There's something appealing about the idea of two sexy women
(or two sexy guys
) fighting, which leads to the popularity of the Catfight
and other related tropes. This trope takes that Up to Eleven
by having the combatants grappling in mud
. Despite its name, it doesn't have to be just mud; it can also be jello, pudding, or some other lubri
—-um, substance. The result is intentionally invoked Fetish Fuel
, unambiguous pandering
, and....and...sorry, what were we talking about, again?
Can result in Pass the Popcorn
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Girls Bravo - Occurs between Kosame and Kirie.
- Queen's Blade - Leina participates in several of these (but with oil instead of mud) to raise money for her travels.
- Happens twice in Naruto Veangance Revelations. In Chapter 14, Sakura slaps Taliana, then the two fight while rolling around in a "muddy pussy juice pool". In Chapter 32, Sakura delivers a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to Taliana in some mud.
- Stripes. While in a mud wrestling bar Private Dewey "Ox" Oxburger (John Candy) has a match against two female wrestlers, and ends up with both of their bikini tops.
- All the Marbles has a mud wrestling scene involving the two female wrestler characters.
- Happens in the 1999 film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Bubbleboy has a handicap match where one of his opponents is former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler.
- Mortal Kombat: Annihilation has Mileena vs. Sonya (which inspired the page quote).
- There's a highly gratuitous male-on-male one in Thor, between Thor and a bulky security guard. Complete with slo-mo and floodlights.
- In Thud, Angua and Sally square up for a fight in a muddy underground tunnel. Sally eventually notes that they could sell tickets.
- Subverted in John Varley's ''Wizard'', when Robin and Gaby settle a grievance by fighting a naked hand-to-hand duel in a muddy field. The incident is treated seriously, the descriptions focus on their combat tactics rather than Fanservice, and there are no witnesses around to gawk.
Live Action TV
- What most everyone can agree to is that mud matches always suck, some people like Ivory disagree, believing the fans should get about one comedy match a year but does not think they should be taken seriously or be a regular occurrence.
- The original Sheik vs Tiger Jeet Singh, which is incidentally one of the main reason for the negativity surrounding these. These two men were among the hardest of the hardcore wrestlers in history but were completely incapable of putting on a good mud match when they wrestled one in the 1970. Watching them stumble around like crazy and accidentally fall on their asses after attempting haymakers made this one of the worst worked matches of all time.
- The 1986 David Von Erich memorial card featured a mud wrestling match between Missy Hyatt and Sunshine.
- Trish Stratus and Stacy Keibler had a gravy bowl match on Raw to celebrate Thanksgiving. They managed to have a spot (Trish being thrown in from the stage) and it quickly ended with a submission hold.
- To Stacy celebrate Christmas Torrie and Stacy had an Eggnog match on Smackdown. There was a lot of slipping and sliding but attempts to do many wrestling moves anyway.
- Miss Hancock (Stacy again) had a mud match prior to those with Major Gunns in WCW and she seemed to have suffered some kind of injury from it. Not enough bad enough obviously to refuse more matches of the type.
- Rumble Roses has mud wrestling matches. Hardly surprising; it could have been called Fanservice Fighter.
- Leisure Suit Larry gets a lucky draw to wrestle a woman this way in Leisure Suit Larry 5.
- In Spellcasting 301, you have to help a girl win one of these as step one of a plan to win a wet t-shirt contest.
- Shortpacked! has Ethan fighting the Author Avatar, and Robin pushes them into a tub of pudding.
- Skin Horse: Tip and Konstantin mud-wrestling is eagerly observed by the female staff of Annex One, including lesbian Gerda and nonhumans Gavotte and Sweetheart.
- The contest to choose The Nostalgia Chick came down to three finalists, so the The Nostalgia Critic declared they would settle it by mud wrestling. All three women flatly refused, so he just chose Lindsay Ellis and the other two anyway. Then asked them if they'd do the mud wrestling anyway. Nope.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, there's a brief scene where Toph (an Earthbender) and Katara (a Waterbender) have an angry sparring match, with mud as the inevitable result.
- In an episode of Kim Possible, Kim and Shego have a fight in a spa that, at one point, has then wrestling in the mud bath.
- Beavis And Butthead once tried to get into a mud wrestling match, after practising between themselves.
- In Teen Titans Raven and Terra have a fight in a big pool of mud, and despite both having long range telekinetic powers, they do end up grappling hand to hand a couple times.
- In Family Guy, there's a scene where Peter visits a megamart and accidentally breaks a big jar of oil on the floor. Two women in American Gladiators style outfits wander by for no reason and get into a spontaneous oil wrestling match.