Video Game: Project Spark
Announced during Microsoft's E3 2013 press event, Project Spark
is a Game Maker
designed by Team Dakota for the Xbox One
, Xbox 360
, and PC.
Project Spark as a whole provides examples of these Tropes:
- Alien Sky: Aside from other Floating Continents, the sky is filled with glittering currents, particularly around the sun, and the Well of Creation can be seen in the night sky.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: You're perfectly capable of giving all of your characters bizarre skin-and-hair coloration.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Your creatures can have any colors you please.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Leveling up champions changes their outfit at certain levels and unlocks additional pieces for characters in creation mode.
- Archer Archetype: Scarlett is a skilled ranger who prefers working alone.
- The Berserker: Karlsnor normally isn't this, but when he's in his Berzerker mode, he's all about battling.
- Call a Smeerp a "Rabbit": Several animals look very different than what their names might suggest. The Arctic Fox, for example, seems to have some turkey in its ancestry.
- Caltrops: One of Scarlett's attacks drops some explosive caltrops in front of her. Leveling up gives her the ability to gather the caltrops with charged attacks for additional effects.
- Charged Attack: Scarlett can charge her arrows for more damage, and with level ups also gathers any caltrops she's dropped for even more damage.
- The Corruption: The Void, primarily featured in "Champions' Quest: Void Storm", is a force which warps the environment and creatures it touches into a twisted version of itself.
- Crossover: Conker will appear in this game.
- Downloadable Content: New content packs are rolled out occasionally. Most of the time, they're creation parts, but they can include new champions as well.
- Energy Beings: The Spark and the Well of Creation.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: The Zombie Invasion resource pack.
- Excuse Plot: The premise of the creation mode. You are a Reality-Warping sphere of light that has been commanded by a Sentient Cosmic Force to create new worlds. That's pretty much it.
- Flavor Text: The resources in the marketplace tend to have short descriptions that shed a bit of light on the nature of the setting and its inhabitants.
- Game Maker: The main draw of Project Spark
- The Hero: The Champions are chosen based on these qualities. No matter what the situation, you can always count on them to do good.
- Jack of All Stats: Haakon is this among the champions, possessing close-range, long-range, and defensive abilities.
- Life Drain: One of Karlsnor's level-up abilities is to drain health with his attacks when he's in Berzerker mode.
- Limit Break: Karlsnor has a rage meter, and when it's filled up, he goes into Berzerker mode.
- The Lost Woods: A place called Creep Woods is referred to a few times in the Flavor Text. It's generally regarded with supernatural dread, and is implied to be the source of the zombies.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: One of Haakon's main abilities. He can block attacks with it and with level ups use it in offensive moves.
- Our Goblins Are Different: There are two goblin entities, and Crossroads features a goblin hero.
- Play Every Day: There are daily and weekly challenges that are your main source of currency and experience.
- Player Character: You can have just about any entity in your world be playable (even a rock), but Word of God states the true player character is the Spark, which serves as the medium for your world-crafting.
- Reality Warper: The Spark, and by extension the player, is capable of shaping the landscape and populating it with living creatures with almost no effort at all.
- Scenery Porn: One of many qualities being promoted is how easy it is to create breathtaking scenery. The intro movie in particular is full of it.
- Super Mode: Karlsnor's Berzerker state, which increases his damage and eventually lets him drain health while it's active.
- Sentient Cosmic Force: The Well of Creation.