"Ready for Christmas, kids?"
"Aye aye, captain!"The first Christmas Special from Nickelodeon's Spongebob Squarepants.When Spongebob is sneaking up on Sandy to try out his latest surprise karate technique, Sandy is taken aback- not by his stealth move, but in discovering that Spongebob doesn’t know what a Christmas tree is. In fact, Spongebob’s never heard of Christmas either. After catching up on what he’s missed, he realizes that Bikini Bottom has been missing out for years, and infects everyone in town with the Christmas spirit.Everyone except Squidward that is, who doesn’t believe in Santa Claus, and refuses to take part in any of Spongebob’s Christmas shenanigans. Unfortunately, Santa’s a no show by morning in Bikini Bottom, and everybody blames Spongebob for wasting their time, and Squidward rubs it in Spongebob’s face, before receiving a special handmade gift that Spongebob had crafted for him, thinking that Squidward would feel left out when… Santa came. How’s Squidward gonna make up for that? He does with him as Santa.Originally the only SpongeBob Christmas special, until a stop motion special was released in 2012 as a part of Season Eight entitled Its A Sponge Bob Christmas.
- Balloon Belly: Potty after eating all the cookie dough. He even gets so fat the strings holding him up snap.
- Batman Gambit: One could argue that Santa at the end planned the whole thing what with his note at the end, thanking Squidward for doing the Bikini Bottom run for him.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Patchy The Pirate pulls on Potty The Parrot's strings so hard the puppeteer operating Polly falls down from above. This is a Visual Gag that doubles as an Amusing Injury.
- Christmas Episode
- Christmas Songs: Well there’s two, "Santa’s Coming Tonight" and "This Christmas Feels Like the Very First Christmas to Me".
- Crowd Song: “Santa’s coming tonight, tonight! Santa’s coming tonight!”
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-Universe example when Squidward laughed at Spongebob.
- Everyone Hates Fruit Cakes: SpongeBob sings about everyone pretending to like fruit cake. Mr. Krabs is seen giving one to Plankton, who tosses it in a trashcan full of other fruit cakes.
- Framing Device: Patchy the Pirate and Potty, in their first ever appearance, decorate their house for Christmas.
- The Grinch: Squidward basically becomes the original, down from hating Christmas to saving it for the town.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidward’s heart of gold is at its worst at the beginning (until the fifth season), but at the second half, the heart of gold becomes very well known.
- Laughing Mad: Played for Laughs with the REAL Santa Claus at the end.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: As said above, Potty's strings snap he eats a whole bunch of cookie dough.
- Medium Blending: Santa's appearance at the end, played by series writer Mike Bell.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Squidward feels really bad for mocking Spongebob about Santa not arriving. How he made it up to him afterward makes him feel better.
- Santa Claus: Subverted with Squidward. Santa was a no-show. Or was he!?
- Saving Christmas: After Santa didn’t show up, Squidward took on the job himself, and the Christmas spirit once again returned to Bikini Bottom.
- Special Edition Title: The beginning credits are decorated for the holidays, and at the end, instead of Spongebob’s nose flute, a choir of Christmas Carolers that have been singing the entire theme song like a carol sing "Fala la la la la la la la la la la!"
- Spiritual Successor: Its A Sponge Bob Christmas, released 12 years later.
- Subbing for Santa: Squidward did it to cheer Spongebob up. At first of course, but the secret didn’t stay down for very long.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Squidward does a good deed but it really cost him most of his possessions. Though he ends up getting a present in the end as well.
- Title Drop:Sandy: Ain't you never seen a Christmas tree before?SpongeBob: Christmas who?
- Visual Gag: See Jerkass above.
- Wham Line: "I still want you to have this" is definitely one to Squidward, as his demeanor instantly changes from assholishly gleeful to uncomfortably guilty in the blink of an eye the moment he hears it.
- What The Hell, Squidward?: Merry Christmas, Jerk!
- Yes Virginia: Santa does eventually show up, but not before Squidward's taken on the role himself and given away everything he owns as "presents".