Guy-on-Guy Is Hot
"I have this "Jules and Jim" fantasy, definitely - you know, two men and a woman in love. And I remember reading in a magazine that the the high you get from falling in love only lasts about four years. So with two men, you might be able to make it last eight."Yes, yes, we all know Girl-on-Girl Is Hot. But what some authors are only just beginning to realize is that, for a growing number of women (and of course, men) Guy On Guy Is Hot. While not as strong in Real Life the way its Sister Trope is, it is nevertheless an existing mentality. It's the reason for the Boys Love Genre, and the times when Ho Yay is played intentionally for Fetish Fuel. Some authors adhere to this, or at least acknowledge its existence, and thus we get scenes of naked and half-naked men wrestling in mud, jello or oil. Just as often, though, there is a heavy Double Standard; straight men thinking Girl On Girl Is Hot will be taken for granted, whereas the female enjoyment of Guy-on-Guy will be treated as a perversion (see Yaoi Fangirl). Or, in the other direction, female characters will proudly declare their fascination with gay guys doing it while denouncing men who eroticize lesbians as exploitative perverts. There's often an element of But Not Too Gay to this trope: women may enjoy watching men wrestle and make out but unlike men in the reverse scenario it may be implied that they wouldn't find it sexy if the situation were to "escalate" (however, fanfiction.net and livejournal beg to differ)
— Dana Delany
open/close all folders
- These advertisements for Sherlock are a bit misleading. Sure, there is some slash fuel but not as much as is suggested (sadly).
- There was an ad for Jawbone cellphone accessories a few years ago in which a woman in a bar is annoyed by the obnoxious behavior of a rugby club that had just entered. Luckily, when she activated her Jawbone headset, it blocked out all extraneous noise... including the crowd's reaction when two of the rugby guys started aggressively sucking face while peeling off their clothes. The best part? All the other actors present were actual rugby players who didn't know what was going to happen until the final shoot. Their reactions were priceless.
- Abercrombie◊ and Fitch.
- These Armani ads.
- This Butterfinger cups commercial promotes bisexual mmf threesomes as a way to spice up a marriage.
- This Guiness commercial shows a bisexual MMMF foursome.
Anime & Manga
- This trope is a large part of Axis Powers Hetalia's raison d'être. France spends most of his time stripping and/or groping the other male characters, Italy has a habit of glomping or sleeping with Germany while naked, and the series even has its own resident Yaoi Fangirl, Hungary.
- Erika from Durarara!! thought that Shizuo and Izaya made a wonderful couple. Her friends disapproved but, surprisingly, Shinra agreed with her (or at least thought it made sense in some way. Celty forbade him from actually finishing that thought). Not to say this is the general reaction to most fans about this pairing in general. It also doesn't help that Narita finds enjoyment in teasing the ship.
- Ohno and Ogiue from Genshiken love their yaoi, although the latter is loath to admit it at first.
- Konohamaru's Sexy No Jutsu had two shadow clones transform into a nude Sasuke and Sai locked in a very suggestive pose. It got cut in the anime, but the manga version can be seen here. It even gave Sakura a nosebleed.
- In the English print of this manga scene, the male on male part was nearly blacked out entirely, while the girl on girl scene only needed a few extra clouds to censor naughty bits. Major Double Standard on VIZ's part. Remember kids; getting the hots for naked ladies together is okay, but you're not allowed to even look at two guys. EVER!
- There's also the infamous accidental kiss between Naruto and Sasuke. You could almost hear the simultaneous clacking of one thousand fangirls typing one thousand Slash Fics at the same time.
- For once played for drama in Ooku. When Shogun Tsunayoshi is developing God Save Us from the Queen! tendencies, she orders two of her male concubines to have sex for her entertainment, thinking they won't mind since she knows them to be lovers. They're so insulted at being used for voyeuristic thrills that they commit seppuku, giving her a salutory shock.
- This is Hikaru and Kaoru's entire shtick in Ouran High School Host Club, with the twincest angle to spice things up. And it's never entirely clear if it's just an act or not.
- Meirin of Black Butler certainly thinks this. Though with the amount of Bishōnen and Ho Yay that occurrs it's not like you could blame her. The series also has an abundance of real life yaoi fangirls.
- "don't u fik gay guyz r lik so hot!"
- This trope is the basis of about 99.9% of all Slash Fic.
- In Hurog fanfics, this trope is often used to solve the problem that Ward has a female love interest, who is much too likable to demote her to Ron the Death Eater or something like that, but Oreg is such a lonely, tortured guy and really deserves to find love. And heal from his PTSD. Of course, Ward would never cheat on his girlfriend... but if she tells him that she's okay with it if she's allowed to watch... One True Threesome ensues.
- See the plot to every Eating Out movie.
- In Get Smart, when Max appears to be humping a male Control agent (he's actually trying to pull him off the table), a guard, in a rare male example, walks by and looks a little too interested before being pulled away.
- In The Kids Are All Right, the lesbian couple enjoys watching gay porn together.
- In The Pink Panther Strikes Again, when Clouseau is attempting to revive Dreyfus at the insane asylum (from behind), two women think that he's attempting to make out with him. The older one snaps, "Don't look, Fiona!", but Fiona seems pretty eager to watch.
- In The Princess Diaries 2 (which is a Disney movie aimed at pre-teen girls, just so we're clear), there is a scene where Mia and her best friend Lilly are looking at prospective princes. Mia remarks that one prince shown is cute, to which her bodyguard Joseph replies, "His boyfriend thinks he's handsome also." Mia and Lilly's reaction is... enthusiastic.
Mia and Lilly: [punch the air] Right on.
- In Tamara, the title character brainwashes Shawn and Patrick into making out and having sex for her enjoyment, so that they can experience what it's like to be in the position of the girls who they exploited for sex.
- From The Waterboy:
Rita: Is there a girl you're seein'?
Bobby: Seein'? Uh I see a lot of girls...I see I lot of guys too.Rita: I think that's sexy, you ever been with a guy and a girl at the same time?
- In Run Fat Boy Run, Dennis and Gordon oversleep and have to race to the marathon in a cab, Dennis thrashing around trying to get dressed as they go. When they stop at a traffic light, they notice there's a woman looking into the cab at Dennis in his pants straddling Gordon... and she seems to be enjoying the show.
- Anita Blake. Two guys together gets Anita and Belle Morte off.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets annoyed with the mutual jealousy of her two vampire ex-boyfriends and suggests putting them in a room together then have them get naked and wrestle it out while she watches. When Spike says it's fine with him, her eyes widen with excitement and she adds, "There could be oil of some kind involved.". Note that this trope is a view held by much of the show's fanbase as well.
- Likewise vampire girls Darla and Drusilla openly enjoy the sight of Spike and Angel coming to blows, or as the DVD Commentary put it, "getting ready to ram their stakes through each other."
- Also Harmony in "Crush":
Harmony I told you: No threesomes Unless they're boy-boy-girl. Or Charlize Theron.note
- There was a skit on The Chris Rock Show where two men cross paths on the street and it looks like they're about to fight... and they make out instead. All you can hear from the audience is women squeeing. You can watch it here (even if the end was just spoiled out of necessity). While hilarious, the clip is sadly a case of artistic license, as racial bias and tension have long been a sore point in the gay community.
- Doctor Who, "Deep Breath": Strax scans Clara's subconscious and finds images of what he generously interprets as "young men playing sport."
Strax: Well... it could be sport...
- In the Farscape episode "Won't Get Fooled Again", one of the many crazy scenes involves a Camp Gay D'Argo propositioning John. Apparently Chiana wants to watch...
- In one Friends episode, Rachel had an Erotic Dream that featured Chandler. Later, it also included Joey, then Rachel mentions that sometimes it was just Chandler and Joey. The guys leer until they realise what that means.
- One of the Patients of the Week on Grey's Anatomy was a gay soldier. Once his boyfriend comes to visit him they are alone and proceed to make out. Meredith Grey walks by, and stares at them with much interest.
- In the Tudor Porn sketches in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Sir Philip's wife is fond of reading "Gay Boys in Bondage".
- Noah's Arc: Brandy finds two guys together quite sexy, though overall the trope goes without saying for the LGBT genre (at least on the male end).
- A meta-example: Queer as Folk was a show about gay men and their relationships and sex lives. Its primary audience was meant to be gay/bi men and, to a lesser extent, lesbians. Yet it gained a huge fanbase among straight women.
- Saturday Night Live has a recurring skit called the "Kissing Family" which features a considerable amount of intense guy-on-guy kissing. Inevitably there will be squeals of delight which overpower the laughter.
- Scrubs: Jordan believes this, and apparently isn't too fussy about the age of the men involved.
Jordan: We should have sex later.
Dr Cox: (unnerved) How did you get from that image to that thought?
- There was an episode of Sex and the City where the girls rent gay porn for this reason and watch it together.
- State of Play. A homosexual member of the newsroom mentions he just slept with the man they've been investigating. When he asks if they want him to go into detail the men immediately say "No!" while the female journalists have exactly the opposite response.
- These scenes from True Blood were probably inserted for this reason.
- Will and Grace:
Grace: Gay sex is so hot!
Jack: We'll have a steak, watch a movie... you like gay porn, right?
- And this:
Grace: Who doesn't?
- Oz: There are countless Internet spaces devoted to (mostly female) fans poring over the most squee-worthy moments between Beecher and Keller.
- Sunrise On 7: Apparently, reporter Edwina Barthowlmew thinks that gay sex is hot when she interviews A.J Roach of the Australian men's water polo team at the 2012 London Olympics:
A.J. Roach: It's a great spectacle. Especially guys running around in their speedos, wrestling and pressing up against each other. So it's a good sport to watch.
Edwina Barthowlmew: That sounds like the Greek Olympics.
- Subverted on Mad Tv: The Vancome Lady tells her gay neighbors who are dressed like pirates while trick or treating with their kids:
- Vancome Lady: And by the way, you two need to learn how to close your blinds alright, I'm tired of watching you two play bury the treasure."
- Why do Panic! at the Disco have so many fans, you ask? 1% for the awesome music and 99% for the Faux Yay/Ho Yay between all the hot guys. My Chemical Romance have a large female fanbase for the same reason.
- The Peaches song, "Two Guys (For Every Girl)" is about Peaches wanting to see her men have sex with each other.
- Take That used to do lots of Ho Yay moments that extended to naked pics in their early days as well, but they stopped because they want a wider audience. Needless to say, many of their female and gay male fans left.
- Try any Boy Band ever, really. The pretty boys, the Ho Yay, it's definitely part of the appeal, even for the girls who also want the guys for themselves.
- The Go-Gos' cover version of the Jan and Dean threesome song is about both kinds of two guy and one girl threesomes:
"And we go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Go to Surf City, gonna have some fun
Go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Go to Surf City, gonna have some fun
Go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Two boys for every girl"
- Britney Spears is suggesting a bisexual mmf threesome as well a bisexual mmmf foursome in "3":
"1, 2, 3
Peter, Paul and Mary
Gettin' down with 3P
Everybody loves counting, ohhh
- Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder... well, there's the "My First Slash" goal, the "I'm Not Gay I Swear" goal, the "Quite" goal, and then there's the pictures of "Life Threatening Illness" and "They fight crime" and then there's... basically, the game all but states Twilight loves this trope.
- In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, it turns out that the female half of the party is more than a little interested in the relationship between Valvatorez and Fenrich. Some of the Player Mooks even write Slash Fic.
- In Shadow Hearts: Covenant, after you beat The Great Gama in Joachim's sidequest, he passes on his abilities to Joachim by engaging in some off-screen gay sex with him in the wrestling ring right in front of the whole party. While Juri isn't especially thrilled to see this, Anastasia comments that she finds it "beautiful".
- In Deiz, one of the endings has a director kidnapping you and your best friend and forcing you to make out on camera because of this trope.
- In Exiern apparently Peonie used to find Guy on Guy Hot, until she imagined it involving her father.
Princess Peonie: Now Yaoi is Ruined For Me Forever.
The King: The pornographers of the Kingdom weep at the news, no doubt.
- Ménage à 3 uses this for its audience with Dillon and Matt as an early homosexual couple and more than enough random male homosexual couples making out. (Note that the comic ruthlessly avoids any hint of double standards; it provides guy-on-guy, girl-on-girl, and heterosexual fanservice.) Then there are the in-universe examples: Zii is quite obsessed with yaoi (though, to be fair, she does like bisexual and lesbian porn as well), and is sometimes distracted by those random gay couples on the street (it's Montreal — quite the boho city), while DiDi doesn't seem to dislike guy-on-guy action either. Straight guy Gary's occasional tendency to get distracted by the gay guys around him seems to be more of a mixture of naive curiosity and abstract aesthetics.
- In Questionable Content, Marten admits that Steve, on a drunken dare, gave him a huge kiss, tongue and all. Dora and Faye's reaction? "RECREATE THIS. NOW."
- This comic from Scandinavia and the World. A Yaoi surprise indeed.
- In order to force Ethan to get together with a guy who previously called him out on his jerkish behaviour, Robin adds a clause to the anti-cancer bill she's trying to get through Congress that will force the two to make out at least once a week. As soon as she does, the bill gains significant support among women.
- Amber repeatedly expresses enthusiasm for anything which results in two dudes getting it on.
- In Skin Horse, Tip and Konstantin mud-wrestling attracts quite an audience, including a Kinsey-Sevennote lesbian and a sapient swarm of bees.
- Sticky Dilly Buns, a spin-off from Ménage à 3 (see above), features the naive, virginal Ruby, who is doomed to a rapid education in life, including, early on, exposure to the sight of two gay guys having sex. She subsequently suffers flashbacks to the scene, and rapidly evolves into a Yaoi Fangirl (somewhat to her own confusion).
- In Our Little Adventure, Angelika seems to have this opinion and elaborates on it here.
- In El Goonish Shive, this is one of the reasons Sarah is shipping Justin and Luke.
Sarah: I really want to see them make out.
[Tedd and Grace stare at her]
Sarah: ... Because it would make Justin happy. And stuff.
- The Nostalgia Chick:
Todd: Why am I suddenly craving butter? ...Man Butter?
- On the forums, when asked, Lindsay Ellis responded that she enjoys gay porn but can't stand it when it has a plot.
- In her review of The Christmas Shoes, the 12-year old version of herself is shown writing a Slash Fic featuring Legolas and Aragorn.
- In her review of Kate and Leopold, Leopold's "fresh, creamery butter" line causes The Nostalgia Critic, Todd in the Shadows, Brental Floss, and some other guy to start craving Hugh Jackman's butter and doing suggestive things with buttersticks. Lampshaded, of course.
Critic: (strokes butterstick, then slaps self) No! You like boobs! ...and butter...
Javert: (singing about Valjean) He will bend, he will break...Lindsay: (singing as Javert about Valjean) He will bend over—ooh!
- And from her review of Les Misérables:
- Invoked in episode 7 of Sex House by the host, who tries to get Derek to have sex with Jay when both of them are intoxicated by the "cloudy drink."