Notice a pattern here?Source
For some reason, the color green
is associated with mystical/mysterious powers. In fiction, it's translated by the Artifact of Doom
or the phlebotium glowing green or being made of emerald. Sometimes, a character himself
is this if his green skin is a distinctive feature.
Possibly due to the fact that normally nothing gives off green or purple light except from artificial sources. Natural incandescent light (such as flame) is red, orange, yellow, white or more rarely blue.
This trope is also why Green Rocks
are named so, even though the trope does not require the color.
A Sister Trope
to Sickly Green Glow
(sub-trope for when the green thing is evil or scary), Supernatural Is Purple
open/close all folders
- Depicting willpower or courage as a green energy is quite popular:
- The Green Lantern Corps, obviously. Though as of the 2000s their power has been established as only one of several, though it is the most balanced.
- Gurren Lagann's mechas and even their pilots turn green when they fight seriously.
- Same for GaoGaiGar.
- Getter Rays from Getter Robo are also green.
- The Legend of Zelda: Link, The Triforce of Courage and the Goddess of Courage Farore are represented by Green.
- Radioactive stuff almost always glow green, too.
- A bag of money in any media is usually full of green dollars. And money is a power.
- A witch brew is almost always green - if not the witch herself.
Anime and Manga
- Averted with Jingoro Amayo from Basilisk: he is green skinned and possess abilities, but his supernatural power (being a slugman) is probably the lamest in the series.
- C.C. is an "immortal witch" with long, green hair.
- D.Gray-Man: the Innocences glow green, with Allen's leaking green light in its first, weaker stages.
- While a Super Saiyan glow is usually yellow, Broly has a green one. It loses some of the green tint once he gets rid of his father's mind control device, but his signature ki attacks remain bright green.
- Also, both the Earth's God and Dragon Ball final boss, Satan, are Namekians.
- In Fairy Tail, Zero, Brain's Superpowered Evil Side, uses green colored Dark Magic.
- GaoGaiGar G-Stone, which translate raw courage into energy.
- Sacred Gears in High School Dx D glow green when activated.
- In Sengoku Basara, Mitsuhide has a Sickly Green Glow Battle Aura. Considering that he survived afer being left in a burning temple to die and that he also tries to resurrect his former master Nobunaga with a dark ritual, we can see something "mystical" in it.
- In Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Nurse Angel's power source is the Green Vaccine, so her attacks often take this color...with the alternative being pink. She does fire off a lot of pink energy too.
- Both The Incredible Hulk and She-Hulk are green. And they're indeed powerful.
- Martian Manhunter. A simple glance at him tells you he's just as strong as Superman.
- The original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, could shape and control magic green fire. The book was later rebooted with a sci-fi premise, but still qualified as the Lanterns wielded green alien energy. It was only in the 2000s when Lanterns wielding similar energies of other colors emerged, dropping out of this trope by making green not particularly special.
- Alan Scott's daughter Jade has an internalized version of his powers, plus green skin (and though she has traveled in space, she is not a Green-Skinned Space Babe).
- The Spectre, God's spirit of vengeance on Earth, wears a green robe and frequently uses green flames with his powers.
- The phrase "Magic is green" is used to refer to Matt Wagner's Mage comic book, as that color is used for the effects of the wizard character.
- The Emerald Empress, a Legion of Super-Heroes villainess.
- Magyk in Septimus Heap is natural and symbolized by green, and Wizards have Green Eyes.
- The Warlock Lord from The Sword of Shannara is a wraith made of eerie green mist.
- Arya from the Inheritance Cycle. Her magic color is green, her eyes are green, (hell, anything associated with her is green) and she is probably one of the most badass characters in the series.
- Akhor/Varien's soulgem in Tales of Kolmar is green. As a great silver dragon he's got some psychic powers. As a human he loses them unless he's holding his soulgem against his forehead. It's also used to awaken the Lesser Kindred and restore the Lost later in the series.
- In the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, power associated with Lord Foul and the Illearth Stone usually manifests as noxious green light. In the third book while his power is ascendant, Foul turns the moon green, apparently just because he can.
- Promicin, the luminous green neurotransmitter from The 4400.
- The tip of the Eleventh Doctor's sonic screwdriver glows green. The one used by Nine and Ten was blue.
- Lorne in Angel...he was an empath who could tell the future when other characters sang, and he was also a green-skinned demon.
- The Green Ranger of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is the most powerful one. (Generally doesn't apply to following series, though, where their Green Rangers are just one of the team.)
- Exalted: Green is the color of Hell, for it's drenched in the light of Ligier. Ligier is a green sun who is also the heart of Malfeas, the King of Yozis and the Demon City itself. Appropriately enough, Hell's chosens are called Green Sun Princes. They have access to One-Winged Angel form in which they turn into green-colored walking nuclear wasteland.
- In Wicked, the green-skinned Elphaba has immense magical power. And she just happens to be a Half-Human Hybrid, too.
- Green mushrooms in the Super Mario Bros. series will give you an extra life.
- Tiberium from the Command & Conquer series is the most valuable substance in the world (leading to the GDI and Nod fighting over it) and will either kill or mutate anybody who steps in it.
- The Chaos Emeralds from Sonic the Hedgehog are a bit of a subversion as they're not all green. They're still the strongest phlebotinum in the universe. The Master Emerald, however, is actually green.
- Life Crystals in The Dig.
- More than once in Final Fantasy:
- Pokemon Ruby And Sapphire: No matter which version you own, the strongest Olympus Mons you can catch is Rayquaza, the green dragon. And it's the mascot of the enhanced third version, Pokémon Emerald.
- League of Legends: Chogath's eyes, the anubite Nasus and the undead Sion glow green in their artworks.
- In BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Hazama's Unlimited form is surrounded by a green life-stealing aura.
- The Vortigaunts attack with some kind of green lightning. In the multiplayer game Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, it's a One-Hit KO.
- In Minecraft, the exploding Creepers are green.
- While most fighters in the Tekken series are normal humans fighting barehanded, Yoshimitsu is a green alien-robot-ninja fighting with a green laser sword.
- The alien artifacts in Darkstar One that you use to upgrade your ship look like giant green crystals.
- Homestuck: the near-omnipotent First Guardians are powered by the Green Sun. Use of their powers is associated with the color green, and occasionally they themselves flash green.
- Lord English and his gang The Felt are also associated with green, in part due to their connection with the game of pool.
- Zoophobia: Zill's powers glow an incandescent green.
- In The Order of the Stick, Roy's sword glows green after it is reforged with starmetal.
- In El Goonish Shive, the Dewitchery Diamond is green.
- Danny Phantom: The Ghost Zone is generally green-colored, and the protagonist himself has Green Eyes and green blood in ghost form and shoots green blast of ectoplasmic energy.
- The Flying Dutchman and his boat in Spongebob Squarepants.
- The Omnitrix of Ben 10 gives off a bright green glow whenever it does anything particularly powerful, and Ben's transformations happens in a flash of green light. The Trope only increased as the story goes on: starting with Ben 10: Alien Force, the Omnitrix becomes green itself, the alien forms have green eyes, Ben himself dress in green (and so do his alien forms starting with Ben 10: Omniverse) and it's eventually revealed his favourite color is green (like we didn't guess). He could generally rival Green Lantern at this point.
- The Power Primate from Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! is normally manifested as green energy — in more extreme cases, it takes the form of a giant green energy gorilla.