Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 3 E 14 Bad Girls
Buffy: Wait. Stop. Think!
Faith: No, no, no!
Faith becomes a bad influence to Buffy
and accidentally kills Sunnydale's deputy mayor. Wilkins casts an invincibility spell on himself. First appearance of Wesley.
- Accidental Murder: Deputy Mayor Finch suddenly appears while Buffy and Faith are fighting El Eliminati vampires. Buffy only realises he's human a second before Faith stakes him.
- Adventure Duo: Buffy and Faith, the Chosen Two.
- Aesop Amnesia: Xander has clearly lost what self-confidence he gained by the end of "The Zeppo"; indeed his image as a loser is something he'll struggle with throughout the series. Buffy at the Bronze interacts with Angel in a highly-sexual manner; fortunately Angel is more focused.
- Archaic Weapon for an Advanced Age
Trick: Why do they always gotta be using swords? (picks it up, tosses it to Finch) It's called an Uzi, ya chump! Could have saved your ass right about now.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The compound longbow Faith stole from the shop. Also the swords used by El Iliminati.
- Badass Bookworm: Giles taunts his captor, defies the threat of torture and engages in some serious sword-wielding. One wonders why Wesley doesn't just give up and go home.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Buffy tries to convince Faith to play along with their new Watcher.
Look, I know this new guy's a dork, but... Well I have nothing to follow that. He's pretty much just a dork.
- Buffy Speak: Wesley is reading from Giles' first diary entry on Buffy.
Her abuse of the English language is such that I understand only every other sentence.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Mayor Wilkins daily planner.
Plumber Union Reschedule
Call Temp Agency
Meeting With PTA
- Call Back: "I hate it when they drown me." That incident also lead to Buffy acting out in an irresponsible fashion in "When She Was Bad". It also serves as foreshadowing to Buffy's dream in the next episode.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : While raiding a shop for weapons, Faith lectures Buffy on the simplicity of life as a Slayer: Want, Take, Have. A few smashed display cases later, the police shows up. Whoops.
- Captain Obvious: Buffy and Faith are fighting off a horde of vampires.
Buffy: We're surrounded!
Faith: You noticed that too?
- Casual Danger Dialogue: In the Action Prologue Faith is grilling Buffy on why she never slept with Xander.
- Chekhov's Gun / Foreshadowing: While looting the sporting goods store Faith takes an interest in a compound longbow while Buffy likes a wall display of knives. In "Graduation Day, Part One" Faith will use the longbow to shoot Angel while Buffy uses a knife on Faith.
- Comeback Tomorrow
Cordelia: Well, Xander, I could dress more like you, but my father has a job.
Xander: I'm not gonna waste the perfect comeback on you now. But don't think I don't have it. Oh, yes! Its time will come!
- Counting to Three: Faith naturally charges in on "one". When she claims that it's impossible to plan these things, Buffy gripes that counting to three isn't a plan, it's Sesame Street.
- Deadpan Snarker: Wesley's presence brings Giles' talent up to full strength.
Wesley: Stay calm, Mr. Giles! We have to stay calm!
Giles: Well, thank God you're here. I was planning to panic.
- Defiant to the End: A bound Wesley and Giles are brought before Balthazar.
Balthazar: You know what I want.
Giles: If it's for me to scrub those hard-to-reach areas, I'd like to request you kill me now. (mook hits him) Ow!
Wesley: (beginning to panic) Are you out of your mind? This is hardly the time for games!
Giles: Why not? They're going to torture us to death anyway.
- Description Cut: Wesley checks his watch and says that according to his "mission scenario" his Slayer will be back in one minute. Cut to Buffy and Faith surrounded by sword-wielding vampires.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Best friends drawn apart because one of them meets someone new and more exciting.
- Dirty Coward / Miles Gloriosus: He's killed three vampires (under controlled conditions) but Wesley quickly spills his guts when threatened with Knee Capping.
- Dual Wielding
- Evil Laugh: More like an evil chuckle by the Mayor.
- Falling Chandelier of Doom / Electrified Bathtub / Benevolent Architecture
- Fat Bastard / Large Ham / Red Eyes, Take Warning: Balthazar
- Foreshadowing: Angel unambiguously takes on the badass hero role of his spin-off series.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: During the Bronze scene, Buffy is shown to have a still-bloody cut on her upper arm which she doesn't even try to hide.
- Glasses Pull: Wesley and Giles start cleaning their glasses simultaneously; Giles stops when he notices this.
- The Glomp: Buffy, revved up after staking vampires and dancing with Faith, leaps into Angel's arms.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: “Collateral damage” is boldly stricken through in Buffy’s dictionary, apparently. See also What Could Have Been further below.
- Handy Cuffs: Averted; Buffy and Faith are cuffed with their hands behind their backs.
- Heart Symbol: In a scene laden with Les Yay subtext, Faith entices Buffy out of a chemistry test for some vampire slaying by breathing on the window, then drawing a love heart with a stake through it.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: Wesley suggests this after he and Giles are captured.
Now, hold on. We-we-we can deal with this rationally. We have something you want. You have something we want. Balthazar:
Hmm... A trade. Intriguing. (considers) No. Wait. Boring. Pull off his kneecaps!
- Just Friends
Buffy: I love Xander, I just don't...love Xander.
- Kleptomaniac Heroine: Buffy and Faith enjoy looting the sporting goods store until the police arrive.
- Large Ham: Balthazar.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Faith's M.O.
- Les Yay: Loads and loads between Buffy and Faith.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: Vincent waves his sword at Buffy and suggests they settle this honorably. After getting the drop on Buffy he says, "Well, then, let's just settle it" and dunks her head in water.
- Let's You and Him Fight: The Mayor hopes the Slayers and El Eliminati will kill each other, and tells Trick to feed them the required information.
- Mating Dance: Buffy and Faith dance wildly at the Bronze surrounded by three hunky guys. Tellingly the two girls face each other the whole time.
- May-December Romance: Angel comments about the men Buffy was dancing with. She dismisses them casually as "just boys. I want you."
- Mook Chivalry
Buffy: We're never gonna make it to the warehouse.
Faith: If they keep coming one at a time, we got a shot.
- Also combined with Once is Not Enough: One of the Balthazar’s minions starts to drown Buffy and walks away with a satisfied look on his face when she stops moving. Sure she can’t be faking it, can she?
- Also combined with Why Don't You Just Stab?: Another one assaults the Mayor, points a sword to his neck and... starts talking to give time to get kicked away.
- Musicalis Interruptus: When Faith stabs Finch.
- Punctuated Pounding: "I have never...done it...with Xander!"
- My Slayer is a Slut: When Buffy hauls Faith away from the three guys she was dancing with, Faith points at all three and asks them to call her.
- The Mole: Implied with Finch; what was he doing with the Eliminati in the first place? And who got Vincent past the Mayor's security? The following episode suggests however that he may have been trying to contact the Slayers as a whistleblower.
- Murder by Mistake: Poor Deputy Mayor Finch.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The Mayor gets this power. Big trouble ahead.
- Out, Damned Spot!: Faith is vigorously and obsessively scrubbing her hands and clothes after killing Finch.
- Police Are Useless: The recklessness the officers showed during the arrest sort of implied that they can easily be suppressed by Faith.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: El Eliminati
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: Faith's philosophy.
- Super Window Jump: Buffy and Faith actually use this as a weapon by crashing into a vampire nest in broad daylight, setting one vampire on fire and causing the rest to flee in panic.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: Some of the lyrics for "Chinese Burn" by Curve, the song playing for the Buffy/Faith dance.
She'll break a promise as a matter of course / Because she thinks it's fun to have no remorse / She gets what she wants and then walks away / And she doesn't give a fuck what you might say
- Swiss Cheese Security: Mayor’s office.
- Take Me Instead / Walk In Chime In
Look, um, tell you what, let Captain Courageous
here go, and I'll tell you what you need to know. How's that deal?
Balthazar: THERE IS ONE DEAL! YOU WILL DIE QUICKLY, OR YOU WILL DIE SLOWLY! THE MAN WHO HAS MY AMULET! WHAT IS HIS NAAAME?!
Angel: His name is Angel.
- Terse Talker: Wesley asks for a debriefing on last night's mission. Buffy replies, "Vampires. Killed 'em."
- Twitchy Eye: Xander's eye twitches whenever Faith's name is mentioned, after having sex with her the previous episode.
- Two-Part Episode
- Self-Mutilation Demonstration: The Mayor tries out his new invulnerability by letting Vincent chop his head in half. Now there's a man with confidence.
- Villain Ball: El Eliminati were a notorious vampire duelist cult that dwindled after an increase in anti-vampire activity "and a lot of pointless dueling".
- Villains Out Shopping: The Mayor, Mr. Trick, and Finch discuss their favorite newspaper comics.
Mayor: Agh! Uuugh!
That dog's always on the furniture! It's so unsanitary.
Mr. Trick: No one tells Marmaduke what to do. That is my kind of dog.
I like to read Cathy
The Mayor and Mr. Trick just stare
- Wasn't That Fun?: After the Mayor has just completed a dark ritual to give himself Complete Immortality.
Mayor: This officially commences the Hundred Days. Nothing can harm me until the Ascension.
Gosh, I'm feeling chipper! Who's for a root beer?!
- After Faith persuades Buffy to abandon all pretense of strategy and just rush blindly to attack half-a-dozen sword-wielding vampires...
Faith: "Tell me you don't get off on this."
Buffy: "Didn't suck."
- What Could Have Been: Faith was originally going to kill herself by the end of this episode, but it was decided to further her character.
- Why Didnt I Think Of That: Faith enters the library and eyes up Wesley.
New Watcher? Buffy and Giles:
New Watcher. Faith: Screw that.
(walks out) Buffy:
Now, why didn't I
just say that?