There's something appealing about the idea of two sexy women
(or two sexy guys
) fighting, which leads to the popularity of the Catfight
and other related tropes. This trope takes that Up to Eleven
by having the combatants grappling in mud
. Despite its name, it doesn't have to be just mud; it can also be jello, pudding, or some other lubri
—-um, substance. The result is intentionally invoked Fetish Fuel
, unambiguous pandering
, and....and...sorry, what were we talking about, again?
Can result in Pass the Popcorn
Subtrope of Fanservice Faux Fight
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Girls Bravo - Occurs between Kosame and Kirie.
- Queen's Blade - Leina participates in several of these (but with oil instead of mud) to raise money for her travels.
- Happens twice in Naruto Veangance Revelations. In Chapter 14, Sakura slaps Taliana, then the two fight while rolling around in a "muddy pussy juice pool". In Chapter 32, Sakura delivers a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown to Taliana in some mud.
- Stripes. While in a mud wrestling bar Private Dewey "Ox" Oxburger (John Candy) has a match against two female wrestlers, and ends up with both of their bikini tops.
- All the Marbles has a mud wrestling scene involving the two female wrestler characters.
- Happens in the 1999 film version of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Bubbleboy has a handicap match where one of his opponents is former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler.
- Mortal Kombat: Annihilation has Mileena vs. Sonya (which inspired the page quote).
- There's a highly gratuitous male-on-male one in Thor, between Thor and a bulky security guard. Complete with slo-mo and floodlights.
- Another male/male example with Neo and Smith in The Matrix Revolutions. The mud fighting scenes come near the end of the final battle and includes all too briefly some muddy grappling and straddling.
- In Thud, Angua and Sally square up for a fight in a muddy underground tunnel. Sally eventually notes that they could sell tickets.
- Subverted in John Varley's ''Wizard'', when Robin and Gaby settle a grievance by fighting a naked hand-to-hand duel in a muddy field. The incident is treated seriously, the descriptions focus on their combat tactics rather than Fanservice, and there are no witnesses around to gawk.
Live Action TV
- In the Quantum Leap episode "The Leaping of the Shrew," an argument between Sam and a girl soon degenerates into mud wrestling. Al, watching them, snarks, "You guys should wear bikinis and charge admission."
- Survivor features variations of this many, many times
- Fort Boyard has one challenge featuring mud wrestling, with the female contestant trying to get past the wrestler to grab a key and exit the room.
- As does its Spanish counterpart El gran juego de la oca, where a contestant must complete a challenge in the mud while being hindered by a female wrestler.
- Old School features this as one of the fraternity events.
- Community has two examples. In a fantasy sequence, Annie and Britta end up fighting in a pool full of foam while dressed in cheerleader uniforms. In a non-fantasy sequence, Annie and Britta are trying to raise money to help clean up with Gulf Oil Spill and end up getting the contents of a drum of oil dumped on them and then end up fighting. Much to their mutual disgust, they raise far more money unintentionally while wrestling than they did while asking people to help the environment.
- Drake & Josh has a twist on this in one episode with the two title characters wrestling not in mud but in a pool of chocolate milk.
- There's a male parody in the Robin of Sherwood episode "Alan a Dale", where Robin and Guy attempt to fight by a river but fall into the mud, and end up thrashing around for several minutes in a futile attempt to land blows on each other.
- Happens in Relic Hunter. You can check it out here.
- Another parody in The Daughters of Joshua Cabe Return. When a quarrel between the three titular sisters deteriorates into an all-out mudfight, the witness showing up is an elderly lady who positions herself at their front foor and, as Cabe finally comes around the corner of the house, calmly comments, "Can't make out who's winning!" The entire scene was edited out for the reruns.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: while watching Boggy Creek 2: The Legend Continues, Tom Servo gets quite excited when the two female cast members get their jeep stuck in the mud, in anticipation of this trope. When they do fall in the mud and start squabbling, Servo feels ashamed of himself and questions if this is what he really wants.
- In the final episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy gets annoyed over the mutual jealousy of her two vampire ex-boyfriends, and suggests putting them in a room together so they could fight out their frustrations. She then adds with a certain amount of relish, "There could be oil involved..."
- Buffy is complaining about her work at the fast food restaurant Doublemeat Palace.
Buffy: I could wrestle naked in grease for a living and still be cleaner than after a shift at the Doublemeat.
Plus, I'd visit you at work every single day.
- Jenny Calender tells Giles how she went to the Burning Man festival over the summer break which had, among other things, naked mud dances. The Stuffy Brit is noticeably distracted by this mental image.
- Referenced on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody when Zack witness a Catfight and wishes they were fighting in pudding.
- When it's Other Realm Election time in Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Hilda and Zelda disagree on an issue and end up mud wrestling.
- Referenced in Saved by the Bell: The College Years. Alex and Kelly are having a (staged) fight about Screech...
"Ladies, please settle this in a civilised way....mud wrestle for me!"
- Happens in Sir Arthur Conan Doyles The Lost World when Marguerite gets into a Cat Fight with the mind controlled Veronica and they fall into the only nearby mud pool.
- Lola and Zoey have one in Zoey 101. While wearing low-cut prom dresses.
- What most everyone can agree to is that mud matches always suck. Some people do disagree, Ivory even stating she believes the fans should get about one comedy match a year, yet even she does not think "substance" matches should be taken seriously or be a regular occurrence.
- The original Sheik vs Tiger Jeet Singh is incidentally one of the main reason for the negativity surrounding these. These two men were among the hardest of the hardcore wrestlers in history but were completely incapable of putting on a good mud match when they wrestled one in the 1970s. Watching them stumble around like crazy and accidentally fall on their asses after attempting haymakers made this one of the worst worked matches of all time.
- The 1986 David Von Erich memorial card featured a mud wrestling match between Missy Hyatt and Sunshine.
- Miss Hancock had a mud match prior to those with Major Gunns in WCW and she seemed to have suffered some kind of injury from it. Not enough bad enough to refuse more matches of the type though.
- Trish Stratus and Stacy Keibler (Miss Hancock again) had a gravy bowl match on Raw to celebrate Thanksgiving. They managed to have a spot (Trish being thrown in from the stage) and it quickly ended with a submission hold.
- To Stacy celebrate Christmas Torrie and Stacy had an Eggnog match on Smackdown. There was a lot of slipping and sliding but attempts to do many wrestling moves anyway.
- Before a comparatively normal match with manager Josť Chaparro in New Wrestling Star, the baby face Black Rose had to first beat Sexy Juliette The Huntress in a mud pool.
- Melina lost a "pudding match" to Candice Michelle at (the second) ECW One Night Stand.
- Santino Marella's "pig pin" match with Vickie Guerrero, excuse us, Santina's match, basically degenerated into this.
- Shortpacked! has Ethan fighting the Author Avatar, and Robin pushes them into a tub of pudding.
- Skin Horse: Tip and Konstantin mud-wrestling is eagerly observed by the female staff of Annex One, including lesbian Gerda and nonhumans Gavotte and Sweetheart.
- The contest to choose The Nostalgia Chick came down to three finalists, so the The Nostalgia Critic declared they would settle it by mud wrestling. All three women flatly refused, so he just chose Lindsay Ellis and the other two anyway. Then asked them if they'd do the mud wrestling anyway. Nope.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender, there's a brief scene where Toph (an Earthbender) and Katara (a Waterbender) have an angry sparring match, with mud as the inevitable result.
- In an episode of Kim Possible, Kim and Shego have a fight in a spa that, at one point, has then wrestling in the mud bath.
- Beavis And Butthead once tried to get into a mud wrestling match, after practising between themselves.
- In Teen Titans Raven and Terra have a fight in a big pool of mud, and despite both having long range telekinetic powers, they do end up grappling hand to hand a couple times.
- In Family Guy, there's a scene where Peter visits a megamart and accidentally breaks a big jar of oil on the floor. Two women in American Gladiators style outfits wander by for no reason and get into a spontaneous oil wrestling match.
- A non-Fanservice-y version takes place in The Smurfs episode "Mud Wrestling Smurfs", where the Wartmongers wrestle with each other in a mud-soaked pit, and when the Smurfs are captured investigating where the mud is coming from, one of the Smurfs has to go into the pit to wrestle a Wartmonger.