"I'm just a mean green mother from outer space and I'm bad.
I'm just a mean green mother, a real disgrace,
And you've got me fightin' mad!
I'm just a mean green mother from outer space,
Gonna trash your ass,
Gonna rock this place,
'Cause I'm mean and green, and I am BAD!"In many works, villains wear green or have green skin. This may be because green seems like an alien color since it doesn't appear naturally in humans. It is also the color of many reptiles and amphibians. Green is often associated with poison and envy. Green skin is often a feature of the Wicked Witch. A subtrope of Good Colors, Evil Colors and Secondary Color Nemesis and supertrope to Sickly Green Glow. Contrast Red Is Heroic.
— Audrey II, Little Shop of Horrors
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Most Spider-Man villains have green skin or wear green costumes, including the Green Goblin, Lizard, Mysterio, Sandman, Electro, Vulture, Scorpion, and Doctor Octopus. This is most likely due to Secondary Color Nemesis and red/green Color Contrast.
- Lex Luthor typically wears suits with green and purple accents. His iconic power armour is also green and purple.
- Brainiac has green skin.
- Metallo often wears green armour and has a Green Kryptonite heart.
- In Krypton No More the soldiers of an invading alien civilization known as the J'ai wear dark green Powered Armor.
- Mongul's vessel seen in Warworld is dark-green.
- Pre-Crisis Mad Scientist Lesla-Lar◊ who tried to steal Supergirl's life, wore green.
- In Demon Spawn Nightflame◊ dresses a full-body, tight, green suit. She is a Flaming Sword-wielding warrior and sorceress.
- In Supergirl Volume 2 #21, Supergirl and Superman fight an incarnation of Kryptonite Man which is completely green-skinned.
- And in Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man the titular heroes face up to Lex Luthor and Doctor Octopus. Both villains wear green jumpsuits.
- Batman has villains clad in green, such as The Riddler, and Mad Hatter, as well as villains who are physically green, such as Poison Ivy, Killer Croc. The Joker also has green hair.
- The Incredible Hulk can be pretty destructive at times. His archenemies, the Leader and the Abomination, also fit here.
- Doctor Doom wears a long green cape.
- The Skrulls from the Fantastic Four comics have green skin.
- The terrorist organization Hydra in Captain America are dressed in green.
- Iron Man:
- The Mandarin's traditional Chinese wear is usually green.
- Long-running Evil Knockoff the Titanium Man wears an all green suit of armour.
- Teen Titans and Secret Six villain Cheshire has unnervingly bright green eyes and wears green clothing. She's a very bad person.
- Children of an Elder God: Amaliel, Asuka's first adversary she fought and killed was a lime-green, gelatinous Sea Monster packed with claws, pincers and tentacles.
- In Once More with Feeling, Sachiel, the third Angel, is described as green-skinned.
Its 'skin' was a verdant green, covering its dangling arms and long legs, punctuated by white, bony looking structures over its shoulders and along its flanks, offset by a huge red sphere embedded in its chest.
- The titular character in How the Grinch Stole Christmas!.
- The Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz movie. Note that she's also far more evil in the film than the book - where she has no green skin.
- Oz: The Great and Powerful the Wicked Witch doesn't gain her green skin until after her Face–Heel Turn. Likewise the Wicked Witch Evanora wears several green gowns, and an emerald pendant.
- In Galaxy Quest the Fatu-Krey soldiers under command of Big Bad Sarris.
- Power Rangers (2017): Rita Repulsa is made into the former Green Ranger for this continuity, and is the most heinous incarnation of the character yet.
Live Action TV
- Once Upon a Time specifically mentions that the Wicked Witch of the West's green skin comes from her envy. When she abandons her chance at becoming good, the white jewel in her power centre turns green. Likewise at one point, she also draws a parallel between red and green apples - green are far more bitter.
- Peyton Royce calls herself the Venus Flytrap of NXT, and is The Bully to many of the other NXT girls. Her wardrobe is full of green outfits to go with the plant theme.
- Goblins and orcs in various fantasy MMORPGs.
- In Super Mario Bros., Bowser is mostly green.
- Zeena of the Deadly Six from Sonic Lost World.
- A few villains from the Klonoa series. For example, Garlen and Bagoo wear green, and the King of Sorrow has green fur.
- In BlazBlue, Hazama has green hair and his Battle Aura takes the form of green energy shaped like snakes. His true form is a green Energy Being with a Slasher Smile.
- King K. Rool, as well as several of the Kritters from Donkey Kong Country have green scales.
- Lampshaded in Baldurs Gate 2, in a side-quest where your character gets interrogated by a Knight Templar. If you respond "green" to his question of what your favourite colour is, he instantly takes this as proof of your villainy as green is the colour of envy, poison, bile and rot (incidentally, he does this no matter what your answer is. To any of his questions.).
- On The Powerpuff Girls, the girls' arch-enemy, Mojo Jojo, has green skin. There's also the Gangreen Gang. Buttercup wears green and is the meanest of the three.
- Kim Possible villain Shego wears a green outfit and has green eyes and faintly green-tinted skin.
- The Constructicons in Transformers are mostly green.
- Roger Klotz from Doug.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- On The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, the Hooded Claw wears a green cloak over a purple suit.
- Space Ghost's insectoid enemy, Zorak, is green.
- On Laff-A-Lympics, green is the Really Rottens' team color. Besides that, Dread Baron wears a green military uniform.
- Peridot from Steven Universe is a green alien and the show's second sapient antagonist.
- Ed Bighead from Rocko's Modern Life. His wife Bev, however, is an aversion, though she does tend to get just as irritable at times.
- Dread the Evil Genie from Jake and the Never Land Pirates, whose magic has a Sickly Green Glow to match.
- Lord Dominator from Wander over Yonder, underneath her armor.
- Rancid Rabbit from CatDog.
- Plankton from SpongeBob SquarePants. Squidward can become this at times, though he's really more of an aquamarine color.
- In Lost In Oz, West, the stand-in for the Wicked Witch, has normal colored skin, but it gets a Sickly Green Glow when her greed gets the better of her.