Series: Power Rangers Time Force
"Time for Time Force!"
Season 9 of Power Rangers
, adapted from Mirai Sentai Timeranger
. In the year 3000, crime is almost a memory, as Time Force has captured almost every criminal. The only one left is the mutant Ransik. Time Force Red Ranger Alex and his squad finally manage to capture him, and Alex takes the opportunity to propose to his girlfriend and subordinate, Jen. Before they can fully realize their dreams of wedded bliss, however, Ransik's spoiled daughter, Nadira, breaks him out and Alex is apparently killed in the crossfire. Ransik and Nadira go on to take the cryogenically frozen mutants from prison and hightail it back to the year 2001, before there was a Time Force to stop them.
Taking responsibility for the fact that they got away on her watch, a brokenhearted Jen collects the morphers and her squad, and journeys a thousand years into the past to avenge her fiance. Unfortunately, Alex's DNA is needed to unlock the morphers, but there just so happens to be a ancestor of him living in Silver Hills, Washington
at the turn of the millennium. What are the odds?
Wes Collins, once convinced they're not crazy, joins the Time Force Rangers, helping them in their fight and to adjust to being so far from home. Eventually, it turns out that the future in Millennium City isn't as rosy as one would expect, and either destiny will be screwed
, or Wes will.
Easily one of the darkest seasons of Power Rangers
, it takes a lot from its Super Sentai
counterpart (despite seasons of PR
that do so normally being disliked, such as Wild Force
, this season is a rare exception). Of particular note is being the first Power Rangers series to actually acknowledge the death of a character
, though Alex gets better towards the end of the series
. Also of note is the fact that the leader of the team is the Pink Ranger, Action Girl
Jen (although because of the source footage Red is still in the forefront, with him and the Sixth Ranger
getting nearly every Limit Break
and Super Mode
through the season).
And while the acting in Power Rangers
has never been any more than serviceable, the performances from the two leads Jason Faunt and Erin Cahill (as well as several others) were actually quite strong. The darker nature of the season helps to highlight that talent with themes of lost loved ones, prejudice, revenge, new love and redemption. This is also the only Power Rangers
series, to date, to be nominated for an Emmy. It was for sound editing
, but still...a nomination is a nomination.Time Force
is well-loved and quite popular among fans , and is often regarded as one of the best seasons. Excellent performances, mature themes, a dynamic story, and unique relationships among the main characters (particular Wes and Eric) are all cited as strong points.
Succeeded by Power Rangers Wild Force
was the last season to be aired in full by Fox Kids
, which would be turning into the all-animation FOX Box
, the following year.
- Action Girl: Jen and Katie
- Advertising Only Continuity: The Big Bad, Ransik, searching for them with a Time Machine when it was the opposite way around, and the rangers constantly mentioning the evil Cyclobots as the reason they went back in time. Alongside him, a minion who is never seen in the show.
- Big Bad: Ransik
- Big Good: Captain Logan and Alex Drake.
- Broken Faceplate: How Wes's father finds out that his son is a Ranger.
- It's somewhat strange that he could tell it was Wes, considering the damage to Wes' helmet was only enough to show his eyes, not to mention Mr Collins was well over twenty feet away! Though, Eric, the future Quantum Ranger, was closer and shouted "Wes!?!". That's when Mr Collins realized.
- Also, how many parents wouldn't recognize their child just by his or her eyes?
- Chest Insignia: Time Force emblems (badges?) on the belts (in the sentai, they were the power sources for the Ranger's suits, here they do nothing), personal geometric shapes on the helmet visor and chest.
- City of Adventure: Silver Hills
- The Dragon: Co-Dragons Frax and Nadira
- Evil Plan: Ransik is a criminal motivated by hated for non-mutants, then he gets his hands on time travel technology...
- Five-Man Band: What is a Power Rangers season without one? For the record, this is the season that flipped it on its head.
- Home Base: the Clock Tower.
- Humongous Mecha
- Made of Explodium
- Mooks: Cyclobots
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Power Rangers as TIME POLICE!
- Rookie Red Ranger: Wes.
- She's a Man in Japan: For the third time in a row, and fourth overall. Katie as the Distaff Counterpart of Domon, Time Yellow.
- Cool Bike: The US-exclusive Vector Cycles and Wes' Strata Cycle
- Cool Plane: The Time Jet and Eric's TF Eagle
- Two Girls to a Team
- Weapon of Choice:
- Word Power:
This subseries contains examples of: