find it on their website here
. It also will be coming to Steam
, after a successful Steam Greenlight campaign
This game provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Lilac, Carol and Neera Li.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Averted with Syntax, who remains obedient to Lord Brevon.
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Each of the playable characters (including future expansion pack characters) have vastly different abilities, to the point where the only thing they have in common is the physics.
- Another Side, Another Story: Providing you've beaten the game already, a planned future expansion pack will add a story scenario for Spade.
- Badass Adorable: All three of the main girls, but special mention goes to Carol, who is a cute wildcat that knocks out robots with Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs, wall jumps, and drives a Cool Bike.
- Badass Biker: Carol's motorbike is one of her powerups.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Milla is the beauty, Lilac is the brains and Carol is the brawn. Given Lilac's fashion sense and fighting abilities, though, she could potentially fill all three roles on her own.
- Big Good: The Royal Magister is this to Shang Tu.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Serpentine was infected with a virus that made him completely obedient to Lord Brevon, but also drove him to insanity.
- Continue Your Mission, Dammit!: Stand still for a minute during a stage and your character will urge you to keep moving in some way. Wait long enough, though, and they stop complaining.
- Cool Bike: Carol has one, that appears from nowhere when she encounters a can of gasoline.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Milla runs around barefoot.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Avalice (the game's planet) bears some strong resemblances to China, and some of the graphics contain Chinese characters.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Milla's outfit is largely symmetrical, but she wears a green bracelet and orange anklet on her right side, while wearing an orange bracelet and green anklet on her left (although given she's almost always slightly facing the camera, her right side is her sprite's left side, and vice versa). Special care was given to ensure this is consistent for all her sprites, regardless of which direction she's facing. The game largely uses ambidextrous sprites, otherwise.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: In the demo, collecting all the hidden cards in Dragon Valley unlocks a mahjong minigame.
- Hailfire Peaks: Thermal Base mixes fire and water elements into one stage.
- Hartman Hips: Lilac has 'em in her artwork.
- Humongous Mecha: The boss of the third stage is Serpentine in a giant robot panther. It takes all four heroes working together at the same time to defeat him. A preview can be found here.
- Jungle Japes: The second half of Dragon Valley. The first half is more of a wasteland area with traces of jungle in the lower sections.
- Large and in Charge: Lord Brevon is by far the tallest and heaviest character.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the playable characters, Lilac is the fastest and has the strongest normal attacks.
- Mayor Pain: Mayor Zao of Shang Mu.
- Prehensile Hair: Lilac's main form of attack is to whip her two long strands of hair at enemies. She can also form them into a wheel to roll around or spin like a top.
- Supporting Leader: Torque the Shellduck. The protagonists spend the majority of the game helping him complete his mission to stop Lord Brevon.
- Sidetrack Bonus: There are plenty of goodies tucked into the corners of each stage, and a bit of exploration almost always leads to something useful.
- The Rival: Lilac and Carol have two - Spade and Serpentine - whom they fight interchangeably during the story.
- Rolling Attack: The ground roll seen in Sonic games was once a normal move for each character but has been limited to Carol as one of her special moves.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: Carol being the "tiger" and Lilac being the dragon.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Carol and Lilac, respectively. On top of that, Milla looks to be even more "girly-girl" than Lilac.
- Videogame Settings
- Wall Jump: Carol can cling to walls and kick herself off of them in a style similar to Mega Man X.