Oh great, Alice is making one of her "suggestions" again, and Bob is just getting ready to deploy the mandatory response
when Alice suddenly begins to make sense. "Hang on!" Bob says. "Thats a brilliant idea... why didn't I think of that?
This is when a character suggests something to another character that they wish they'd thought up, or are even surprised they didn't think up first. Despite the opening this doesn't have to be a previously dim or spacey
character surprising a smart one (though that version may overlap with Dumbass Has a Point
); simply suggesting something that in hindsight seems obvious can catch any character off guard. Compare Glad I Thought of It
, where the character not only wishes they'd come up with the idea but tries to pretend they did
come up with the idea.
There's a tonne of examples on this IMDb search result
... unfortunately most aren't in context, so if anyone is familiar with any of the films and series here, please add them to the examples with context.
- Film.Robo Cop 2014. This is the response of the OmniCorp PR man to the news that Robocop is investigating his own murder.
- From Wacky Races, after the Mean Machine is crushed by a hillbilly's boulder trap:
Dick Dastardly: Wow! What a keen booby trap! I wish I'd thought of it!
- Futurama, "A Biclops Built For Two"; Fry is in a dungeon:
Fry: Leela, you have to get me out of here. It's horrible! Eating scraps, letting my waste drop where I stand like an animal in the zoo.
Leela: Animals go on the corner.
Fry: The corner! Why didn't I think of that?
- Shaggy says this in the Scooby-Doo episode "Scooby's Night With A Frozen Fright," when Scooby shows him how he hooked a link of hot dogs from the gang's picnic basket.
- In an episode of Aladdin, Genie temporarily gives his powers to Iago, who (contrary to the Jerkass he acts as when an ordinary parrot) goes out of his way to try to improve everyone's lives. After Iago redirects a river, Genie wonders aloud why he never thought of that; Iago uses his newfound genie powers to make a big show opening his head to show off his brain in response. Then all of Iago's benevolence backfires dramatically, showing that maybe it's for the better that Genie didn't ever think of that.