Episode - 9F12
First Aired - 2/4/1993Angry over Homer neglecting to pick him up from soccer practice, Bart poses as a homeless child in dire need of a father figure for the Bigger Brothers Organization and begins spending time with a cool man named Tom. Meanwhile, Lisa tries to break her addiction to a 1-900 line where pretty boy celebrity, Corey, talks to girls.
This episode contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Homer calls Pepe "Pepsi" at one point.
- Amusing Injuries: Homer suffers a lot of these near the end of the episode during his fight with Tom.
- Bad Is Good and Good Is Bad:Marge: He called you a bad father.
Homer: Marge, when kids these days say "bad," they mean "good". And "to shake your booty" means "to wiggle one's butt". (about to stand up) Permit me to demonstrate.
- Big "WHY?!": Homer yells this as he dreams Bart having turned into a skeleton. He then yells "Why?.... Who?....When?.... How?..."
- Blame Game: "I know you're mad at me, boy. I'm kinda mad too. I mean, we can sit here talking about who forgot to pick up who until the cows come home. Let's just say, that we're both wrong, and that'll be the end of it."
- Body Horror: Bart's Imagine Spot of Homer's face melting as the background turns into Hell.Homer: Now how about a hug.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Homer takes on an upper-class English accent while confronting Bart when he comes back from a day out with Tom for no particular reason.
- Brutal Honesty: Krusty, during Tuesday Night Live:Krusty: We got a great show for you!... Well actually, the last half hour is a real garbage dump. Ugh.... we'll be right back.
Bart: I miss Joe Piscopo.
- Call Back: Bart and Tom watch an episode of Ren and Stimpy, while later Homer and Pepe mirror this by watching an episode of The Itchy and Scratchy Show together.
- Comically Missing the Point: Homer forgets to pick up Bart after practice, even when he hears the word "Bart" repeatedly around him. At the end of the episode, Tom and Pepe need Bart to point out to them that Tom could be Pepe's bigger brother.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When Homer catches Bart coming home after his time with Tom, he is at first aggressive but then tries to get Bart to remember the fun times they had, like when he pushed Bart on the swing. Bart coldly replies, "I was faking it." Homer, aghast, shouts, "Liar!" Bart teases him: "Oh yeah, dad? Remember this? Higher, dad! Higher!" Homer is deeply hurt and runs out shouting, "STOP IT!" Obviously, this whole bit is a euphemism for faking orgasms during sex.
- Eye Scream: In the Ren & Stimpy cartoon, Ren's eyeballs suddenly explode after eating Stimpy's collection of furballs and stomach acid.
- Food Slap: Homer tells Pepe about a memory he had involving how cruel Bart was to him:Homer: Son, I just want you to know I love you very much.Bart: *As he shoves a grapefruit in his face* Shut up!*Back to present day*Homer: Mmm, grapefruit. *Licks chops*
- I Have No Son: Inverted. Bart calls the Bigger Brother program and says he doesn't have a father, then poses as an orphaned street rat whose father abandoned him.Bart: My name is Bart Simpson, and I don't have a father.
- Imagine Spot: "Now how 'bout a hug?"
- Also Homer has one in which he finally goes to pick up Bart from soccer practice, only to find a spiky-headed skeleton.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After driving Homer from the room by claiming he faked enjoying the fun times he had, Bart lowers his head sadly. He's also deeply apologetic after Homer's fight with Tom ends badly.
- Naked People Are Funny: When Homer finally remembers to pick up Bart, he leaps out of the bathtub to get to the car without bothering to put on clothes first. Fortunately, he shows up fully dressed.Lisa: Dad, hide your shame!
Ned: (off-screen) Hey, Homie, I can see your doodle!
Homer: (off-screen) Shut up, Flanders.
- Never Trust a Trailer: Original promos for this episode suggested this was a going to be a serious, dramatic episode, with Bart saying "Tom's a better father than you ever were!", followed by a shot of Homer crying. In the actual episode, Homer was crying after confessing that he fell for a record and tape club scam that promises the first couple albums for a penny before jacking up the prices.
- Padding: In-universe: The Big Ear Family.Krusty: Hi honey, I'm home! Uh-oh, I got wax in my ears! Better clean 'em! (pulls out a giant Q-tip) Huh? Huh? (no laughter from audience) Ugh, this goes on for twelve more minutes.
- Revenge: Homer's expressed reason to join the bigger brother program. The program's list of reasons also includes options like "spite" and "malice".
- While Bart waits for Homer, the wind begins to pick up and a nun is sent flying as a result.
- Milhouse writes "Trab Pu Kcip" on a mirror when Bart tries to psychically project a message to Homer.
- Bart watches Krusty hosting the Saturday Night Live knock-off Tuesday Night Live and is so disappointed in the episode that he misses Joe Piscopo (who was a cast member on SNL from 1980note to 1984).
- Homer compares a Dumpster-dwelling hobo to Oscar the Grouch.
- Bart and Tom watch Ren and Stimpy on TV. They actually got the show's artists to do the layouts for the scene.
- The scene where Homer confronts Bart after returning from having fun with Tom is taken from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.
- Homer and Tom's fight is taken from The Quiet Man, complete with similar music.
- Homer's face melting off during Bart's nightmarish vision might have been based on Toht's death in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- The episode's title is a shout out to the John Sayles independent film The Brother From Another Planet.
- Special Guest: Phil Hartman as Football Commentator, Nelson's Dad, Tom, and the Tuesday Night Live Announcer
- Stock Footage: After Bart asks, "Dad, where are you?" while sitting in a rain, the episode cuts to a clip from the episode "Three Men and a Comic Book", with new dialogue dubbed over and the storm outside the window reanimated. Since the scene in question is the one where Homer looks out the window to check on Bart and his friends, we can chalk this episode up as another rare appearance of the Simpsons' notorius rumpus room.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Early on, a nun gets blown away on the wind, and randomly explodes in the distance.
- Take That!: Bart watches Krusty guest-hosting an episode of Tuesday Night Live, which is so bad that Bart remembers the days when Joe Piscopo was on the show. At the time, most critics were claiming that Saturday Night Live was going into another period of Seasonal Rot due to bad host choices and thin sketches with one-note characters note . The writers on the DVD commentary claimed that this was more of a backhanded Affectionate Parody, as most of The Simpsons writers on the show at the time got their start on SNL and left because they pretty much used their time on the show for extra money and a stepping stone for bigger and better projects.
- "Tonight on Wings... Ah, who cares?"
- Taxonomic Term Confusion: Homer does this twice. He teaches Pepe the wrong names for constellations and claims that Tom's correct explanation that dolphins are mammals is actually untrue.
- Waiting Skeleton: Homer forgets to pick up Bart from soccer practice and leaves him waiting for several hours. While taking a bath, Homer has a dream in which he goes to pick up Bart, only to discover he's too late and Bart has decayed into a skeleton while waiting. This dream finally causes Homer to remember he forgot about Bart.