Webcomic / DICE: The Cube That Changes Everything
Dongtae is rock bottom in everything. Looks, grades, life, everything... But all that might change.
If you could change your life by playing a game... Would you?DICE: The Cube That Changes Everything
is a Korean Webtoon
by Yun Hyun Suk.
Has a Character sheet
Provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Byungchul's parents seem to be this.
- The boy shown in the first chapter has been beaten and abused by his own drunken father. Chapter 109 confirms what many fans suspected: That said boy is X, the original discoverer of the dice.
- Adults Are Useless: Adults are barely present in the webtoon. Aside from teachers appearing from time to time, other adults are not shown at all. Dongtae's mother appears to be constantly drunk, depressed, and absent along with his father.
- Ambiguously Evil: "X". He is always cheerful to everyone he speaks to and never raises his voice nor gets angry, only slightly annoyed at best... And he even gave Dongtae a special quest to save Eunju from other students. However he's also the one that made the original quest that got Eunju in trouble in the first place. And it's also implied that the true reason Byungchul died was because he succeeded in his attempt to hack the game, and "X" as a "Game Master" removed him.
- As a "Game Master" it's likely that his main desire is to keep the game running at any price while making it more interesting.
- Animal Motifs: Mio is heavily associated with cats, sporting a Cat Smile, as well as petting stray cats while waiting on Dongtae
- Bishounen: Taebin. Later, thanks to the dice, Dongtae becomes one as well, much to surprise of their classmates. In general, it can happen to any person that uses dice points to increase the physical attractiveness attributes.
- Berserk Button: While "X" is usually not annoyed by anything, it appears people refusing to play his game is a trigger for him. While he doesn't show any actual anger, after Eunju told him her reasons for not wanting to play his game he created a quest targeting her. Said quest had rewards for people ripping her clothes and taking embarrassing photos of her, even to the point of causing physical injuries.
- Butt Monkey: Dongtae was one at the start of the story, once he becomes a Dicer he starts improving himself and things start to change for him.
- Byungchul too, and Dongtae gave him a dice hoping it would help him, just like it helped him. However, it only gets worse...
- Character Sheet: Dicers access these by phone.
- The Chessmaster: "X". He empowers other people with his dices, gives out the quests and sets most of the events into motion. For instance, a pair of quests to Byungchul had him sneaking into the school in order to light it on fire. Dongtae was given quests to help him though opted not to, resulting in his death. Even more so when he organized a quest with Eunju as a target and made Dongtae into her secret protector. X's purpose is usually to keep his game running, although he is quite the cunning manipulator, twisting players' desires into quests which inflict harm on others and themselves for the sake of his entertainment.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Taebin, who was bullied and humiliated daily by his classmates so badly he actually tried to kill himself several months prior to the main story, before Mooyoung stopped him. Then, when things finally started to look up for him, Mooyoung killed all of their friends, other dicers, in cold blood - all to get the final die. To top it off, much later in the story Mooyoung is revealed to have possessed his body.
- Driven to Suicide: Taebin before he became a dicer. He's stopped by Mooyoung.
- The Faceless: The author seems to love this trope:
- In the chapters leading up to chapter 109, X can be seen only as a silhouette. In 109, he appears with only his face hidden.
- Mooyoung has yet to show his eyes to the readers.
- Dawn, the hooded person who infiltrates the school during the PvP, remains this way until Taebin knocks her hood off.
- Fanservice Pack: Can happen to any dicer. Taebin, Dongtae, Che-Hyun, and Mio are among those who have altered their body shapes and their looks.
- Flight: Levitation, one of the A-ranker abilities.
- Fragile Speedster: Dongtae focuses on speed and power, but not defense.
- Generic Cuteness: Starts with an aversion, as most characters aren't very good looking at first. Becomes justified later as more dicers are created, many of whom improve their looks.
- Groin Attack: Mio knees Dongtae in his dongtae in chapter 61.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: X, who doesn't appear in person and communicates almost solely through text messaging. Subverted in that he's actually the very first character to appear in the series as the beaten child in the prologue.
- Invisibility: Cloaking, one of the A-ranker abilities.
- Innate Night Vision: It's one of the abilities that can be obtained.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Byungchul realizes if he levels up enough he can get super powers.
- And most of, if not all, the other students in the school.
- It Amused Me: Seems to be X's primary motivation for giving people dices and quests.
- It's All My Fault: Dongtae blames himself for Byungchul's death, who might not have died had Dongtae not ignored the quest "X" gave him that particular night.
- Killed Off for Real: Byungchul, Miju, Sungchul, Teacher Kim Youngsuk and Samsusaeng.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Taebin conveniently forgets all about his "favor" to Mooyoung.
- Love Makes You Dumb: Despite witnessing Mooyoung killing all of his friends, the first thing Taebin does upon seeing him fall from the sky is run to him and beg him not to die. He also agrees to help him with his plan to become an S-Rank, albeit with some hesitation on his part, ready to do practically anything to save Mooyoung's life. Including letting him into his body and starting the PVP slaughter all over again.
- Mind over Matter: Psychokinesis, one of the A-ranker abilities.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Sometime after the revelation that Mooyoung is currently inhabiting Taebin's body, we see Taebin standing near a broken mirror, clutching his head with both hands, seemingly in pain. His hair is white in one of the shards, just like Mooyoung's were, hinting that Mooyoung is slowly but surely taking control over him.
- Happens with Mio once she gains the A-rank ability Clarivoyance, everytime she sees her own reflection, it shows how she looked before using the dice.
- New Transfer Student: Taebin.
- Nice Guy: Dongtae happily gave Byungchul a dice as he knew how he was feeling. Later, Dongtae stopped him from going too far during the latter's attacks on antagonistic bullies.
- Not So Different: Taebin and Dongtae.
- Not Quite Dead: Turns out Mooyoung didn't manage to kill Dawn, and she survives the attack with a scarred throat and a thirst for vengeance.
- Only Sane Man: Of the dicers, Dongtae is this. He remains the only moral dicer, even as everyone else becomes arrogant and/or apathetic.
- The Rival: Taebin becomes one for Dongtae as story progresses, especially after he starts dating Dongtae's crush. Dongtae's main motivation is to improve himself and overcome Taebin.
- Rivals Team Up: They're forced to help each other protect Eunju from students completing the hurtful quests "X" gave them.
- Shout-Out: These are numerous, involving many works of fiction.
- Sudden Game Interface: It's apparent from one of the sequences that all souls in this world roll for their permanent stats before starting a new life, but forget everything on being born. Rolling one of the Dice is all it takes to break the Masquerade. Dongtae's poor life until this point is explained by his stats all being ones.
- Super Empowering: The effect the dice have on normal people, allowing them to boost many of their attributes such as those for strength, endurance, agility or physical attractiveness, even granting to the ability to see in darkness. There are special golden dice that grant people different, much greater powers, such as Dongtae's Time Stands Still, which was given as a reward for completing one of X's special quests.
- Super Strength: Byungchul managed to gain this by increasing 'strength' attributes and focusing all of the power into his left hand, allowing him to deliver devastating punches. Overusing it, however, causes large veins to appear all over his arm, temporarily making his arm disabled and it causes great pain.
- Teleport Spam: Teleportation, one of the A-ranker abilities.
- Teens Are Monsters: This webtoon shows the length other students are willing to go to obtain the dice, which range from bullying to potentially killing each other. One splinter group of students even ends up luring their classmates into their service with promises of dice, only if they take loyalty oaths and serve them as virtual slaves.
- Time Stands Still: Time Pause, one of the A-ranker abilities. Dongtae gains this power after he passed one of X's hidden quests involving the protection of Eunju from other students.
- The Trickster: The mysterious and enigmatic "X" is the one granting dicers quests and is likely behind the whole dice mystery. He refers to himself as a "Game Master" and is willing to do anything so long it keeps the game running.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Taebin is Mooyoung.
- Tsundere: Mio towards Dongtae, of the Deredere type.
- Unlucky Everydude:
- Dongtae was this at the start of the story - beaten, abused by his classmates and having his crush fall for his rival. However, as time passes and he continues to use the dice, he manages to move from this territory and become strong enough to shake off all his bullying.
- Byungchul as well. While he used to live a rather peaceful life with the bullies preferring to torture Dongtae, that all changes as Dongtae becomes stronger.
- Uniqueness Value: Why Taebin doesn't like the idea of there being more Dicers. Subverted when it is revealed that having more Dicers will eventually draw Mooyoung to him and initiate a bloody PvP session, one of which already traumatized Taebin in the past. Prior to Mooyoung's betrayal, however, he was all for spreading the dice around in order to help people.
- Wham Episode: Chapters from 107 to 115.
- Taebin isn't the only survivor of his group.
- He is also Mooyoung.
- He is also the one actually responsible for spreading the dice, all to bring Mooyoung back to life.
- Eunju finally rolls her dice and goes on a murderous rampage immediately after that, killing two people and injuring Taebin in the process. Dongtae arrives at the scene just in the nick of time, barely stopping her from bashing Taebin's face in with a chair.
- You Are What You Hate: Eunju becomes a Dicer in Stage 114.