A character who is home alone dances around like a fool, singing into a hairbrush. Usually a celebration or declaration of freedom, but sometimes just a way of showing that a character is happy and positive. Very common right after a character has scored a date with their longtime crush. Named for the famous scene of Tom Cruise
dancing in his underwear in Risky Business
. A frequent addition for comedy is for someone to walk in on them.
See also Happy Dance
(and contrast Angry Dance
, which is more likely to pastiche Footloose
- In the climax of Johnny English, the eponymous character tries to show the DVD featuring the Big Bad explaining his Evil Plan, but he apparently mixed up that DVD with one featuring him doing this.
- On Newsradio, Jimmy James does it at Dave's parent's house where he is hiding from the police.
- In Living Color! did a Black Comedy version, where the Menendez brothers do the dance while wielding rifles.
- Arrested Development, "Development Arrested", Ted is dressed like Tom Cruise (sunglasses, collar up, no pants) under the "Risky Business" banner. He can be heard saying "I couldn't see through the glasses and I slid into the ladder", implying he (unsuccessfully) attempted to re-create the famous "sliding in front of the stairs" scene from the movie, in front of the ladder.
- The Nanny: At the end of "Canasta Masta", Niles does until C.C. walks in on him.
- The Office Michael Scott, making reference to Risky Business, instructs an employee to "take your pants off, run around."
- At the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, Ben Stiller, as Tom Cruise's stunt double "Tom Crooze", recreates the opening slide, sliding hard against the wall.
- Tracker Nestov, dancing around in his underwear to 'Old Time Rock And Roll' after tying up Mel and Cole. He gets interrupted by an annoyed Zin and his mooks.
- Done on Glee by Sam during a mash-up of "Old Time Rock and Roll" and "Danger Zone", during the movie-themed episode.
- In a sketch on The Ben Stiller Show Stiller plays Cruise doing a One Man Show highlighting many of his most beloved film characters, obviously including the dance from Risky Business. This time Cruise is wearing a black leotard under his shirt & underwear.
- In an episode of Friends Rachel celebrates having the apartment to herself for one night by dancing around, unaware that Ross can see her from his own apartment across the street. To add to the embarrassment, rather than dancing around in her underwear...she chose to dance around completely naked.
- Another of those parodies was played during the NCAA Basketball tournament in March-April 2009. It included coaches Mike Krzyzewski, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, and Bob Knight as the lead singer - all dressed in the standard pink shirt and boxers.
- The ad campaign for Guitar Hero.
- The ad for Guitar Hero Metallica starts out this way, but no one appears to dance. They were tied up by the members of Metallica, who announce "Not in our commercial" before blowing up the house.
- Used again for the ad for Band Hero nonetheless.
- While the ad campaigns for Guitar Hero World Tour had the song featured, it didn't come out as DLC until well after the game was released. Needless to say, many shouts of joy were heard when players saw the lead singer slide across the stage to the microphone when playing the song.
- Rudy does it in this Kevin & Kell strip... except he forgets he isn't quite home alone.
- Kyle of South Park does this when his parents are arrested for child molestation, leaving him to take care of himself.
- Spoofed in King of the Hill: Bobby slides in in his underwear just as Luanne is watching the scene on TV. Turns out he hasn't seen the movie.
- Boba Fett does this in the stinger to the third Robot Chicken Star Wars special, with the Weequay on piano(-thing).
- On Dexter's Laboratory, Dexter's Dad does this while the rest of the family aren't at home.