This Christmas feels like the very first Christmas to me!
"Ready for Christmas, kids?"
"Aye aye, captain!"
The first Christmas Special
's SpongeBob SquarePants
When Spongebob is sneaking up on Sandy to try out his latest surprise karate technique, Sandy is taken aback- not by his stealth move, but in discovering that Spongebob doesn’t know what a Christmas tree is. In fact, Spongebob’s never heard of Christmas either. After catching up on what he’s missed, he realizes that Bikini Bottom has been missing out for years, and infects everyone in town with the Christmas spirit.
Everyone except Squidward that is, who doesn’t believe in Santa Claus, and refuses to take part in any of Spongebob’s Christmas shenanigans. Unfortunately, Santa’s a no show by morning in Bikini Bottom, and everybody blames Spongebob for wasting their time, and Squidward rubs it in Spongebob’s face, before receiving a special handmade gift that Spongebob had crafted for him, thinking that Squidward would feel left out when… Santa came
. How’s Squidward gonna make up for that?
Originally the only SpongeBob
Christmas special, until a stop motion special was released in 2012 as a part of Season Eight entitled Its A Sponge Bob Christmas
- Balloon Belly: Potty after eating all the cookie dough. It gets so heavy the strings holding it up snap.
- Batman Gambit: One could argue that Santa at the end planned the whole thing what with his note at the end, thanking Squidward for doing the Bikini Bottom run for him.
- Christmas Episode
- Christmas Songs: Well there’s two, "Santa’s Coming Tonight" and "This Christmas Feels Like the Very First Christmas to Me".
- Crowd Song: “Santa’s coming tonight, tonight! Santa’s coming tonight!”
- Framing Device: Patchy the Pirate and Potty, in their first ever appearance, decorate their house for Christmas.
- The Grinch: Squidward at first. Until he becomes the exact opposite.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidward’s heart of gold is at its worst at the beginning (until the fifth season), but at the second half, the heart of gold becomes very well known.
- Jerkass: As a gag after Santa doesn't show up, Squidward's realization that he was being an asshole is followed by his head being replaced by a donkey's.
- Medium Blending: Santa is played by a real life actor...and he's also a little bit off his rocker.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Squidward feels really bad for mocking Spongebob about Santa not arriving. How he made it up to him afterward makes him feel better.
- Santa Claus: Subverted with Squidward. Santa was a no-show. Or was he!?
- Saving Christmas: After Santa didn’t show up, Squidward took on the job himself, and the Christmas spirit once again returned to Bikini Bottom.
- Special Edition Title: The beginning credits are decorated for the holidays, and at the end, instead of Spongebob’s nose flute, a choir of Christmas Carolers that have been singing the entire theme song like a carol sing "Fala la la la la la la la la la la!"
- Spiritual Successor: Its A Sponge Bob Christmas, released 12 years later.
- Subbing for Santa: Squidward did it to cheer Spongebob up. At first of course, but the secret didn’t stay down for very long.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Squidward does a good deed but it really cost him most of his possessions. Though he ends up getting a present in the end as well.
- Visual Gag: See Jerkass above.
- What The Hell Squidward?