Series: Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle
"Attack! Gomora/Litra/Eleking!"Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle
is the first season of the 24th entry in the Tsuburaya Productions' long-running Ultra Series
Far in the future, when humans have paved their way into space, the crew members of a delivery company named ZAP Spacy land on a mysterious, monster-infested planet known as Bolis. There, they dicover Rei, a half-human, half-Reiblood with the power to control monsters, who joins their crew in their effort to stop the rampaging monsters, as well as the dark entity known as Reiblood whose power Rei shares. The series is filled with a plethora of kaiju from Ultraman
series old and new, but most of the suits and plotlines are recycled as well.
open/close all folders
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Haruna
- Alas, Poor Villain: The death of Kate and the revelation of her purpose is a very sad moment.
- Aloof Ally: Initially, the ZAP Spacy crew is mistrustful of Rei.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Zetton's weak spot is the top of his shield, and Velokron's is his mouth. Both are exploited
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: You think?
- Gomora becomes this in the following series, UGMB NEO, at this point Gomora is still fairly inexperienced. Nonetheless, being the key monster he does get the lion's share of awesomeness.
- King Joe Black, on the other hand, is on top form in this series, being both an Implacable Man and a walking Crowning Moment Of Awesome.
- Badass Normal: Captain Hyuga
- Beware The Cute Ones: Eleking is positively adorable, and can even trasform into a tiny, chibi version of himself. He is also extremely powerful.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Both King Joe Black and Zetton barely make a sound, and are among the series' most powerful monsters.
- The ZAP Spacy ship can unleash one of these.
- King Joe Black also has a huge arm cannon.
- The Brute: Fire Golza, and to a lesser extent, Red King
- Combat Tentacles
- Juran, a giant flower ues vines in combat.
- Gudon has whips for hands, and Nova can fire arope with a scthe at the tip.
- Combining Mecha: King Joe Black is actually the fusion of 4 ships.
- Curbstomp Battle
- Gomora's early battles against Red King and Golza are this.
- Initially, Fire Golza vs Gomora is this, as is Gan-Q vs Gomora.
- Zetton and King Joe Black take this Up to Eleven, curbstomping all of Rei's monsters at once.
- Gomora returns the favor once he enters EX form, thrashing bith Setton and King Joe Black without any trouble.
- Dark Action Girl: Kate is a far more powerful Reionyx han Rei for most of the series.
- Death Ray
- Most famous in Gomora's Super Oscillatory Ray.
- Although the aforementioned attack is already very powerful, EX Gomora's Hyper Osciallatory Ray takes it to the impossible.
- King Joe Black, Zetton, ZAP Spacy's ships and Eleking also evoke this trope.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Eleking invokes this trope after defeat by Rei's Gomora.
- Deflector Shields: Zetton forms one which allows him to consume to enegy of the projectiles that strike it.
- Disney Death: In essence, King Joe Black's.
- The Dragon
- Zetton to Kate.
- King Joe Black to the (yet unseen) Pedan Seijin.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Rei, who only realises his true Reionyx Form in the finale.
- Dumb Muscle: Literally every evil kaiju is substantially less intelligent than the protagonists.
- Enemy Civil War: King Joe Black, the Reionyx Slayer, eventually battles Kate, the antagonist Reionyx of the series.
- Evil Only Has to Win Once：Seemingly evoked after Kate's first victory via Zetton, but Rei goes Reionyx (which ws actually Kate's plan all along) and curbstomps King Joe Black AND Zetton.
- Eye Beams:Gan-Q and Zetton.
- Eye Lights Out: The Sadoras after being killed by Fire Golza
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Gan-Q agai, whose whole body is an eye (and his legs have eyes on them as well).
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Most of the kaiju are gored by Gomora, incinerated from the inside out before imploding into a ball of flame after a ruthless beatdown.
- Finishing Move
- Gomora's Super Oscillatory Ray, and later EX Gomora's Hyper Oscillatory Ray.
- Eleking's electric beam also counts, as does his shock tail.
- For the Bad Guys, there's Neronga's lightning bolt and Zetton's Rebound Ray. While its not really a finisher in spirit, King Joe Black's energy blasts nearly always finish his foes the moment he decides to use them.
- Five-Man Band
- Giant Equals Invincible: Subverted as ZAP Spacy, an exploration crew, is able to hold its own well against kaiju.
- Glass Cannon: Neronga is a very dangerous monster, with lethal firepower and invisibility which enable hm to outmatch Gomora, but can be killed by a single strike from Telesdon's (one of the show's weakest kaiju) flame breath.
- Gonna Need More X: ZAP Spacy upon meeting Red King.
- Good All Along: To some extent, Kate, for as it turns out, she is only trying to unlock the Reionyx within Rei. The means which she will go to achieve her ends, however....
- Gotta Catch Them All: Avertd as the Battlenizer only has three slots and Rei spends most of his time killing or fending off his foes, not catching them. That said, Bandai does want you to catch all their toys.
- Heel-Face Turn: Eleking after capture by Rei.
- High-Altitude Battle: ZAP Spacy vs. King Joe Black.
- Homage: This series is chockful of homages and references to previous Ultra series, just like its precedessor Ultraman Mebius.
- Implacable Man
- Perhaps the poster boy for this trope in this series is King Joe Black, who basically takes everything Gomora, Eleking, Litra and later even Zetton throws at him without and strikes back with double the strength, and later even survives fricking EX Gomora， recovers, and attacks the ZAP ship, and is only stopped when Ultraman drags him down into the planet as it explodes.
- However, the first Implacable Monster in the series is actually Fire Golza, the first of Kate's 3 incredibly powerful monsters, who basically lets Gomora spray his Super Oscillatory Ray at him for an extended period of time and takes it without any injury, stress or effort, and everything Gomora throws at him is useless. Even after a repeated assault by ZAP Spacy and Gomora tries to destroy him from the inside out by stabbing his chest with his horn and firing the SOR, but he YANKS it out. he still survives and is only killed when his own ally accidentally shoots him, finally giving him enough punishment for the brute to expire.
- Invisible Monsters: Neronga
- Laughably Evil: Red King is mostly played for laughs after his first appearance.
- Mons: Well, we heard about alien catch Kaiju and use them against Ultra in previous Ultra Series. But this is the first time The Hero focus on it.
- Monster of the Week: Like all Ultra series, it heavily invokes this trope, but unusually it has a far more focused and ongoing plot.
- Never Trust an Opening: The Opening displays a montage of a colossal battle royale where Golza fights Velokron, Muruchi battles Doragoris, and so on so forth... 95% of the battles shown don't happen.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Zetton is an Alien Dinosaur.
- The Phoenix: Litra can turn into this.
- Plant Aliens: Juran
- Plucky Comic Relief: Oki, the least experienced of the crew and a total monster fanatic/nerd.
- Ray Gun: The ZAP Spacy crew members are each armed with one capable of harming kaiju, and their ships are armed with even stronger blastes. The villainous King Joe Black is also armed with one.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Ultraman is sealed on a mountain face and the protagonists are in seach of him.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains: Rei vs. Kate
- Sink or Swim Mentor: Kate, very much.
- Spell My Name with an S: Literally al the monsters, and even the humans!
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: The end of the series.
- Took a Level in Badass: The ZAP Spacy Crew, being cargo trasportrs, are initially helpless againstany kaiju, but by the series end they can take on even powerful ones.
- Training from Hell: Kate's exploits and atempts to destroy ZAP Spacy and Rei is in fact her trying to help Rei grow into a truly powerful Reionyx.
- True Companions: ZAP Spacy + Rei
- Wham Episode
- Episode 8 — King Joe Black arrives, and the following Ep where he thrashes everyone.
- Also Episode 3 for having the first kaiju to give Gomora a run for his money (Neronga).
- The Worf Effect: Gomora spends most of the series getting his ass kicked, and requiring help to defeat normal monsters. He still beats them in the end though, if with help from ZAP Spacy or Litra/Eleking.
- Artistic License - Physics: The mere existence of the kaiju. Worse still, many are aerodynamic.
Ultra Galaxy NEO
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey provides examples of the following tropes:
- Axe Crazy: Burst Mode Reimon
- Badass: Reionyx Burst Gomora, Gomora's Superpowered Evil Mode, who proves strong enough to take on an army of King Joe Blacks. Oh, and in the movie, he wipes the floor with three Ultras.
- RED KING, oh so very much.
- Memphilas with the Sword of Darkness kills kaiju while human sized.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Mikulas seems useless at first but is actually strong enough to beat the hell of Kelbeam and wrap him up with his own tail.
- Battle Aura: The Reionyx Kaiju tend to axude this when powering up.
- BFG: The Pendragon Cannon
- Big Bad: Armored Darkness
- Bigger Bad: Reiblood Seijin, who revives and empowers Armored Darkness and is responsible for all the evil in the planet. He is also the one that creates Rei's superpowered evil side, and goes on to be the one giving Belial his powers and fueling his evil in the Movie.
- Blue Oni Red Oni: Rei and Grande. Subverted as Rei is the more passionate and emotional of the two.
- Breather Episode: After the introduction of a key villain, the death of a major character and Rei's powerups that take place in Episodes 6 and 7, Episode 8 provides a good breather with comic relief by Zarab
- Calling Your Attacks: Funnily enough, Rei does this for his monsters
- Conversation Of Ninjutsu: One King Joe Black? A big enough threat to be the primary antagonist of the first Galaxy and prove just about unstoppable. An army of King Joe Blacks? Get exterminated en masse by Rei and his team.
- The Dragon: Memphilas Seijin becomes one to Armored Darkness upon taking his sword.
- Death Equals Redemption: Dale, one of the Reionyx Hunters and a key antagonist, dies turning on his empire and freeing ZAP SPACY.
- Demoted to Extra: All of Rei's monsters save for Gomora get pushed to the sidelines and do little.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Reiblood Seijin, who is the entire planet and later reaches out as a planet-sized hand towards the escaping Pendragon in the finale.
- Elite Mook: Knuckle Seijin, a lesser Reionyx's kaiju Galberos creates illusions based on the memories of his foe, and sends an army of Zettons at Gomora, who even after powering up is eventually exhausted. He is the first adversary to force Rei into Reionyx Burst.
- Evil Versus Evil: The Reionyxes vs the Pedan Seijin
- Eyes Light Out: Happens to Gomora and other kaiju when they 'die'.
- Face-Heel Turn: Rei upon finding his Superpowered Evil Side at the start of the series.
- Final Boss Preview: Reiblood Seijin makes his first appearance here, and he will later become the main antagonist in The Movie.
- Fragile Speedster: Dorako initially overwhelms Eleking with his speed and flight but gets torn apart once the lightning monsters gets his hands on him.
- Finishing Move: The Super Oscillatory Ray for Gomora, the Pendragon Cannon for ZAP SPACY, flaming fists for Red King.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Memphilas Seijin is initially a pathetic Reionyx who gets his ass whooped by Temperor and his Arigera (an average monster to begin with). Then he finds Armored Darkness' sword, and proceeds to be able to kill kaiju while human sized, and casually force Gomora to Reionyx Burst Mode at full power.
- Giant Mook: All of the regular Reionyx's monsters, really
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Armored Darkness
- Heel-Face Turn: Practically all the major antagonists, starting with Dale who performs a heroic sacrifice to save the heroes.
- Grande, out of respect to his fellow Reionyx's strength and as gratitude for Rei sparing his life, fights alongside Rei against Armored Darkess and eventually they defeat him in their EX modes.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Eleking dies taking Tyrant's ear darts for the team. He will be missed
- Dale dies freeing the ZAP SPACY crew from his own empire.
- I Owe You My Life: Grande's motivation for saving Rei in the end.
- Monster of the Week: Actually subverted to a large extent, with the entire story being one plot arc and the primary villains for each episode being generally recurring ones (Grande is the 'Villain of the Week' for a fair bit of the series, as is Memphilas and the Pedan)
- Superpowered Evil Side: During Rei's Burst Mode phase, he acquired Gomora's Reionyx Burst form, whose vastly augmented powers are the manifestation of Rei's rage and hatred.
- Took a Level in Badass: Just how badass did Red King become? Generally treated as a butt monkey and a brutish, dumb, and rarely challenging foe in every Ultra series before, including the first Ultra Galaxy, under Grande's charge, Red King becomes powerful enough to give Gomora a run for his money, obliterate a King Joe Black, and fight equally alongside Reionyx Burst Gomora against Armored Darkness. Did I mention he has a Ex Mode?
- In series, Memphilas rises from a loser among Reionyxes to the Dragon of Armored Darkness powerful enough to beat the slag out of Gomora and Mikulas.
- Undying Loyalty: The monsters have this to their Reionyx masters.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: When Reimon gains the form or whenever he is in the form of Burst Mode, he is always in a rage and delights in beating the crap out of any alien or monster he sees or meets. The same applies to Gomora when he is in Reionic Burst Mode, until later on in the series when Rei learns to control himself.
- The Worf Effect: King Joe Black is unfortunately stricken with this, being fodder to show how powerful Red King is and later decimated by the hundreds by ZAP SPACY