Shaking the Rump
This is the trope where a character moves their buttocks around, which can be used for many purposes - sexual arousal, cockiness, or celebration. Firstly, a character is doing this to arouse another character (note that when a male does this for this particular reason, it's quite jarring, which is why female examples of this are commonly intriguing, especially if the female is the Ms. Fanservice). Secondly, a character does this as a way of being cocky towards another character, particularly when annoying or taunting him. Thirdly, a character does this as a part of celebrating their success or achievements, although the second and third variant can overlap if winning means the character is arrogant enough to rub it in on other competitors. Compare Belly Dancer. Taking this trope too far would be Mooning, of course is rather gross when a male does it, but not a female. Related to Sexy Walk.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- From Pokémon, Jynx's Pokedex entry says it wiggles its hips seductively and sometimes induces people to dance.
- From Soul Eater, Kim does this in order to turn it into a portal to another world in Chapter 98, using the motion of her butt to spell out the kana for the word "Majou" (witch). She's not particularly thrilled to have to do this, as apparently the witch in charge of setting up the portal had a rather twisted sense of humor.
- Everyone in the opening theme of Galaxy Angel Rune.
- Kazumi is implied to be doing this on the cover of the 12th manga volume of Negima.
- The opening sequence of Potemayo starts with Potemayo herself shaking her butt, followed by the rest of the main cast in the background.
- Parodied in Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel where The Chipettes shook their tails.
- Grace Jones in Conan the Destroyer shakes her rear end after emerging from water, to shed droplets from the furry tail that hangs at the back of her "tribal warrior-woman" costume.
- A subversion occurs in the indie comedy from the 90's, Friends and Lovers. Alison Eastwood (yes, the daughter of Clint Eastwood) combines this with Sexy Coat Flashing as she reveals her *ahem* assets and shakes them for her lover.
- In The Eiger Sanction, Clint Eastwood's character turns down sexual bribery from a student worried about her grade, telling her to "go home and study your ass off" instead. As she walks off in a snit we get a Male Gaze look at her rear, causing Clint to say, "Don't study it all off."
- And in Thunderbolt And Lightfoot, Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges check out the behind of a short-skirted waitress as she walks away after taking their order. Jeff declares it "poetry in motion." Ah, The Seventies...
- In the portion of Not Another Teen Movie parodying Bring It On, the (white) cheerleaders do some serious rumpshaking:
We're black, we know it, we shake our big booties and show it, we ain't white, we ain't white, we definitely ain't white. Break it down niggas!
- Chloe does this in front of Beca as she walks away in one scene of Pitch Perfect, which explains the former's ambiguously bisexual lifestyle.
- The first Shrek movie has Dragon shaking her rear end while Donkey is singing Baby Got Back in the Shrek Karaoke Dance Party.
- In Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Felicity Shagwell shakes her rear for Austin during their first encounter, in an attempt to seduce him.
- Carry On Spying. Our heroes are taken to the villain's Elaborate Underground Base, which is full of catsuited females bustling about.
Villain: This is our headquarters.
Hero: Looks more like hindquarters to me!
- This will surely pop up in many Hip Hop music videos if the songs focus on that certain body part.
- While you won't see it in every single music video clip of hers, it's Shakira's stock in trade.
- Heavily parodied by French comedian Michaël Youn, under his fake rapper persona "Fatal Bazooka", in the clip J'aime Trop Ton Boule (Shake Ton Booty)".
- Deputy Chief Johnson of The Closer (s4e2) gets carried away while leaving a flirty phone message for her cohab Fritz.
- In That '70s Show, Eric is upset that Donna mooning Jackie during a school event made it into the yearbook. Donna's response is to shake her ass during their "circle." The Stinger involves everybody engaging at this as they shake it at the camera.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Averted by Harmony when she breaks up with Spike, saying that the only thing Spike will see of her from now on is her ass walking away — unwilling to give him even that pleasant sight, she decides to back away instead.
- Cordelia is jealous of the way Xander is obsessed with Buffy. Xander says he's just watching Buffy's back, which Cordelia turns round on him by claiming Xander is always checking out Buffy's butt. When Xander denies this, she says, "Fine, watch my back" and walks off. Xander obediently checks out her behind.
- When Wesley first meets Cordelia, he notes that she's quite "cheeky" after watching her walk away from him.
- Done in the Orange Is The New Black episode "Fucksgiving", where Piper and Alex happily shake their butts to "Milkshake" at Taystee's goodbye party, even grinding on each other towards the end. As it occurs late in Season 1, it's one of the signs of Piper putting aside her distrust of Alex and rediscovering her feelings for her.
- The X-Files. In "First-Person Shooter" an entire police precinct is having a Hello, Nurse! reaction to Ms. Fanservice stripper Jade Blue Afterglow, including Mulder. As she leaves the interrogation room, Mulder leans sideways out of his chair to check out her ass as she walks down the corridor. An amused Scully leans sideways in unison, to block his view.
- Rikishi did this frequently. This is the first of many reasons why his Face-Heel Turn was an utter failure. Its hard for people to buy you as a "bad man" when even your titan tron clips feature your ass prominently.
- The reason Pitbull's Culo and Shakira's My Hips Don't Lie used to be used during Black Rose's entrances; she always does this.
- In WWE Taboo Tuesday 2004, Trish Stratus does this cockily after retaining the Women's Championship in the Fulfill Your Fantasy Battle Royal.
- TNA's Velvet Sky always does it in her entrances, especially between the apron. As Taz would say "Let the pigeons loose!" When entering the ring during the 2012 WWC Anniversario, Melina Perez mimed smelling something terrible, which caused Velvet to go back to the second rope and keep shaking her rump over it until Melina spanked her.
- The phrase "There's nothing wrong with showing off if you can back it up." took on new meaning thanks to Dolph Ziggler's gyration.
- Radiant Rain did so when Homicide called out the WSU roster for a challenge (he wanted to be in Queen and King Of The Ring), which generated giggles even from Jessicka Havok.
- Ryusuke Taguchi had a tendency to taunt his opponents by shaking his money maker in New Japan Pro Wrestling, something his rival Low Ki would eventually turn back on him.
- Taya Valkyrie of Los Perros Del Mal is prone to doing so, in annoyance to some of her more "serious" stablemates.
- WWE: This is one of Eve Torres' signature moves. She pops her butt up and down in a squatted position right before performing a moonsault on her opponent. In WWE '13, this is called the "Booty Popping Moonsault".
- At TNA's Genesis Pay Per View, rather than brag about how well Bad Influence would wrestle or how badly they would beat their opponents, Christopher Daniels decided to return the company's roots and promised to shake his rump.
- Seleziya Sparx has been known to bounce her butt while making an entrance, as well as on people's heads.
- Initially subverted at Vintage End Of The Line Where Brittney Savage tried "twerking" but ended up falling on her butt while trying to pop it. Aforementioned La Rosa Negra was there to play it straight though.
- "Portugal's Perfect Athlete" Shanna took to "twerking" after it became a dirty word to much of America, following a certain someone's performance.(and resolved to kicking La Rosa Negra's "derriere" when she proved "better" at it).
- Jaider Lee, to the delight of many fans attending New Xtreme Order's shows.
- This has become a sort of signature trait for Wario, who will often shake or slap his butt as a taunt or victory pose. One of his taunts in Super Smash Bros. has him mockingly shaking his rump at the camera.
- One of Daxter's various dance animations when he and Jak find a Power Cell is to shake his butt at the camera. Comically, the sound of a cowbell can be heard in tune with his shaking.
- Koala Kong in the original Crash Bandicoot game does during his boss battle, either to taunt Crash or to show off his assets.
- In The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures, this was done by some of the women in the "Beat It and Eat It" level.
- In Brain Dead 13, the resident Ms. Fanservice Vampiress Vivi does this often, either walking or standing. To really drive the point home, there's a brief sequence where the camera is focused on her behind as she moves, complete with punny sentence.
- The Huntress from Dungeon Defenders does a butt-shaking dance which is one of the qualities that goes well with her status as the game's Ms. Fanservice.
- In Heavy Rain, Madison does this when Paco forces her to strip at gunpoint. She does it to distract him so that she can club him with a lamp, though.
- Vanessa Z. Schneider from P.N.03 does this while firing automatic blasts. It doesn't help she's a Dance Battler.
- In Team Fortress 2, if the Demoman taunts while holding the Scottish Resistance, he turns around and shakes his posterior while squeaking noises are heard.
- Players can also abuse animation quirks to have the Sniper to a rump-shake/hip thrust by repeatedly squatting and zooming in on the sniper rifle at the same time.
- This is one of Anna Williams from Tekken taunts towards an enemy, not to mention this also goes along with her butt attack in Tekken 6.
- When holding down on the d-pad in Shantae, the titular character shakes her derrière in a rather suggestive manner.
- The Neurotically Yours episode "The Jiggly Butt" has Germaine shaking her butt, watching it jiggle to see if she gained weight and she does it again happily after Foamy encouraged her to be proud of being a Fat Bastard. Foamy soon regrets this and wonders who wrote this episode.
- On Homestar Runner, Homestar's character video ends with him randomly doing a "butt-dance". He later interrupts the ending of the Strong Bad Email "bottom 10" to do another one.
Homestar: Butt-dance again, like the rhythm's down your pants, now!
- One scene from the "Bad Little Boy" episode from Adventure Time has Cake morphing her body into a voluptuous one and proceeds to shake her butt at the camera for a couple of seconds during Marshall Lee's song.
- The Boondocks:
- In the episode "The S Word", Granddad tells Huey how "traumatized" Riley is for being called a "nigga" by a third-grade teacher, but what Riley is doing is what Huey believes to be the "celebratory booty dance" due to the fact Granddad will sue the teacher for restitution.
- One of the show's strips ends with "a black woman's gyrating rear end", as a comment on the quality of television entertainment.
- In the The Fairly OddParents episode "Smarty Pants", A.J. mocks Timmy by doing this after receiving yet another A+, and after wishing to be the smartest kid in the world, Timmy does this in front of A.J. in return after teaching the class about the Alamo and the state of Texas, in which he receives an A+ for it.
- In one episode of Family Guy, Peter does it as a part of his goofy impression of Winston Churchill, much to the annoyance of Lois and the other flight attendance.
- Everyone at a beach party that Quagmire brings Chris to. There's even a close-up of one woman's bikini butt during the number.
- King Julien in Madagascar and its spin-off cartoon, The Penguins of Madagascar shakes his "royal booty" a lot.
- From the season 2 finale of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, this is part of Twilight Sparkle and Cadence's Secret Handshake involving with both ponies shaking their rumps together. The season 4 episode "Filli Vanilli" sees Fluttershy do this a few times, dancing along with the music she's singing.And in Equestria Girls, we see that Human Rarity is quite fond of this dance.
- An unintentional example comes from Phineas and Ferb in where Candice shakes her rear all because she has squirrels in her pants.
- There's also one episode where the Fireside Girls did this in which they call it the "Waggle Dance".
- Sabrina: The Animated Series: In the episode "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" Quigley does it when he's trying to adjust his camera to take a picture of his plant.
- In an episode of The Simpsons, Homer walks in on Lisa doing a sexy butt shake and is about to yell at her about it, but then sees the girls on TV doing the exact same thing, which Lisa was copying.
- Spongebob Squarepants: Squidward does it on a few occasions in a way to mock Spongebob's mishaps. "Christmas Who?" and "Club Spongebob" are common examples.
- Spongebob also does it to Sandy when he wants her to chase him to the Krusty Krab in "Texas".
- In the Steven Universe episode "Giant Woman", Amethyst does this during her Fusion Dance with Pearl.
- The Sym-Bionic Titan episode "Lessons In Love" has the infamous "Booty Quake" scene where Kimmy tries to get Octu's help for her test by doing a enticing dance, which can be found here.
- In the Teen Titans Go! episode "Legs", Starfire does this in front of Raven, who isn't that keen on joining along to dance with the other Titans. However, Raven, whose cloak was taken away from Robin, does a little hip shaking after renaming herself "Lady Legasus", and later when all of the Titans are dancing again.
- In "Nose Mouth", Cyborg does this which is part of the "You were wrong" dance to Raven, who stated that using her dark magic to stop Robin from disturbing people's sleep can cause some issues.
- Many dances involve shaking one's butt in a provocative or enticing manner.
- "Twerking" is a phenomenon that started in urban and African-American communities that involves taking a squatted (or any other posterior-emphasizing) position and twisting the buttocks up and down. On a butt that is sufficiently round or chubby, it will wobble up and down. The appeal is both in how much flesh moves and how fast, and in fantasizing about those same hip movements during sex.
- Some bird-of-paradise species use rump-shaking as a component of their elaborate courtship dances.
- Many "rump shaking" dances are actually based on or inspired by various dances native to African countries and tribes. While such dances may be considered vulgar or sexual in certain Westernized or conservative societies, they are culturally significant to the natives who practice them and are performed for celebratory purposes (i.e., engagements, weddings, new births, etc.)
- Some Welsh Corgis do not have tails, so instead they wag their whole butt.