Video Game: Project Snowblind
Project: Snowblind is a First-Person Shooter game for the PS2, Xbox and PC, developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Eidos Interactive in 2004. It was originally going to be the third game in the Deus Ex series, Deus Ex: Clan Wars but when Deus Ex: Invisible War didn't fare well with its release, it was decided that Clan Wars should be a Spiritual Successor to Deus Ex, set in its own universe. The game shares Deus Ex's First-Person Shooter gameplay and Twenty Minutes into the Future setting but lacks the Stealth-Based Game and RPG Elements.In 2065, Hong Kong is attacked by a force known as The Republic led by Yan Lo, a rogue Chinese general. The Liberty Coalition, an international peacekeeping force, respond to this, and 2nd Lieutenant Nathan Frost is injured in battle. To save his life, the Coalition use experimental nanotechnology, making him a 'Scarecrow', granting him nano-tech-based abilities, Augmentations. With his new powers, it's up to Frost and his force to stop Yan Lo before he can launch his operation, Project: Snowblind.
This game provides examples of:
- Auto-Revive: Manually triggered, but if you're downed when you're carrying a specific boost, you get back up at full health.
- Bag of Spilling: Averted from the second level afterwards. The weapons you receive throughout the game will stick with you to the end, and the ammunition at the start of each level will be the same as it was at the end of the previous level.
- Bullet Time: One of the earliest augmentations slows things down, being called a reflex boost.
- Collapsing Lair: Overloading the final reactor will start the detonation sequence. In the final level that follows, Frost needs to escape from the building before it explodes.
- Cutscene Power to the Max: Several cutscenes have Nathan Frost casually gunning down Republic soldiers like it's nobody's business.
- The Dung Ages: The aim of Project: Snowblind - Yan Lo wants to detonate electromagnetic pulses in New York, Tokyo, and Paris in order to do this.
- Elite Mooks: The Republic Elites, which are not only armored but have cloaking technology as well.
- Enemy Chatter: Quite a few missions allow you to overhear conversations between Republic soldiers, and they're often quite comical.
- Humongous Mecha: The Ogre walkers.
- Interface Screw: Occurs whenever Frost is hit with EMP or a Flashbang Grenade. In the former, his HUD is filled with static and is rendered "snowblind" for a few seconds, and in the latter, his vision is temporarily blurred by a white light.
- Killed Offscreen: General Cho Lao.
- Made of Iron: In the second level, the other Coalition soldiers you meet and interact with throughout the level have a ridiculously high HP level. Unlike every other killable NPC (hostile or friendly) that normally only take one or two punches to kill, it takes twenty to thirty punches to kill one of them, and firearms barely phase them (and since you're only given enough ammunition to fill one clip for each gun in that level, shooting them isn't recommended, anyway).
- Also, the Ballistic Shield augmentation makes Frost himself like this for a while.
- Mook-Face Turn: The secondary function of the sniper rifle fires a bullet containing mind-altering drugs that cause any Republic soldier hit with one of them to attack any other Republic soldier in sight, before killing the soldier itself a few seconds later. Also, the Icepick also Frost to hack into computer terminals and override the AI of any bots and turrets whose control system is connected to them and reprogram them to attack the Republic.
- Shock and Awe: The Electric Storm augmentation.
- Shout-Out: In the very first level, one of the Coalition soldiers that assist you against the Republic will always be named "SPC. Charlie Brown".
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: The result of earlier nano-technology being applied to Yan Lo twenty years ago, causing him to see technology as something that weakens mankind, hence Project: Snowblind.