Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial
is a 2010 film made by Tsuburaya Productions and directed by Yuichi Abe for the Ultraman Franchise
. It serves as a sequel to the Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends
movie and focuses on Ultraman Zero
as its main hero. It was followed by a sequel movie Ultraman Saga
, which was release 2 years later in 2012. The movie itself is notable for several expys
of other Tsuburaya characters joining Zero, such as GlenFire
, Mirror Knight
and Jean Bot
Somewhere in another universe, Ultraman Belial
has set himself up as Galactic Emperor Kaiser Belial, despotic ruler of the galaxy. He has set his sights on the planet Esmeralda, wanting its emeralds for their great power. The planet itself is decimated, with its champion Mirror Knight infected by Belial's evil. All seems lost for this universe...
...Meanwhile, in the M78 Galaxy, Darklopses are invading. Their all easily dispatched thanks to Ultaman Zero and his father Ultra Seven
. Upon inspecting a Darklops core, The Ultras see that the energy is coming from another universe. Zero is sent, with "Zero Bracelet" for backup power, to investigate who is attacking Galaxy M78 and why. Taking the form of Run, a young man from the planet Anu, he goes with Run's brother Nao, Princess of Esmeralda Emerana and her ship Jean Bird
, they travel the galaxy making allies with the Pirates of Flame and Glen Fire, cleanse mirror Knight and the hunt for the fabled "Shield of Baradhi" to stop Belial's evil once and for all...
Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial provides examples of the following tropes:
- Another Dimension: Most of the film takes place in one.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever
- An Axe to Grind: Jean Bot has a axe installed in him.
- Back-to-Back Badasses
- Ultra Seven and Ultraman Zero.
- Also Ultraman Zero and GlenFire.
- Badass: Zero, Glen Fire, Jean Bot and Mirror Knight get their moments of badassery.
- Badass Crew: Ultimate Force Zero by the end of the film.
- Big Bad: Ultraman Belial
- Big Damn Heroes: GlenFire returns during the Final Battle to save Ultraman Zero from Arch Belial. he's not alone either.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Jean Bot has one of these.
- Boisterous Bruiser: GlenFire
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Belial has Zero stuck in human form, captured and defenseless. So naturally, he takes this time to show him the entire revenge plan.
- The Cavalry: GlenFire shows up with three entire space fleets at the Darkest Hour to help turn the tide of the Final Battle.
- Continuity Drift: Ultraman Noa. (Made especially confusing as Nexus's series is from a different universe not akin to the Showa universe. Also borders on Deus ex Machina since Noa's only role in the film is to give Zero his Ultimate Zero armor to defeat Belial.)
- Cool Starship: All over the place.
- Critical Annoyance
- Dark Is Evil: Belial fit this to a T.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: Between Glen Fire and Ultraman Zero.
- Disney Death: Happens with Emerana.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- Four Temperament Ensemble: Ultimate Force Zero
- Sanguine — Ultraman Zero
- Choleric — GlenFire
- Melancholic — Jean Bot
- Phlegmatic — Mirror Knight
- Healing Hands: Well, it's healing light, but Zero does this for Mirror Knight.
- Henshin Hero: Zero himself.
- The Hero: [[CaptaiGlenFire does this to save his new friends from Belial's Empire.
- Hot-Blooded: GlenFire. Being a GIANT HUMANOID MADE OF FIRE and voiced by Tomokazu Seki, this is to be expected
- Humongous Mecha: Jean Bot
- The Empire
- Evil Laugh: Belial if fond of this.
- Evil Overlord: Belial
- Evil Plan: 1: Make Darklopses. 2: Power them with emeralds. 3: Send armies of them to destroy the Land of Light.
- Kid Hero: Nao
- Kid With The Remote Control: Nao becomes this when he fights with Jean Bot against an evil robot.
- Light Is Good: Zero. He is an Ultraman, after all.
- Magnetic Hero: Zero
- McGuffin: The Shield of Baradhi.
- Mooks: Legionoids and Darklopses.
- Multiversal Conqueror: Belial, by this film.
- The Multiverse: Zero (and the audience) get a small peek of it as Zero investigates the strange energy.
- My Hero Zero: Ultraman Zero
- Not Quite Dead: Ultraman Belial. And GlenFire later on.
- One-Winged Angel: Kaiser Belial absorbs all the emeralds and transforms into the gigantic Arch Belial for the final battle.
- Playing with Fire: GlenFire, of course.
- The Quest
- Revenge: Belial's main motivation. Given that it's the subtitle is ''THE REVENGE OF BELIAL'', that's to be expected.
- Rule of Cool: Glen Fire and the Pirates of Flame having fire IN SPACE!
- Scenery Porn: Land of Light, Esmeralda, various space shots, starship interiors, etc.
- Slasher Smile: Ultraman Belial constantly has this.
- Symbiotic Possession: Between Run and Zero.
- Space Opera
- Space Pirates: The Pirates of Flame
- Spin Off Spring: Zero is the son of Ultra Seven.
- Super Mode: Belial and Zero both get these.
- Tagalong Kid: Nao, Run's little brother.
- Theme Song: Ultraman Zero gets one.
- Transformation Sequence: Ultraman Zero and Jean Bot get these.
- Transformation Trinket: Zero's Ultra Zero Eye.
- Transforming Mecha: Jean Bird to Jean Bot.
- Traveling at the Speed of Plot
- Unexplained Recovery: Both GlenFire and Ultraman Zero do this.
- The Virus: What's inside Mirror Knight after he was attacked by Ultraman Belial.