Recap: The Simpsons S 4 E 15 I Love Lisa
Episode - 9F13
First Aired - 2/11/1993
It's Valentine's Day at Springfield Elementary, and in Ms. Hoover's classroom, all the second-graders are getting tons of cards from each other...everyone, that is, except Ralph Wiggum, who's left empty-handed. Lisa, taking pity on him, gives Ralph one of her Valentines, a card with a train on it saying "I 'Choo-Choo-Choose' You!". Overcome with joy, Ralph gets a crush on Lisa. Meanwhile, Krusty the Clown is holding a 29th Anniversary Show, and Bart and Lisa would do anything to get tickets for it.
This episode contains examples of:
- The Ahnold: Bart, playing a Terminator-esque John Wilkes Booth. Who then tries to go after Chester A. Arthur before Mrs. Hoover restrains him.
- Angry Black Man: Sideshow Raheem
Krusty: Angry, angry man.
- Big "NO!": Lisa, right after Ralph confesses his love for her at the Krusty anniversary show.
- Also, Skinner yelling, "JOHNNY!" after having a 'Nam flashback.
- Bowdlerization: In-universe — Flanders' love song to Maude is a cleaned-up version of Rod Stewart's If You Think I'm Sexy.
- Brick Joke and Book Ends: The episode begins and ends with Bill and Marty from KBBL accidentally playing Monster Mash on both Valentine's Day and President's Day.
Bill: You got the wrong record, didn't you?
Marty: Why are you doing this to me, Bill?
- Classically Trained Extra: Rex, the thespian second-grader, is outraged when Ralph is picked as George Washington. He ends up in a bit part as Washington's servant.
- Comically Missing the Point
Homer: You know, one day honest citizens are going to stand up to you crooked cops.
Wiggum: (worried) They are!? Oh no! Ha-have they set a date?
- Don't Explain the Joke: "It says 'Choo-Choo-Choose you', and there's a picture of a train!"
- Dude, Not Funny!: The writers actually got complaints about the part where Principal Skinner has a Vietnam flashback of seeing his best friend shot in Da Nang in 1969 while writing a love letter to his girlfriend back home.
- Hidden Depths: Ralph is revealed to be a very good actor.
- Innocuously Important Episode: This episode reveals Ralph is Wiggum's son.
- Juggling Loaded Guns: Chief Wiggum using his gun to crack a nut open
- Noodle Incident: Zigzagged. We see the flashback of how Chief Wiggum got tickets from Krusty the Clown (Krusty was at a porno theater, Chief Wiggum walks in to enjoy it as well, and Krusty thinks he's under arrest, even though he's not indecently exposed, with a prostitute, or with anyone under 18 note ) before Lisa cuts off with, "That story isn't suitable for children." However, Chief Wiggum implies that the version he told was where he kept his pants on. We don't see the version where he doesn't keep his pants on, nor do we get any further info as to why he would have his pants off in the first place. And Lisa doesn't want to know.
- One-Scene Wonder: Sideshow Raheem, despite not really doing anything.
- Properly Paranoid: Rex, a more talented classmate who audition for the role of George Washington, suspected correctly that Miss Hoover was being blackmailed.
- Ralph Wiggum: This is the first episode to really showcase Ralph being himself (though, as mentioned above, he shows Hidden Depths of being a very good dramatic actor and he wasn't as dumb as he would be in the later episodes. In the early episodes, Ralph was just a little dim and socially awkward).
- The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson: Krusty shows clips of "classic" episodes, including an incarnation of the show suggesting that he once hosted a Tonight Show knockoff. The clip shown – a urine monkey relieving itself on Krusty's head, while a Joan Embry-type zoologist is a guest – is Springfield's version of a classic incident involving Carson and Embry's marmoset.
- Side Effects Include...: Bart's Krusty collection includes the Krusty Home Pregnancy Test, which "May Cause Birth Defects!"
- Special Guest: Michael Carrington (a writer for The Simpsons and Martin and host of the Nickelodeon game show Think Fast) as Sideshow Raheem
- Sure, Let's Go with That: Chief Wiggum's encounter with Krusty in a porno theater.
Krusty: Is this a bust?
Wiggum: Uh... yeah! That's just what it is, a bust!
- Title Drop: "I love Lisa Simpson!"
- You Don't Want to Know: Variation, in regards to Bart's plan to make sure Lisa doesn't have to go to the Krusty show with Ralph:
Bart: I'll go, disguised as you.
Lisa: What if he wants to hold hands?
Bart: I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.
Lisa: What if he wants a kiss?
Bart: I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.
Lisa: What if he—