Hating Alison Ashley
is an Australian children's / young adult novel written by Robin Klein
, later turned into a movie starring Australian pop star Delta Goodrem
and a young Saskia Burmeister
Erica "Yuk" Yurken is a precocious (and slightly snotty) lower-middle class adolescent who belongs to a family she considers to be freaks and goes to what's widely considered to be the worst school in Australia. Dreaming of future stardom and considering herself on a higher level than most of her schoolmates, her parade is quite heavily rained on when new girl Alison Ashley is put in her class. Alison, from a wealthy family, is richer, prettier and more talented
and quickly gains more interest from the other students than Erica, who quickly finds herself being consumed with envy
and engaged in increasingly desperate attempts to one-up Alison, not realizing that Alison's life isn't as great as Erica thinks it is
Provides examples of:
- The Ace: Alison.
- All Girls Like Ponies: Erica's little sister Jedda.
- Always Someone Better: Provides most of the conflict.
- The Beautiful Elite: Played with; Erica thinks that Alison's one of these, but it's mostly her own jealousy blowing things out of proportion; Alison is actually genuinely nice and only wants to be Erica's friend.
- The Bully: Barry Hollis.
- Consummate Liar: Erica, full stop.
- The Ditz: Margaret "Margeart" Collins.
- Drama Queen: Erica lives and breathes this trope.
- Dysfunctional Family: What Erica believes her family is - she shares a room with a sister that thinks she's a horse, has an older goth sister and a deadbeat brother to just name a few. To Erica, they are this trope; to everyone else in the family, they are merely a Quirky Household.
- Fail O'Suckyname: Erica Yurken.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Erica is consumed by this towards Alison.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Erica again.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation / Friendless Background: Both Erica and Alison.
- Jerkass: Erica is not a pleasant person. She gets better.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Although Erica's too blind to see it, Alison's home life really isn't that great.
- Lower-Class Lout: Many examples.
- Most Writers Are Writers: At the end of the book, Erica has come to realise that her talent is writing, not acting.
- Performance Anxiety: Erica believes she's a talented actress, but when it comes to actually performing in front of people at the school camp, she chokes and is unable to do it.
- Pyro Maniac: Barry Hollis.
- Proper Lady: Alison.
- Really Gets Around: Implied with Erica's older sister Valjoy.
- Save Our Students: Played for laughs; Erica's teacher, a new, young, inexperienced teacher gets put in charge of Erica's class, one of the rowdiest in the school, and much to everyone's astonishment manages to turn them around. It's not because she inspires them, however; it's because her surly, sarcastic manner and refusal to take any bullshit from any of the little bastards she's put in charge of ends up with everyone terrified of her.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Erica.
- Spoiled Sweet: Alison. See The Beautiful Elite above.
- Sucky School: Erica's school is widely considered one of the worst in Australia.
- Unreliable Narrator: Erica, as well as misjudging Alison, tends to overestimate her own wit and popularity.
- Verbing Nouny: The title.