Oh God, with the Verbing!
"Oy, with the arrows, and the bleeding, and the death!
(gets stabbed) And the knifing, and the hurting, and the senseless violence, already!"
A phrase made popular by Jerry Lewis
that was then exaggerated by characters based on him. The phrase is based on the syntax of Yiddish
, and is heavily associated with Jewish and Borscht Belt
humor. Jews do love to complain
, after all. Variations include: "Oh God, with the X!", "Stop, with the X!", "Please, not with the X!", etc. It's often topped off with "already!"
The phrase is generally used to complain about an action, like "shouting," "stabbing" and so forth, but can also use to complain about a subject, such as "Enough, with the radio! Turn it off!"
Just about every Alter Kacker
will indulge in the trope, but cultural saturation has also made it a part of general Buffy Speak
. This can be considered part of the variant of stereotyped Jive Turkey
specific to New York, and is particularly common among anybody who is trying to imply that they are from that city, whether or not they actually are. Non-Americans will usually consider it profoundly annoying, but won't express that, because given that the speaker is usually Jewish, it would be politically incorrect to do so.
Not to be confused with Oh, the Humanity!
open/close all folders
- Used in the first episode of Berserk Abridged.
- Used in a recent Ben 10 abridged series.
- Quite a few times in Dragon Ball Z abridged movies done by I Touched Yusuke in the precursor team-up to Team Four Star.
- Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged: X = flying.
- Ranma Abridged with Ryoga. "Oy, with the boobs, and the shirt, and the woah!"
- And then in a later episode: "With the boot, and the face, and the pain..."
- The Abridging of Haruhi Suzumiya: Kyon yells the 'running' version of this as Haruhi drags him out of the classroom, complete with a Super Mario Bros. soundtrack.
- Code Geass: The Abridged Series has this happen a few times, with Shirley declaring "Oh God With The Falling" when Milly declares the cat-catching contest and the "prize", while Suzaku has several, one in the flashback involving being shot, and another being hit the scene-changing screen after Lelouch gets fed up with Suzaku not getting his hint.
- The Third Hokage from Naruto The Abridged Comedy Spoof Series Show uses this when Iruka shows up to bother him one time too many. "God, always with the talking from you."
- Used overtly by Uncle Iroh in Avatar: The Abridged Series. "Alright, alright! Enough, with the vining [whining], already!"
- In Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, the German soldiers are very glad Rip Van Winkle is no longer going on about the ponies, and the friendship, and the wrapping up of the winter.
- Brian Michael Bendis sometimes writes Spider-Man (who grew up a Lutheran) like this. "Grenades! Oy with the grenades!"
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- At the end of Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal (Det Sjunde Inseglet), the actor Jof sees a vision of the knight and his family doing a dance of death. His wife, Mia, turns to him and says "You with your visions and dreams."
- The Sunshine Boys - "Again with the finger!?" This line got picked up and used on MST3K several times.
Live Action TV
- From Allan Sherman's "Sir Greenbaum's Madrigal": "All day with the slaying and slewing and smiting and smoting like Robin Hood! Ah, would I could kick the habit and give up smoting for good!"
- Homestar Runner had Strong Bad begin answering "other days," one of his sbemails, with "Again with the 'Dear Strong Bad'..."
- Used by Pilz-E a lot in Neurotically Yours.
- In the first episode of Monkey Ninjas:
(after Carl defeats a monster in the kitchen)
Phil: Oi! What's with all the yelling and the cooking and the pan-smacking? It's 8 AM!
Carl: You sound like you swallowed a rabbi.
- According to Topfive.com, the number one Jewish Country Western song is "Alright, Already, Stop With the Infidelity!"
- Mister Magic, a superhero from the Global Guardians PBEM Universe whose mystic power is based on the Hebrew Kaballah, often speaks in this manner.
- The Nostalgia Critic does this (albeit in the midst of a Jerry Lewis impression) in his Dungeons & Dragons review.
- Mister Director from Animaniacs, and Paul Rugg in general.
Mr. Director: Oh, cute little children with the puppy dog faces!
- An even more elaborate example:
Mr. Director: Hoyl! How'd you! With the going! You were there but here now! You are! For me to see! How'd you do!?
Yakko: Did you get any of that?
Wakko: I believe he said, "Hoyl! How'd you! With the going! You were there but here now! You are! For me to see! How'd you do!?"
Yakko: Thanks for clearing that up.
- In his more zany moments, the title character of Freakazoid! (who is also voiced by Paul Rugg) has a tendency to slip into a Jerry Lewis impersonation.
- Prof. Frink in The Simpsons, mostly because the voice actor based him on Jerry Lewis' character in the "Nutty Professor". Jerry Lewis was cast as Prof. Frink's father in a Halloween Special.
- In "Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy", Frink drinks a mixture made by Grampa Simpson and he immediately transforms into a Buddy Love-esque guy.
- In "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie," the family sees a preview for Star Trek XII: So Very Tired, in which Captain Kirk is informed that the Klingons are approaching. He sighs and says, "Again with the Klingons."
- Shelton Klutzberry, another character vocally based on Jerry Lewis, says this sort of thing in The Replacements.
- Zoidberg and the other Decapoidians talk this way on Futurama, being Space Jews.
- Mort Goldman in Family Guy occasionally does this.
- In one episode, Mojo Jojo of The Powerpuff Girls repeatedly describes the foiling of his plan as "The dogs, the biting, the dropping."
- In Codename: Kids Next Door, Numbuh 5's entire family does this almost constantly. Her mother does it in French. What with her father being a homage to Bill Cosby, with the obliviousness, and the parenting, and d'oh, you know what I'm talking about!
- In one episode of Histeria that focused on the Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark Expedition, Lewis and Clark get crushed by a canoe they're carrying. Lewis says, "stop with the heavyness already!" in a very annoying voice.
- Due to a short-circuit, Larry 3000 from Time Squad behaves like a drunk person, leading to this exchange in front of many French people:
Larry: He-LLO FRI-ENDS! Oh, the nice French people, with the funny language, and the talking, with the "Oui oui, poo poo, ah hah hah hah, oh mon cheri, french fries"... woah! Hey LA-dy!
Buck: *laughs* Hey, that's a pretty good Dean Martin.
Otto: *attempting to pull Larry away* Come on, Larry...
Larry: Oh please, kind sir, with the grabbing of the arm... Oh with the hurrying...
- Kim Possible villain Dr. Drakken gets this response to one of his plans:
Drakken: Suppose you outnumbered her... Suppose there was an army of you against one of her.
Shego: Oh, no. Again with the cloning?!
- Invader Zim: Professor membrane is disappointed with his son's incessant necromancy.
Membrane: Always with the dead that boy.
Oy, enough with the troping and the editing and the categorizing of all the fiction already!