As PWS Bombshells Champion and Ring Warriors Battling Bombshells Champion
Born in Dorado on Borinquen and hailing from San Juan, Nilka Garcia swam at the Puerto Rican Naval base, performed at PR & El Show del Medio Dia as a dancer, got roles on El Casco de San Juan and El Show de Sunshine Logroño as an actress, and served as a trainer for Body Fit Concept on Canal 7 Tele Isla and The Spot in West Park Florida. She's also trained in boxing, mixed martial arts, and professional wrestling with El Profe and Tommy Diablo.
As far as professional wrestling goes, she also got training from Pablo Márquez and debuted in 2003 as Black Rose, managing clientele ranging from Street Fugitives to the affluent Huracan Castillo Jr in WWC, New Revolution Wrestling Lucha Libre and other organizations that became tied to the World Wrestling League. She also wrestled, capturing WWC's women's title three times. When not there, Black Rose spent her time in the International Wrestling Association, the largest Puerto Rican promotion not connected to the WWL.
La Rosa Negra got noticed in the continental USA in former NWA
, member Ring Warriors where she was the first to hold their Battling Bombshells Championship and represented them with it in various Canadian, Dominican and Bolivian promotions. She also won the Pro Wrestling Syndicate Bombshells title and later became the first holder of the PWS Bombshells Majestic Championship. She's also popped up in SHINE, supported by local Florida boxer Noemi Bosques.
She is not to be confused with the masked Rosa Negra of CMLL
nor The Black Rose Nikki Adams, who also worked for the PWS and wrestled at some of the same Valkyrie Women's Wrestling events she has.
Rompe abusadora, con tropes batidora!
- Arch-Enemy: La Amazona and her replacement tag team partner, Leandra.
- Aside Glance: Given how many themes La Rosa Negra has been associated with, these were the kinds of responses she had whenever Ring Warriors managed to play a theme she never had before or was adverse to during her entrances or victories.
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: Besides her Puerto Rican flag bandana, she also started wearing a black Bandana around her leg in mid 2014 till Leva Bates stole it (Leva's gimmick involves dressing as others and imitating them, though it's doubtful Rosa was flattered)
- Bash Brothers: With Los Compadres, El Bronco #1 and Rico Suave as well as their other valet, Destiny. With Los Fugitivos de la Calle, Niche and Lynx in WWC (but not in IWA). Also Sensacional Carlitos (not that one, the one who married Sweet Nancy)
- Braids of Action: She sometimes wrestled in cornrows.
- Cameo: Even when not under contract with WWC, Black Rose could sometimes be seen in the crowd cheering on El Bronco #1
- Cheap Heat: Took a fan's Angel Rose sign at a U Know Pro event and ripped it in two.
- Christmas Episode: In 2006, Black Rose participated in two Christmas shows for IWA (neither actually on the date but both were called Christmas in Puerto Rico). La Rosa Negra gave out candy canes and presents to the children in attendance during the last Ring Warriors show under the NWA banner.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: When Black Rose was pantsed while trying to escape from La Bella Carmen and Fantasy
- Cooking Duel: Black Rose did not just strive to be a better wrestler than Barbie Boy, but also to outdo him in the art of dance. Sojourner Bolt coxed her into a dance off at SHINE… and then took La Rosa Negra by the hair while her back was turned. "Portugal's Perfect Athlete" Shanna is good at what she does, but when she tries to out do La Rosa in things beside wrestling, she doesn't live up to her moniker.
- Cosplay: At Animate Miami 2013, she wrestled as Storm alongside Tommy Vandal as Mario against Angel Rose as Electra and Johnny Vandal as the Terrorist.
- Crowd Chant: When barked at by U Know Pro's crowds she barked back, but didn't take kindly to "She's a hood rat!" Barks went on to become a pro La Rosa "chant".
- Cute Bruiser: Black Rose might have a tendency to cartwheel to ring (and sometimes Spin-A-Roonie), but once she's in it she relies on forearms, elbows, clotheslines and fireman’s carries. This makes it somewhat easy to forget she can deal out combinations of kicks or hit La Quebrada in a pinch.
- Dance Sensation: Lead many friends and fans in the Harlem Shake when WOW was in Puerto Rico. Shawn Prime led an attack to prevent her from doing the same in Future Of Wrestling.
- Do with Him as You Will: Her loss of the Battling Bombshell's title was recognized even after referee Bruce Ownens admitted to missing Sienna Duvall grabbing La Rosa Negra's tights during the pin. Then FOW's crowd cheered her on as she threatened to punch out referee Fernando Jiminez after Sienna Duvall hit Rosa with a chair and he would not allow Rosa to strike back with it. Turned out there was some confusion, as it wasn't illegal to use chairs in FOW, who hosted the event but was in Ring Warriors. So Ring Warriors gave the two a street fight at their Bahamas show.
- Eloquent In My Native Tongue: She and contemporary WWC migrants to the 50 States were teased for their limited grasp of English as they tried to establish themselves. While La Morena and La Amazona could effectively shut this down, it was practically a running gag amongst La Rosa Negra's opponents, even fellow Puerto Rican Niya Barela.
- Enemy Mine
- With Génesis and the Colóns when New Wrestling Stars and New Empire invaded WWC.
- A shaky case with La Morena, whose intent to take revenge on Killer Kat and Debbie Ross lead to an alliance with Black Rose. After running off the latter two from Black Rose with a folding chair she almost looked tempted to hit her too and Rose seemed to fear it, but they lasted until forced against each other.
- Invoked at FOW, where La Amazona was punished for an earlier attack on La Rosa Negra by having Lelani Kai referee their title match, based on the fact Amazona had already lost to Kai at a Ring Warriors event.
- Evil Counterpart
- To Sumie Sakai in PWS. Smaller than average veterans from islands where not much English is spoken, who tend to stretch the rules to their limits yet are also eager for audience approval. Both provide copious amounts of fan service as if it were second nature and even use many of the same moves, albeit in different ways. The big difference was PWS crowds finding Sakai funny, but not La Rosa Negra.
- She and Amazing Kong were temporarily setup as such to Backseat Girlz in PWS. Annie Social being another smallish wrestler just as well known for managerial duty and The Amazing one called in specifically to keep Missy Sampson away from La Rosa Negra.
- Face Palm: A double palmed one during a March 2013 tag match, which was more out of anguish than annoyance or frustration, after a worn down Sweet Nancy tried to roll away from a top turnbuckle splash from Leandra but got hit anyway.
- Fighting Your Friend: She pitted a reluctant Niche against Lynx at WWC's 2011 EUFORIA Tour and then ordered him to keep attacking his former partner after Niche lost the match.
- Finishing Move: Makes use of the rarely seen leg cradle. Rare for cradles themselves, she uses it as a submission rather than a pin, but it makes sense once you see it. More commonly, La Rosa Negra uses a frog splash (sometimes called the Rose or Scorpion Splash after her tattoo). Did a 180 frog splash ala Ryusuke Taguchi in IWA.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Black Rose used to be a fierce rival of Sweet Nancy’s, but a common enemy in Amazona lead to a lasting friendship.
- Funny Background Event: During her matches with Santana Garrett, La Rora Negra's manager Rihanna Alli could be seen arguing with or chasing Fabulous Frank, at one point even pacing back and forth with Rosa Negra's Battling Bombshells Championship as if she was the title holder. (Frank was trying to steal the belt)
- Gimmick Matches: To name a few, Black Rose beat Sexy Juliette in an NWS mud pool match and then had to wrestle José Chaparro right after it. NWS also gave her a hardcore rules match with Demonique, IWA gave her one with Amazona, along with Liberation and Lumberjack matches. WWC gave her a steel cage match with Génesis and a street fight with La Bella Carmen. U Know Pro, a triple threat steel cage with Didi Cruz and Angel Rose.
- Girlish Pigtails: Sometimes wrestled with them in NWS and WWC. She wore braided pigtails while refereeing Tom Danniels vs Amazona at NRW Lucha Libre.
- Glass Jaw Referee: Started exploiting the trope against particularly tough challengers to her PWS belts, such as Cheerleader Melissa. Mickie James being the ref at Homecoming Havoc made it more difficult.
- Groin Attack: Played like she was going to let Jorge Alonso bump and grind but then rammed her butt into his crotch, causing him to double over and be mocked by a passing fan. At times she's also substituted her signature gut elbow for a head drop to the crotch.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Started out as a tweener in the NWA, both by her actions (alternating between doing things to please the crowd and loudly disapproving of them) and audiences responses (some crowds were overwhelming in favor of her, others were dead silent). She gradually became a beloved baby face. Then heel heat from her PWS title win started to spill into the NWA but responses to her gradually became positive again, while remaining negative in PWS, BMW and UKnowPro. Stayed face in SHINE.
- Humiliating Wager: Beat La Morena and Debbie Ross in a triple threat bra and panties match during WWC Honor vs. Traicion 2010. Black Rose and La Morena almost immediately stripped Ross and spent most of the match beating her up before Black Rose finally stripped Morena.
- I Can Still Fight: Her request for SHINE 24 match were repeatedly denied after displaying "Concussion like symptoms" due to multiple brass knuckle strikes from Taylor Made.
- Ignored Enemy: NRW Lucha Libre Champion Queen Adonis took exception to La Amazona and Black Rose ignoring him to fight each other. They eventually did grant his wish and fight him though.
- Insufferable Genius: La Rosa Negra's more like an Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy but she provided a quote regarding Ring Warriors February Fury while on Reality Check of Caged Heat radio to Jorge Alonso that pretty much embodies the trope
"No worries I respect all opinions, I respect whatever peoples say. So pero, I show you, you's wrong!"
- It's Personal
- Even after Black Rose's face turn, La Amazona had since turned the other way and specifically set out to hurt Génesis worse than Black Rose had. The most progress made was getting them to do smiling promotional stuff for Ring Warriors together, where Amazona even celebrated at Bombshells and Jingle Bells when La Rosa Negra pinned Kacee Carlise but Amazona was ganging up on La Rosa Negra with Melissa Coates after the New Year rolled around.
- La Rosa Negra really doesn't like Sienna Duvall, whom she feels has no respect for her people or culture. The Diva Beater Duvall in turn resents that La Rosa Negra has body building and fitness competition background (read: “modeling”).
- La Rosa Negra takes offense to Amber Rodriguez calling herself a Boricua princess, insisting Rodriguez is not even from Puerto Rico. Also, Rodriguez tried to steal her Ring Warriors title belt. La Rosa takes it so personally she's even (temporarily) teamed up with Duvall against Rodriguez and threw in her lot with the Backseat Girlz when Rodriguez's group, Strength In Numbers, offered her membership.
- Despite seeing what the group was all about at SHINE 18, she addressed returning Valkyrie member Taylor Made professionally before SHINE 21. At the event, the usual happened and La Rosa Negra took it personally.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: If the description up there did not give you an idea, know that’s the short list regarding Black Rose’s history in athletics and performance arts.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Has as much to say about her happy looking promo photos. In the ring, "is other stuff".
- Little Black Dress: She has wrestled in one, and it does serve a practical purpose for a Puerto Rican wrestler. Blood stains don't show up well on black.
- The Napoleon: La Rosa Negra was visibly annoyed when could not reach Taeler Hendrix's hands for a test of strength challenge while defending the PWS Majestic title.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Earned her Red Baron, La Abusadora, by mercilessly beating people and breaking La Morena's ankle with a chair. On the flip side, Sweet Nancy, La Morena and Killer Kat(My Friends... and Zoidberg sometimes Barbie Boy helped]]) had been hell bent on removing Black Rose and La Amazona from the IWA roster. The numbers advantage proved insurmountable and the two were on the wrong end of many until they got more help.
- Nothing Personal: Her interactions with Kacee Carlise were impassioned but mostly professional. La Rosa Negra had no interest in Melissa Coates's grudge (from Rose's 2010 WWC heel run) and teamed with Coates in when they "reunited" in Vendetta Pro Wrestling.
- Oddly Small Organization: Los Abusadores Internacional (Ejecutivo Jorge Estrella y Secretaria Personal Debbie)
- One Steve Limit
- La Rosa Negra competed for Valkyrie Women's Wrestling in New York while opposing a power stable called Valkyrie in SHINE. That's an expected consequence of working for different promotions but on the first Valkyrie show she pinned two wrestlers that make up S.I.N. and the first two Valkyrie members to cross her were also members of Valkyrie's sub group, Made In Sin.
- Two of her largest opponents in the NWA are both named Andrea. Andrea Mother she can wrestle well against, Andrea The Giant she doesn't do so well against.
- Patriotic Fervor: While Black Rose was known for managing two groups of Puerto Rican hating Dominicans, after working off the island La Rosa Negra found that she was very proud to be a Boricua. She wore "I love Puerto Rico!" on her backside when she returned for WWL Insurrection.
- Pint Sized Power House: Black Rose was often the shortest person on the WWC roster, even when Juliette was on it. She's also been seen running around with the larger La Morena and Didi Cruz on one shoulder, startled Amber O'Neal by simply standing up and carrying her while locked in submission holds and is capable of doing the same to the over six foot Andrea Mother. Height aside, 130 lbs is just 2 short of heavyweight (60 kg) and she's capable of meeting it if need be.
- Power Stable: The Dominican Revolution with Bacano, Bravo and Shaka The Trucker.
- Product Placement: La Rosa Negra's attempted response to upstart Amber Rodriguez's trash talk in English did not go so well, leading Amber waving a box of Eggo Waffles at the camera and Rosa on Google looking up how to pronounce ego.
- Real Song Theme Tune: The following list is not even all of them
- In WWC and NRW Lucha Libre: Culo by Pitbull
- In WWC My Hips Don't Lie by Shakira, Abusadora by Wisin y Yandel
- In NWA FUW: Gasolina Daddy Yankee, a theme formerly used by Génesis
- In NWA and PWS: La Batidora and La Batidora 2 by Yaga and Makie. In FOW she has the 2007 La reunion remix of La Batidora, which is more fitting than the original given she usually gets a hero’s welcome in FOW.
- Retcon: La Rosa Negra's second shot at NWA World Women's Champion Kacee Carlisle suddenly became La Rosa Negra defending her own Ring Warriors Battling Bombshells Championship, which was now “the most important title in the wrestling”. This was because Ring Warriors was breaking away from the NWA. It was pretty clear they were not especially eager to, La Rosa Negra would still call Kacee Carlisle the best wrestler in the world in future promos, despite retaining the Battling Bombshell's belt clean.
- The Rival
- Lady Demonique and Génesis were Black Rose's main rivals during her first WWC champion run, Demonique putting Génesis and Rose on the same page for awhile. After finally getting the better of Demonique, Debbie Ross and Killer Kat were in her next two runs.
- La Morena has been a consistent one most of her career. Black Rose had been associated with Dominicans but was teaming with La Zona Illegal when Morena valeted for The Dominican Revolution. Despite the usually opposition they did trust each other's words at face value.
- “Queen Of Philly” Sienna Duvall was probably her first outside of the Caribbean, though they will fight anywhere.
- Traveling the world and still failing to win a championship, Mia Yim came back to USA with resolve to take one of La Rosa Negra's. Yim failed in this quest but managed to spoil La Rosa Negra's attempt to become a Triple Crown Florida Champion by beating her out to be the first NWA Florida Women’s Champion and then successfully defending the belt against La Rosa.
- Sexy Juliette The Huntress/The Anti Diva Sofia Cortez/Ivelisse Vélez has been both bitter enemy and teammate. To a lesser extent she has the same relations with Su Yung, who she generally likes but happened to go off the deep end and join Valkyrie.
- Sanity Slippage: After continued appearance for Ring Warriors Online with La Amazona, her smiles started to get disturbing. Also seemed just a little too happy about fighting Angel Rose.
- Sassy Black Woman: She and Destiny were described as such when managing Los Compadres. Also when with WWC Tag Champions Los Fugitivos and after PWS BLOW 4, she really came off like one.
- Shaking the Rump: La Rosa Negra usually does so during her ring entrances, sometimes even during her multiple alternating splits entrance, which Sienna Duvall and Mia Yim have made frequent note of.
Mia Yim: "We can't have that! Its rated G up in here!"
- Signature Move: Short armed power slam, diving back elbow out of the corner or a slingshot elbow drop to gut of someone against the bottom turnbuckle. Over the shoulder or elevated cradle turnbuckle ram, the latter sometimes dropped into a face buster. Also, the Boston Crab.
- Spicy Latina: Black Rose is easy going, but she's also really easy to set off.
- Suck My Rose: Black Rose is often seen carrying black roses in her teeth. (Presumably, she does not mind a mouth full of thorns)
- Sword Limbo: Black Rose's instinctive counter to the Amazona Kick was to lean back to the mat, push off with one arm and throw an elbow with the other. Leg limbo?
- Theatrics Of Pain: Usually shakes off most offense before long, when something sticks, the way she moves will change entirely (but doesn't stop). The rudimentary covers during her WWC Septembre Negro title defense against Serena Deeb and labored steps following Shanna's goal at SHINE 20 are two examples .
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Amber Rodriguez had acquired the services of Rico Casanova, who knew La Rosa Negra's repertoire inside out. Rosa Negra countered this by training with Kevin Sullivan.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Started to turn face after the second Pro Wrestling Syndicate show but then suddenly became a real ass. This was later revealed to be a result of Vinny Fenucci's favoritism going to her head.
- Tournament Arc: Was a finalist in the International Joshi Grand Prix, where she lost to Sumie Sakai. She won the PWS Majestic 12 by outlasting Mia Yim and Jessie Kaye.
- Training Montage: Besides doing several for The Spot (or at The Spot for shows), she also interrupted one of radio host Jorge Alonso's (who was training to beat her up)
- Underestimating Badassery: While feuding with Sienna Duvall over the Battling Bombshells Championship, La Rosa Negra had little to say to or about Su Yung (Duvall of course had a lot to say, because Yung trained in revived FCW, making her a "diva"). Then La Rosa Negra pinned Su Yung in an almost casual manner when they first squared off, talking trash to a downed Duvall the entire time. Then in a later contest, Su Yung dropped La Rosa Negra on her head and sent her to the hospital, a threat Sienna Duvall had long been making but failing to follow through with.note
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Even if you can't hear what she says, her body language often tells quite enough. Take when La Rosa Negra revealed how she leg cradles in PWS, she didn't just hold on longer than necessary, she started doing pushups while Angelina Love was tapping out.
- Ugly Hero, Good-Looking Villain: Vinny Fenucci, AKA Vinny Vice, made her the villain by hand picking La Rosa Negra to be face of the PWS Bombshells division and proclaiming Missy Sampson too ugly to be on his roster.
- Use Your Head: Has resorted to head butts, such as a desperate attempt to escape from Sienna Duvall's straight jacket or out of frustration with Mia Yim. La Rosa Negra usually does not strike head to head when doing so, she's nowhere near as hardheaded as Christina Von Eerie, Santana Garret, Thunderkitty, ect.
- We Used to Be Friends
- She and Amazona were tag team partners in IWA. Amazona even took several beatings from Sweet Nancy, Killer Kat and Morena trying to stop their continued efforts to injure Black Rose. But Black Rose became envious when Amazona won IWA's title and they haven't been right since.
- La Rosa Negra used to help train and promote Dynamite Didi Cruz at The Spot. This time drama over Rosa's title belt killed the friendship. Didi made an effort to keep it professional and stay friends at Boricua's Most Wanted but Rosa was having none of it. Didi seemed to be repairing the relationship at U Know Pro until she accidentally hit La Rosa with a spear.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: While wrestling outside of Puerto Rico, she often wears the flag on her head and everywhere else she is clothed.