Similar to the Class Representative
in her concern for anything school related and like the Alpha Bitch
in how ambitious she is. This character is aggressive in her academic superiority. She will act like she's in charge and decide who gets to do what. She's no shy Bookworm
. This can be a male character but for some reason, probably because Higher Education Is for Women
, you can expect a female in the role.
They'll be found in a show that has a private school or a large cast as the one who will fight to be the best but is somehow still popular. The natural Student Council President
but not necessarily the only one. Unlike the Alpha Bitch
she is rarely glamorous and much more likely to be a friend sooner or later like the Lovable Alpha Bitch
The academic subtrope of The Perfectionist
. Compare to Insufferable Genius
. Compare and contrast also with Go-Getter Girl
Anime & Manga
- When Elle gets to Harvard Law in Legally Blonde she faces this horrible preppy girl, Vivian Kensington, who tries to make her look bad in front of the professor. Vivian is a threat to Elle because she's a smart, serious, law student.
- Taylor McKessie of High School Musical is the president of the science club at East High and a member of the school's national decathlon team. She wants Gabriella to join the team to beat their rivals in West High and be involved in nothing else.
- Overachieving high school student Tracy Flick is running unopposed for Student Council President in Election.
- Harriet Bentley in Wild Child is a very good example, being the "head girl" of the school and making Poppy's life miserable. She ends up being expelled when accidentally confessed that she was the responsible of a fire which Poppy was blamed.
Live Action TV
- Hermione Granger seemed to be shaping up to be one of these at the start of the first book, being very academically talented and rather bossy, but she mellows out considerably once she joins the True Companions. She still has elements of this in the later books, but it only comes out when she's upset and falls back on her academic superiority as a defence mechanism.
- Ethel Hallow of The Worst Witch. The narration describes her as "one of those lucky people for whom everything always goes right". She excels at all her classes but continuously rubs it in everyone's face. The TV series emphasises this by giving her only one friend in Drucilla.
- Degrassi season one has Ashley Kerwin who is popular and is glad for her unchallenged status for Student Council President. Seasons 5 has Liberty Van Zandt who becomes Student Council President and then fights to be valedictorian. Holly J. Sinclair becomes Student Council President in season nine so she could do things her way.
- The first time that Rory meets Paris Geller at Chilton Academy in Gilmore Girls, Paris tells her how she's going to be editor of the school paper and valedictorian, ending with, "You'll never catch up. You'll never beat me. This school is my domain and the Franklin is my domain. And don't you ever forget that."
- Corrine Baxter of Strange Days At Blake Holsey High has a very strong competitive streak.
- Head of the Class: Alan Pinkard is none too pleased that others in the high IQ class do as well as he does, even better sometimes. And he was really pissed that 11 year old Janice was in his high school - and more pissed that she left early to go to Harvard, which is where he wants to go. He and Darlene were neck-and-neck when it came time to declare a class valedictorian, but the school's powers that be decided to make another girl, TJ, valedictorian instead because of the challenges she'd had to overcome.
- Topanga from Boy Meets World. She even counted up her A's for the year, and insisted that her final assignment get an A, even though it wasn't for the grade, just to ensure valedictorian over Minkus.
- Taylor Townsend from The O.C. was this at first.
- Shelley Weaver, Lindsay's mathlete rival on Freaks and Geeks is definitely one of these, complete with prim and proper attitude and patronizing comments.
- Evelyn from Neds Declassified School Survival Guide.
- And to a lesser extent, Lance Widget
- Annie Kim from Community is one towards Annie Edison
- Mindy from Drake & Josh.
- Alex Dunphy of "Modern Family" is a stereotypical Alpha Academic, often fretting before examinations and sacrificing social activities to study.
- The head of the popular clique in Our Darker Purpose, Regan, a master of both social manipulation and dark magics. (Although only the latter is actually seen.)
- Weiss Schnee from Web Animation/RWBY, who is one of the protagonists.
- Cindy Vortex from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Kendall Perkins in Kick Buttowski.
- Lisa on The Simpsons prides herself on her intelligence and always coming top of the class with straight 'A's. One episode has her world collapsing when she gets her very first B; another deals with an even brighter girl joining her class, and another when she skipped a grade and was no longer the big fish in a small pond.
- Static Shock had one in Madelyne Spaulding, a stuck-up "Little Miss Perfect" type who tried running for class president but failed to gain enough supporters to get on the ballot. Her latent abilities as a Bang Baby then manifested, which allowed her to control people like puppets, or "brain puppets", and be able to read minds. She couldn't control Static's mind because of his electrical abilities, but she was able to enter his mind and learn his secret identity. Madelyne then used her powers to try and take over Dakota so she would definitely become student council president.
- Courtney from Total Drama seems to have inherited this role as of World Tour and All-Stars.