"Oooh Dream Weaver, I believe you can get me through the night..."The protagonist's sexual dreams about a friend or enemy causes them to reassess their relationship, perhaps realizing they're actually in love with them. Or not, just as long as they're having them. If the content of the dream is homoerotic in nature, expect this to either be played for laughs or used to increase the psychological ramifications of the dream. See also, if they were denying UST before, Dreaming the Truth. If the other party is actually present thanks to Dream Walking or other magic, this becomes a Mental Affair.
— Gary Wright, "Dream Weaver"
open/close all folders
- The 'incredible dreams' adds for Goblin Teasmade. Unfortunately it's a case of Interrupted Intimacy, as the protagonist's teasmade always alarms whenever things get interesting.
Anime & Manga
- In Afterschool Charisma, Shiro has one of Marie Curie's clone in the fourth chapter. Ikkyu rudely wakes him up.
- In Ayakashi Koi Emaki, the youkai Kagura can only have his fully grown original body back when he is in Miko's dreamspace. Since Miko is a very cute girl and Kagura needs to feed on women's emotions to get his powers back, guess what he does...
- A Certain Magical Index:
- Mikoto dreams of Touma. The audience just sees her writhing and moaning in her bed, calling out for him.
- Later, Touma dreams of Kaori wearing Index's swimsuit.
- Also, Kuroko has a couple of dreams about Mikoto.
- At the start of Bokura no Hentai Parou has dreams of himself as a woman having sex with men. He thinks it's past memories from a previous life however it is foreshadowing the fact he has Repressed Memories of being molested as a child.
- Pierce Aogami from A Certain Scientific Railgun is selling these kinds of dreams in the form of Indian Poker even mentioning you can do with the two Tokiwadai Level 5s...unfortunately those two happened to hear them...
- In one Code Geass side story, Kallen is woken from such a dream about Zero; she was talking in her sleep, but luckily for her, her friend thinks she was talking about being on medication.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji has a particularly Mind Screw-ish dream (for the audience and himself), including erotic visions of Misato, Asuka, and Rei. Even when Shinji is dreaming of Asuka throwing herself at him, she still refers to him -affectionately- as "baka-Shinji" (stupid Shinji).
- In The Familiar of Zero Saito has a rather...strange dream of his master, Louise. What's worse is that it's while he's Asleep in Class so everyone hears what he says.
Saito: For the slave-driver you are in the day, you're such a sweet little thing in bed.
- Later, Louise winds up having what appears to be a rather intense dream about Saito as well, while Saito's getting caught up in a fight in the courtyard. Right when things are about to go too far, Louise arrives and blows up the entire courtyard in retaliation for interrupting such a great dream when she was "so CLOSE!"
- While never stated, in the 37th episode of the 2003 anime version of Fullmetal Alchemist, Riza has a pretty... suggestive sounding dream. She wakes up to her dog, Black Hayate, licking her foot to get her to give him food.
- Great Teacher Onizuka manga: Anko dreamed about Noburo during the Okinawa trip. This was replaced in the anime with him walking in on her from the bath because apparently this was more acceptable on TV.
- Hayate the Combat Butler anime had a SFW version with Hinagiku dreaming of what Hayate would give her for her birthday. She wakes up just before he kisses her, and it's implied that this isn't the first dream of it's type she's had.
- Heaven's Lost Property: A Journey to the Center of the Mind reveals that Mitsuki Sohara experiences dreams of willingly doing very naughty things with Tomoki, to which she firmly and violently denies. Apparently, she's very chaste, or so she'd like the others to believe.
- High School of the Dead has three such scenes, with the latter two being in the OVA.
- In the 7th episode, Saya's shown sleeping on the couch with her legs spread, while dreaming of Hirano. Then her thought bubble dips between her legs and wiggles, causing her to blush and moan. The scene only lasts a few seconds and is the closest the series comes to showing onscreen sex.
- The "Drifters of the Dead" OVA is a Beach Episode where the group falls under the effects of hallucinogenic smoke. During which, Takashi thought he was having sex with Saeko, with the scene cutting away just as they get started.
- Saya is the first to recover, the following morning, and finds Hirano humping a broomstick while thinking it was HER! Meaning, both of them have dreamt about having sex with each other. Not that Saya was ever gonna admit that.
- In Is This a Zombie?, Haruna has one of Ayumu destroying her clothes and then seducing her. She's at first terrified and embarrassed, but then starts enjoying it. When she wakes up, she angrily runs into his room and beats him up, calling him a pervert and ignoring his protests that he didn't do anything.
- Played with in the Lucky Star OVA, when Kagami dreams about Konata casting a spell on her house. To undo the spell, Dream-Konata tells her that she must call out a certain phrase, which she does as she wakes up, only to find her sister staring at her with the wrong idea about what just happened. Specifically, Kagami wakes up saying "I want to *BLEEP* with Konata."
- Maken-ki!: Used as a Running Gag in three of its omake chapters, two of which focus on Usui's lust for Himegami:
- In the 61.5 chapter, he dreams of being the principal at Tenbi Academy and how he'd change the rules to satisfy his sexual desires. It ends with him dry humping his matress, while his dream self is being punished by Himegami, who turns out to be the real principal.
- The 66.5 chapter has him dreaming of being a hospital director, with Himegami as his nurse secretary. During which, he brings her to orgasm by giving her a medical exam and ends with Usui humping his matress again.
- Chapter 84.5 changes things by having him dream of Haruko and Love Espada instead. This time, he's a film director with the girls as his actresses. But instead of filming a love story, like he claims, he has them compete fanservicey mini-games while wearing sling bikinis. It ends with him being relieved of as director by Himegami, who punishes him again.
- The protagonist of Nozomu Nozomi has one of these. He's turned into a girl and dreams he changed back, and is having sex with his crush. Half-way through it turns into a Homoerotic Dream, as he imagines himself as a girl having sex with a boy he's growing attracted to.
- Naturally, Ayato in RahXephon has a similar erotic (although it's a bit more complicated than that) dream about Haruka
- In Ranma ½, the titular character's subconscious must either hate him for getting his curse, or has way too much fun with it, as his erotic dreams are inevitably Catapult Nightmares due to technically being Homoerotic Dreams:
- Almost at the beginning of the manga, Ranma had a dream about a mountain-sized Kuno grasping him (in female form, naked) while volcanoes erupted and jet fighters bombed a city. The anime version merely had him (again, naked in female form) in a pool, with Kuno offering his suddenly very phallic wooden sword ("Grab onto this!"); upon refusing, "she" sank to a reef at the bottom of the pool, only to be surrounded by countless naked Kunos (and this was after he had Kuno repeating his declaration of love to male-Ranma, including at one point where they were both naked in the bath). Both times, he woke up screaming his head off.
- Once, a dying man named Harumaki sent out his astral projection to haunt Ranma's dreams. The reason: seeing female-Ranma reminded him of his love, Gyoko. The result: Ranma would dream about being on a date with a (seemingly) handsome boy, only for him to turn into the wrinkly, bug-eyed old man as they leaned in for a kiss. The art implied that Ranma woke up screaming because the kiss had been consummated.
- Akane herself experienced a unique dream once, when cursed to sleep endlessly by a magical incense burner. Not only did she (as the heroine of the dream) expressed definite love for Ranma, but she also saw the competition as cruel dominatrixes (an especially disturbing case with Kodachi,) and, when a Knight in Shining Armor Ranma came to rescue her, she didn't complain much when he brought her down for an amorous tryst.
- Tsukune has a few in Rosario + Vampire, but he calls himself "The lowest of the low" for doing so when he wakes up.
- Subverted in Saikano: Shuji has a nightmare in which Chise appears in full-on Ultimate Weapon mode and threatens to kill him; confused, he turns and sees Fuyumi naked in bed beside him.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann High School A.U. Guren Gakuenhen has Simon dreaming about Nia this way. Specifically, a naked Nia saying "Okay, Simon... let's gattai!" while in his house.
- He wakes up and the last part turns out to be true.
- Shiki is deliberately given an erotic dream by Arcueid in Tsukihime, as thanks for his assistance. Unfortunately, who he dreams about is the source of much grief for Shiki, since it winds up being about Arcueid. In the anime, the dream itself soon turns into a nightmare when Arcueid makes it clear she wants Shiki's blood (the manga and game went with the sex). In the visual novel, though, you can actually choose who you want the dream to be about. Note that Shiki is awakened every morning by Hisui, one of the maids. It's apparently pretty clear what Shiki's dreaming about as he sleeps. (Unless he dreams about her.)
- Shirou in Fate/stay night gets one about Rin as well. Interestingly enough it's not in Rin's route. Except when she opens her eyes her eyes are different. When Rider takes off the visor and you see the same eyes it becomes clear it was Rider in the dream disguised as Rin.
- It's inverted in Kagetsu Tohya, the Tsukihime side story. Len actually has an erotic dream about Shiki where he can do nothing but watch.
- Being a healthy young man, Rito from To Love-Ru has a couple.
- One notable instance in the first series is when Rito was dreaming about Haruna, which lead to an Almost Kiss between Rito and Lala because she was in his bed again.
- An anime-only memorable instance is actually an induced hallucination, featuring Rito, Haruna, and Lala.
- By the sequel "Darkness", naturally even the dreams are Hotter and Sexier.
- Mea accidentally create one when she enters in Rito's dream with her ability and recreate the bath scene with Momo and Rito naked from the end of chapter 1 (she take the role of Momo).
- In Chapter 35 he has a dream about Haruna, Lala and Run naked in the bath and kissing him.
- In Chapter 73, he has a dream about pushing Momo down and grabbing her breasts on purpose (while it actually was Lala in his futon at the time).
- Played for laughs in Welcome to the N.H.K., where Sato decides to mess with Misaki when she plans on using a book of Freud's to analyze his dreams. The dream Sato tells her is replete with phallic (and to a lesser extent yonic) imagery, causing her to eventually turn beet-red after she finishes analysing it.
- After Tetsuo from Yuureitou reveals to Taichi that he is assigned female and is the Reiko person they've been looking for Taichi has a dream where Tetsuo is a Sweet Polly Oliver coming onto him.
- An elaborate example opens the XXXenophile story "Net Dreams".
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Buffy has a sex dream involving both Angel and Spike. With her in a Naughty Nurse Outfit.
- In Watchmen, Dan has one about a villainess he once defeated. First he sees himself with the villainess, then with naked Laurie... then they tear their skins off, revealing their costumes underneath. In the movie, they cut out the first bit, because they'd cut out the character. Andddd then a bomb goes off.
- Little Ego is an adult-oriented, erotic parody of the classic Little Nemo comics written and drawn by Vittorio Giardino. The main character, called Ego, is a woman seemingly in her middle twenties. As in Little Nemo, each story is about her having a dream, and she wakes up in the last panel. Whereas Little Nemo talked to his mother after waking up, Little Ego thinks what she will tell her psychoanalyst. Every story in the Little Ego comic book involves erotic imagery, with Ego appearing half-naked or fully naked in at least one point. She has sexual intercourse with men, with other women, and even with plants and animals.
- It's suggestive rather than outright porn most of the time — but VERY suggestive — and all in all, a lot better than this description sounds.
- In Zatanna #16 (the final issue of the 2011 series), a seriously sleep-deprived Zee is woken from a dream involving two hunky men and a tub of cocoa butter when Uriah breaks into her library. She spends the rest of the issue trying to deal with the pest as quickly as possible so she can get back to the dream.
- During the "Dead End Kids" arc of Runaways, Victor has a dream about Lillie. While we only see the part where they kiss, it's implied that it gets a lot more erotic just as Molly wakes him up. Since their current living arrangements during that arc don't offer much privacy, he's awkwardly forced to try and explain away his moaning.
- A very dark variant is featured in Lady Death, where Hope has a dream with the very handsome demon Azlando, whom she has unrequited feelings for, but its implied that he can't return them. She wakes up right next to him and finds out to her horror that she had brutally killed him.
- Issue 3 (Volume 2) of Birds of Prey has The Penguin, while knocked, dream about getting some of Huntress, Black Canary, Dove and Lady Blackhawk. Naturally the girls are disgusted.
- Paige has these all the time, usually involving her being romanced by a handsome Frenchman named Pierre. One dream, however, involved Pierre and a Dashing Hispanic named Juan Carlos fighting over her, the last panel of the strip revealing Andy and Roger discussing that she was trying to decide whether to take French or Spanish in the new semester.
- One 1998 Story Arc was about Jason having one of these about Lara Croft. Jason hates girls, however due to the beliefs kids his age have, so he spent the whole dream trying to get away from her. Needless to say, Peter was upset that he didn't get the dream instead.
Jason: Oh man Peter, I had the worst dream ever last night.
Jason: I dreamed that Lara Croft from "Tomb Raider" was determined to make me her boyfriend or something. It was like eight straight hours of misery. She just would not leave me alone. She even threw herself on top of me four or five times. Judging by the look on your face, I'm guessing you had lousy dreams,too.
Peter: Jason, are you familiar with the extra little prayer I say each night before bedtime?
- Peter did have one in a Sunday strip, two Sports Illustrated swimsuit models were fawning over him. As bad luck would have it, they were about to ditch their bikini tops just as his alarm went off.
- Rat from Pearls Before Swine is often seen having these. One strip implied he was having one about Winona Ryder, and an early Sunday Strip about his alarm clock had him dreaming about "The Land of Naked Supermodels".
- An innocent version of this trope occurred in Peanuts, when Lucy went to Linus's room because he was loudly talking in his sleep and she saw he was having an apparently romantic dream about his schoolteacher: "Yes, Miss Othmar, ... why, Miss Othmar."
- Pick a fandom, any fandom. Some romantic fanfic will have used this at some point. Counts double if it's got at least one character who has some sort of telekinesis, telepathy, mind control powers, hypnotism, or connection to dream imagery. There's a fanfic out there that features Sheldon Sands from Once Upon a Time in Mexico with the Corinthian. Who, surprisingly, doesn't have all that much fic out there utilizing this trope.
- Happens to the main characters (Brownie and Rainbow Dash) in Rainbow in the Dark.
- A Glass of Wine, a NGE fanfic, takes a bit unexpected turn. After Hikari jolting upright in the middle of the night drenched in sweat...
In the dim moon light filtering through the blinds Asuka noticed the condition of Hikari's lower region and understood the ordeal she was bearing. (If you really have to know, she dreamed of the main cast doing an orgy in the classroom after subjecting her to some mild bondage. Rei was the domina. And to think Hikari's the most innocent girl in the entire cast... wonder how she knows so much about it.)"That must have been some dream… I want details."
- A Crown of Stars: Shinji often had erotic dreams about Asuka before their reunion when he was forced to remain in Boston.
- The Child of Love was inspired by a lemon fanfiction where Shinji had erotic dreams about Asuka. In chapter 5, Asuka reveals that she had erotic dreams starring Shinji.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide: In chapter 10 Shinji reveals that he's had dreams where Asuka came in his room and had sex with him.
He thought he was dreaming. He had to be for Asuka to have come in his room in the middle of the night. He'd had dreams like this before. The next she would do was was put a hand down the front of his pants and start to… followed by her mouth…
But when he did feel her hand it was on his shoulder. "Hey, Shinji, are you awake?"
There was a part of him that wanted to ignore her, hoping she would do what she always did in his dream, but as he rolled the words in his head he picked up on something that was never in the dream before.
“Y-yes,” he replied as he rolled over to Asuka, who indeed sat on the edge of his bed. He could barely see her in the darkness, but the tone of her voice was awkward. Also not like in his dream, her hair was tousled and he thought he could smell sweat.
And then, like a bucket of cold water, it hit him—he was an idiot and this was no dream.
- Blissful Dream is a pretty graphic example of an erotic dream, where we get to see inside the mind of the dreamer.
- One Haruhi Suzumiya Doujin suggests that Yuki's "irregularities" in Disappearance are increasingly explicit dreams featuring her and Kyon (who she is not allowed to romance or even have sex with for fear of causing Haruhi to be jealous and therefore cause a world-ending apocalypse).
- In Luna's Power and Rainbow's Love, Rainbow Dash starts having what are implied to be erotic dreams after realizing she's in love with Fluttershy.
- In the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX PWP fic Jaden Gets Lucky, Asuka has an extremely graphic sex dream about Judai.
- A Running Gag in Weiss Reacts is for Yang to tease people by implying she hears people have these. Surprisingly, Ruby has a great load of these, especially about Weiss.
- The Miraculous Ladybug fic Name Drop:
“Yeah…so is this the dressing room dream or the wedding night dream or the making out on top of the Eiffel Tower dream or the “gosh Ladybug there’s only one bed and no heater we’re going to have to share bodyheat somehow” dream or-”
- Hefty tells Papa Smurf that he had one with Smurfette, which caused him to have a "physical reaction", in the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "I Dream Of Smurfette", from which Papa Smurf discerns that Hefty had his first "Smurfette dream".
- X-Men: The Early Years: In "Boy Scouts, Sex, and Other Mysterious Things", Cyclops has one involving a naked Jean Grey and a shower.
Films — Animation
- It's a very brief moment, but in Shrek Donkey falls asleep and his dialogue shows the viewer that he isn't dreaming about anything even remotely innocent. The title character wakes him before it gets too racy.
- Tarzan features a scene where Porter calls whoever it is he's dreaming about a tease, shortly after fainting.
Films — Live-Action
- The norwegian movie Turn Me On Dammit is pretty much about a teenage girl and her erotic dreams.
- Roy gets one in both Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights. In the former, he dreams that he's in a saloon with a number of gorgeous women, one of whom begins to bite his ear as he tells them of his adventures. He awakens to find himself buried up to his neck in the ground with a vulture nibbling his ear. In the latter, he dreams that he's in a room with a number of gorgeous women and his friend's sister. He suggests that the two try some positions from the Kama Sutra and she begins to lick his face, only for him to wake up and discover that he fell asleep in a car and a sheep climbed in and was licking him.
- Perhan and Azra in Dom za vensanje (Time of the Gypsies.) ...or was it a dream?
- Ali G Indahouse opens with one, which ends when Ali awakens to find his dog performing upon him the same act that the young lady in the dream had been.
- One very famous erotic dream comes from the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High, in which the character Brad fantasizes about his sister's hot friend (played by Phoebe Cates) stepping out of the swimming pool and slowly removing her bikini top. This scene has been parodied by both Family Guy and The Man Show as well as Scrubs.
- In Hackers, incredibly attractive hacker Acid Burn (played by a young Angelina Jolie) has an especially erotic dream about her main competitor, Zero Cool.
- The superintendent of a women's prison in the Exploitation Film Caged Heat keeps having erotic dreams throughout the movie.
- In the film American Beauty, when 40-year old Lester meets his daughter's 17-year-old friend Angela, he starts having these about her immediately (including daydreams). These inspire him into making huge life changes which further alienate his family, but inspire them into making changes in their own lives.
- The opening shower scene in Dressed to Kill is a extremely graphic example.
- In Keeping the Faith, Brian starts to have one but wakes up abruptly. You see, for a principled priest, erotic dreams are Bad Dreams.
- Inverted/invoked in Dreamscape, in which the Dream Weaver Alex Gardner uses his powers to enter Jane's dream to make out with her, without telling her it's not just a random dream she's having about him. She quickly forgives him when she finds out, but this seems strange since it could easily be construed as rape by fraud (he deluded her on purpose and she didn't give consent).
- In Hellraiser: Bloodline, John Merchant has sex with the villainess Angelique in his dreams, which she deliberately sends John in an attempt to seduce him.
- The Wolfman (2010). During one of Lawrence's hallucinations in the asylum, we see a back-naked Gwen for a few moments, foreshadowing to his growing feelings toward her and a possible subconscious desire to be with her.
- The Golden Child. After the Big Bad threatens the hero in a dream, the pretty Kee Nang informs him That Was Not a Dream...except for the bit where she was scantily-clad and suggested they get together and "let nature take its course".
- The Bitter Tea of General Yen has Megan Davis, a missionary, have an erotic dream about her captor, General Yen. Yup. A film from 1933.
- Carefree has a G-rated version: Amanda dreams of dancing with Tony through a fairytale landscape, ending with a Hollywood Kiss. In the context of the story, it functions as an Erotic Dream (it leads to a Love Epiphany for Amanda, and she's far too embarrassed to tell Tony about it when he asks her).
- In Performance Anxiety, the co-lead, Jeff enjoys a weird one of these (little dancing girl included) while his boyfriend is away at work.
- Mon Oncle Antoine: Benoit, a teenaged boy awash in hormones, has a dream in which beautiful older woman Alexandrine appears topless and jumps up and down for him.
- According to the Title Sequence of the theatrical version of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Buck Roger spent 504 years as Rip Van Winkle IN SPACE! dreaming about gorgeous babes in Space Clothes. No wonder he didn't wake up for five centuries!
- A rather poorly-timed one occurs in Forbidden Zone, when the king of the sixth dimension screams orgasmically for Frenchie, the recently-captured intruder, while taking a post-coitus nap next to his queen!
- Ghostbusters (1984) where a Cute Ghost Girl lives with Ray at the haunted house.
- Tamara opens with Tamara having an erotic dream about her English teacher Mr. Votally. However, just as the dream is about to get to the good part, it turns into a nightmare as Tamara realises her entire class is watching and laughing.
- In A Brother's Price Jerin has some of those after his first sexual experience ... it is a good thing that he is the one who has to wash the bedsheets, anyway.
- In The Ghost Writer, sometime after Gerard Freeman started the pen-friendship romance with Alice Jessell, he has one of these where he had sex with her. He told Alice about this in his letter. Alice's reply letter has her claimed that she had similar dream roughly at the same time.
- The erotic dream is just one of many dream themes played out in Adam R. Brown's Astral Dawn. Caspian, the main protagonist, has a sexual encounter with Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of love and the moon. This all takes place within her dream realm, an inner dimension within Celestial City, and all while Caspian experiences what he believes to be the most amazing dream he's ever had in his life.
- Older Than Steam: In Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene, the Redcross Knight's erotic dream about his ward, Princess Una (albeit magically induced), is the start of his long spiral down the road of sin and despair.
- In The Giver, 12-year old Jonas dreams of his bathing his "favorite female friend," Fiona. He doesn't understand what it means due to sex being nonexistent in his society. After he tells his parents of the dream his mother starts giving him pills to supress his sexuality. The film adaptation removed the scene despite Age Lifting both kids and giving Fiona a bigger role.
- Rand from The Wheel of Time has a (to him, at the time) particularly odd dream wherein Min and Elayne are naked and inviting him to swim with them in a nearby pond. Unfortunately, he's interrupted by his past-life incarnation's ex-girlfriend stepping into his dream. The dream becomes recurring, and Aviendha joins Min and Elayne in it once he meets her.
- In Belgarath the Sorcerer, Riva is visited in a dream by the god Belar, who gives him instructions. Unfortunately, Belar chose the wrong dream to interrupt, and as a result had to talk extra loud to keep Riva's attention. In this case, the erotic dream is also very important, as Riva is dreaming about his destined wife — Belgarath's (as yet unborn) daughter Beldaran.
Riva: She was really beautiful, blonde hair, dark eyes, and would you believe she had no clothes o—
Belgarath: Riva! Forget about the girl! What did Belar say?!
- House of Leaves. Johnny has a bunch of these over Thumper. They are eventually crowded out by the nightmares.
- Happens to Harry in Harry Potter, when Ginny "began cropping up in his dreams in ways that made him devoutly thankful that Ron could not perform Legilimency."
- Used to disturbing effect in the Ciaphas Cain novel The Traitor's Hand, where Cain starts having erotic nightmares about Emeli, a Slaaneshi sorceress he killed in a previous short story. It foreshadows how she is returning as a Daemon Princess to the world he's fighting to defend.
- Stingo, the protagonist of Sophie's Choice has one about a girl he grew up with. It comes across as terrifying both to him and the reader, since the girl had just committed suicide.
- In Bryan Miranda's The Journey to Atlantis, Max and Stacie both have the same dream in which they are laying on a beautiful beach in each other's arms. While they don't go all the way (they never actually even kiss), everything was leading up to until they woke up.
- Daisy Calloway has several dreams about Ryke Meadows in Hothouse Flower. She doesn't remember them when she wakes up, and when they begin dating, she no longer has them.
- In The Dream Thieves, Ronan is heavily implied to have had sexual dreams about Adam.
- Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms: In The Fairy Godmother, Elena and Alexander have them about each other, going all the way, featuring "a shore of purple sand by an amethyst sea beneath a silver sky with three azure moons". To not break the no lewdness policy, here's just the start:
Then her heart started to pound, and her skin came alive, so that she was acutely aware of the brush of his fingers against it, the touch of the warm breeze on her face. She felt her stomach tighten, and when he bent his head down to hers and she lifted hers to meet his and their lips met, she felt as if lightning had jumped between them, or maybe the spark of life itself, though she could not have told if it went from her into him or the other way around.
- Timothy Cavendish of Cloud Atlas has a few of these about the author of a book he's editing, who goes by the name Hilary. They stop after they meet and it turns out Hilary is a guy.
- Subverted in The Divine Comedy in Canto XIX of Purgatorio. Dante is being seduced by the Enthralling Siren his dream conjured until Virgil appears in the dream at the call of a "saintly lady" and rips the Siren's garments, causing a deathly stench to emanate from her naked belly and immediately wake the now-disturbed Dante.
- In the Song of Songs from The Bible, the Shulamite has two erotic dreams:
- The first is about meeting her Beloved on the street and taking him straight into the bedroom of her home.
- The second is about having an encounter with her Beloved late at night when he pays her a visit at her house, and while she fusses over her appearance, the Beloved is already working the handles of the door lock — apparently a lot of figurative language going on as to what's actually happening (or what she's dreaming is happening). By the time she opens the door, the Beloved is gone, and the Shulamite goes out into the night to find him, only to encounter the watchmen of the walls who subject her to some Police Brutality while she cries out "Please tell the one my soul loves that I am lovesick."
- One Tree Hill: Lucas dreams about making out on his bed with his on-again-off-again girlfriend, Brooke. As he tries to roll the two of them to switch positions the dream stops abruptly when Lucas accidentally falls out of bed in real life. Physically tense because of his dream, Lucas takes a cold shower, where he is confronted by the real life Brooke who is upset that he is using too much hot water. From outside the shower curtain, she reaches a hand under the shower tap and is surprised to find cold water. Horrified to realize what she's interrupted, she makes fun of Lucas for taking a cold shower and having a wet dream, but incorrectly assumes he was dreaming about her romantic rival Peyton.
- Xena: Warrior Princess: Xena dreams of Ares in "Eternal Bonds". See also UST and Slap-Slap-Kiss.
- Just Shoot Me!: Maya dreams about sex with Eliot, and then Eliot of sex with Maya as part of their romantic arc.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Spike's erotic dream about Buffy serves as a Love Epiphany that his obsession with her is no mere Foe Yay. And in "Dead Things" Buffy dreams of having sex with a handcuffed Spike, showing her feelings of guilt at using and being used by him.
- In the episode "Restless" Xander dreams about Willow making out with her girlfriend Tara, and Buffy's mom wearing a red nightgown trying to seduce him. In "Dirty Girls", Xander dreams that two of the teenaged Potentials want to have sex with him (and each other). Then he's woken by the same girls griping about a blocked toilet.
- Buffy and Angel have a shared sexual dream in "Amends"... then Angel vamps out and bites her (in the dream). They do end up getting back together at the end of the episode, but not sexually. Note that this dream was brought on by the First Evil. It wants to get them to have sex in reality, which will cause Angel to turn evil again.
Giles: You had another dream, with Angel? What happened?
Buffy: [long pause] We don't need to get sidetracked...
- "Hush" begins with Buffy and Riley kissing in front of the whole class until a creepy girl starts singing about The Gentlemen.
- Cheers: Rebecca is disgusted by her dreams about "dancing on [her] back with Sam Malone." She laments that she should be having erotic dreams about men she is actually attracted to, like Donald Trump.
- In one episode of Home Improvement, Jill confides in Tim that she has dreams like this all the time about Tarzan. Tim thinks this is silly at first, but Wilson, ever the voice of reason, helps him analyze it, suggesting that if she's dreaming of Tarzan, she would be playing the part of Jane, resulting in two people with the same first name initials as the two of them. (At the end of the episode, Tim tries to impress her with a Tarzan costume; which might have worked better if it wasn't the middle of winter.)
- The Vampire Diaries: Elena has an erotic dream about making out and almost having sex with Stefan in 1x03 "Friday Night Bites". However, Elena's pleasurable, erotic dream ends up going south when Damon invades her dream, with Elena waking up panicking afterwards, scared and shaken up by Damon's presence in her dream.
- Ellen: Ellen dreams that after Adam does some odd jobs around her apartment and she repays him with a passionate kiss, and starts wondering if she should date her old friend. Of course we all know where that went.
- In the episode "The One with the Ick Factor" Ross is jealous after Rachel dreams about sex with Chandler, and then sex with both Chandler and Joey. When she finally dreams about him, he dances on a table with joy.
- In "The One with the Cop", Joey has a dream about Monica, which is not really erotic, but she's his girlfriend in it. He first thinks that the dream means that he's in love with her, but Monica explains that he just envied the close relationship he saw between her and Chandler.
- In "The One with Rachel's Dream", Rachel has a dream where she kisses Joey, which makes her realize that she has feelings for him.
- Frasier: Frasier dreams of Gil, (and questions his sexuality). He finally decides that his subconscious was simply providing him with a puzzle to solve to relieve his boredom. In his next dream, Sigmund Freud shows about to congratulate him on figuring it all out before himself coming on to Frasier.
- Roseanne: David dreams about Roseanne, his girlfriend's mother.
- Turk dreams of Elliott, but it's only played for laughs. The episode ends with Carla dreaming about Ted.
- In the final season, we see Ted throw his new girlfriend, Stephanie Gooch, down onto a bed. She then asks if they're going to do it, but Ted points out, it isn't his fantasy, it's just one of J.D's daydreams. He then decides "Screw it" and they start having sex, much to J.D's chagrin.
- In the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode "The Blind Date" Jeff tells to Larry, that when he was fantasizing about Jenna Jameson while masturbating, Cheryl, Larry's wife "popped in", and doesn't understand why Larry isn't happy to find it out. Later, when Larry fantasizes about Cady Huffman, she suddenly turns into Jeff's wife, Susie, shocking Larry, since they can't stand each other.
- Battlestar Galactica: Kara Thrace dreams about having sex with Leoben (Paint!sex), the Cylon who is obsessed with her, in her old apartment on Caprica. This ties in to her role in a cosmic plan that Leoben (or an angel that took his form) set out to guide her on.
- Played for laughs on an episode of That '70s Show, when Fez has a dream about Kelso. Played for laughs again in the same episode when Kelso has a dream about... Kelso.
- In the episode "Eric's Corvette Caper", Kelso thinks he's having one of these, when Jackie and Donna sneak into the room he's sleeping in.
- I'm Alan Partridge: Whilst it doesn't exactly make him reassess his relationships with them (he's far too shallow for that), the erotic daydream that Alan Partridge frequently segues into in the first season of this show certainly reveals much to the audience in more ways than one; dressed in a leather codpiece and a jumper with the nipples cut out, Alan offers to do a lapdance for a variety of men - all of whom, significantly enough, have a certain amount of influence in determining the future of Alan's career in television.
- In one episode of Red Dwarf after Rimmer has left, Lister dreams about him returning and being far friendlier than before. They end up hugging, saying how much they missed each other and then kissing. Cut to Lister waking up, screaming and falling out of bed, the incident makes him seek medical help.
- In an episode of Northern Exposure, the yearly "cracking of the ice" on a nearby river causes general goofiness; in the case of Joel and Maggie, they have erotic dreams about each other.
- In another episode, Joel has a dream that starts out as a pitch-perfect remake of the video to Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible" - until the song stops mid-note and the dancing models try hitting on him.
- The Russian Flu inverts the trope as Joel keeps having dreams about interacting with various Cicelians who always keep referring to Elaine (then Joel's fiancee) as his sister. The final dream ends with Maggie showing up as his wife.
- Degrassi Junior High, naturally, dealt with this when one of the characters was having erotic dreams and wondered if something was wrong with him.
- Comedy example from Mutual Friends (a UK comedy drama series). Marc Warren's character has gotten back with his wife, Jen, played by Keeley Hawes. One of their friends and their family is staying after having their house repossessed. Despite his attempts, Jen is not up to rekindle things in the bedroom. He goes to sleep and dreams of her in a sexy nightie, pouring champagne over herself and him. He wakes up with a jolt- one of the kids is urinating on the bed.
- Michael and Isabel have these dreams about each other in Roswell, at a point where they've just been told they're destined to be together.
- Ned, in Pushing Daisies, has an upsetting (to him) dream involving his girlfriend Chuck turning into Olive.
- Drop the Dead Donkey. Pointy-Haired Boss Gus Hedges starts having erotic dreams about office hottie Joy, so he asks Handsome Lech Dave for help, promising to be "financially grateful". Realising his boss is a stuck-up virgin Dave sets him up with a professional 'sex counsellor' (actually a prostitute) and the problem is resolved. Dave turns up for the promised pay rise the next day, only Gus has fallen asleep and is having a Homoerotic Dream about Dave, who is immediately thrown out of the office the moment Gus wakes up.
- Star Trek: Enterprise. In the universally reviled "A Night in Sickbay", Captain Archer has a dream involving sexy Vulcan T'Pol in the Decontamination Chamber.
- A Different World: Whitley has an erotic dream about Dwayne (this was long before they actually hooked up). She was slightly freaked by the... vividness of the dreams (especially since she was a virgin at the time).
- In the Married... with Children episode "Nightmare on Al's Street", Marcy has several erotic dreams about Al, much to her horror and disgust. She eventually realizes that the dreams are a subconscious way of punishing herself, because she refused to admit to Al that he was right about something. At the end, Al ends up having a dream about her, which shocks him equally. (Of course, Al has some weird ideas of what these dreams are supposed to be like. In the same episode, he yells at Marcie, "Why can't you have normal dreams, like where women with four breasts feed you Ding-Dongs?")
- Lexx: Stanley's erotic dreams typically derail into nightmares. This is as much due to the kind of woman he tends to meet as his own subconscious self-loathing.
- Sam has one of these featuring Bela, and is very flustered when he figures out who he's been dreaming about (after waking up with an extremely dopey grin on his face). His face wasn't the only thing grinning. No joke, this is actually referenced when Dean calls him over as he's waking up. Sam starts to rise, then glances down and hesitates, using a stretch to cover for his... awkwardness. He's even more flustered and awkward when Bela shows up shortly after to talk with him and Dean.
- Dean himself dreams in a later episode of being entertained by two strippers, one in a naughty devil's costume, the other in an angelic one. Kind of tragic, considering Dean is basically soothing his depression from the knowledge that both Heaven and Hell are engaging in the Apocalypse with an escapist fantasy. When a friendly angel drops in, she says she didn't expect his dreams to be like this, and Dean is embarrassed. Made even more awkward by the fact that she had previously slept with Dean.
- Gossip Girl. A season two episode opens with Blair having an erotic dream about Chuck.
- In the episode "Slumber", Clark dreamed of skinny dipping with Lana, until his dream crossed over with another girl's nightmare, and he had to save her.
- In season 8, Chloe gets one with Davis that turns horrible. You Do NOT Want To Know what it is. Clark's body in the most nightmarish manner possible.
- Lois had several erotic dreams of Clark in Season 9, interlaced with scenes of terror that includes Chloe's lifeless body.
- Will & Grace. Will has an erotic nightmare about doing it with Grace.
- Doctor Who
- An unintentional example in the Classic Who story The Time Monster. The story starts with the Doctor having a dream about exploding volcanoes and a larger-than-life Master looming over him and saying "Come to your new Master!". It's supposed to be about Atlantis. It doesn't totally come across that way.
- In "Amy's Choice", apparently Amy has dreams about the Doctor, at least according to the Dream Lord. Subverted though, due to a double dose of All Just a Dream, and the Dream Lord being the Doctor's dark side given physical form. But then does this mean that the Doctor thinks that Amy has erotic dreams about him?
- The Dream Lord has seen all the current residents of the TARDIS' dreams (Doctor, Amy and even Rory).
- Given his identity, one might wonder what the scene where the Dream Lord presented himself to Amy in a Ready for Lovemaking attire might imply.
- A Max Headroom episode centered around technology that recorded dreams - Theora is surprised and pleased to see she plays heavily in one of Edison's dreams.
- In True Blood, drinking the blood of a vampire not only heals humans, but also gives them a series of erotic dreams about the vampire whose blood they drank. It's explained by Bill early in the series and a recurring element through the seasons:
- Sookie's the first one to provide an example: having Bill's blood after receiving a massive No-Holds-Barred Beatdown from a couple whose plan she had foiled. Bill warns her about the dream but, being a virgin and all, she doesn't quite get it until it happens.
- Sam has a Homoerotic Dream about Bill after drinking his blood in the season 2 finale to finish off the Big Bad of the season.
- In season 2, Eric tricks Sookie into drinking his blood so that she'd start having erotic dreams about him, which eventually she does in season 3. And there's even one that stars both Bill and Eric with her as well (viewers didn't quite complain though).
- We don't get to see them, but Lafayette mentions that he had erotic dreams about Eric after drinking his blood... which he likes in a way, but ends up finding them disgusting because of how much he hates Eric.
- Jason starts dreaming about Jessica after she healed him with her blood. In one of them, she suddenly turns into Hoyt while having sex with Jason.
- Jason also had a dream about Eddie, back in season 2, in which he just appeared on top of him. Although this one is probably due to the guilt he felt due to not stopping Amy from killing him.
- And in season 6, Jason drinks vampire blood again and it ends up with an Homoerotic Dream in which he licks Ben's neck while the two are shaving each other naked.
- In Degrassi: The Next Generation, JT had this featuring Liberty. Toby was in the room as JT moaned Liberty's name in his sleep. At the same time, JT was trying to be cool around Paige and her friends and ignoring Toby. Toby gets revenge on JT by announcing to Paige and her friends the dreams he was having about Liberty.
- In According to Jim, Dana has an erotic dream about Jim, which squicks her out to a great degree because they never got along very well, and she never found him attractive. By the end of the episode, she realizes that the dream was a reaction to the chaos in her life, where the knowledge the Jim was a good father was subconsciously very attractive to her at that time.
- An episode of Wings opened with Brian's sexy dream about Helen. This irked Joe, as he was dating her at the time. Helen, on the other hand, had no problem in joining Brian in teasing the elder Hackett brother about it.
- In an early episode of Passions, Sheridan wakes up moaning Luis' name. Very embarrassing for her firstly because they were still in the "s/he has cooties!" stage of their Slap-Slap-Kiss relationship, and secondly because she was overheard and gets teased about it for like twenty episodes.
- In an episode of The King of Queens, Carrie finds out that Doug tends to dream about a various number of women, except about her. Furthermore, it turns out that she is dead in this dreams of erotic nature. Doug explains that this is because he would never, not even in Dreamland, cheat on her. Carrie feels insulted nevertheless, and then starts to write scripts for Doug's dreams, telling him how to appropriately have erotic dreams about other women.
- In a episode of Martin Martin has dreams about Pam. He finally gets over it at the end of the episode and in the final dream, he dreams about her on the bed, and he presses a button dropping a 16 ton weight on her. Across town Pam is having a dream about Martin that ends with him getting crushed by the weight instead.
- In an early episode Community, Shirley tells Jeff that Britta has been erotic dreams about him, letting him known despite Britta's statements to the contrary he still has a chance with her.
- On Boy Meets World, when Angela asks Cory if he's ever thought of her as more than a friend, Cory responds that he did once when he had a dream about her of this sort. Then, when Angela shoves him onto the bed and climbs on top of him to prove a point, Cory says "Oh no! It's the dream!".
- Aria from Pretty Little Liars dreams about Jason, shirtless, on her bed, and the two make out before she wakes up very confused.
- In one episode of 30 Rock, Jenna and Tracy begin having these about Kenneth, which counts as a Homo Erotic Dream for Tracy. The only way they can solve it is by killing him in the dream.
- An early Private Practice episode has Addison dream about Pete doing her in various places (usually in the office). She wakes up by falling off the bed. This becomes the episode's Running Gag until, on advice from her female coworkers, she employs a showerhead massager after telling Pete what she intends to do with her fantasies of him (Pete the Cowboy and Pete the Gladiator). He finds it disturbing.
- The Are You Being Served? episode "The Erotic Dreams of Mrs Slocombe" revolves around, well, Mrs Slocombe's erotic dreams about Mr Humphries.
- In one episode of Grey's Anatomy, Meredith has a dream of having a threesome with Finn and Derek.
- Oz: At one point Sister Peter Marie starts having erotic dreams of inmate Chris Keller. She realizes soon enough that he's been messing with her head to help him get closer to Tobias Beecher again.
- Magnificent Century, with Nigar Kalfa being the dreamer, and Pargalı İbrahim Paşa being the object of her dream. He pushes her against a wall, yells at her, strangles her, then kisses her.
- The Sopranos: Tony Soprano has had more than a few erotic dreams throughout the series, including one with his psychiatrist Dr. Melfi in her office, and another one with his friend Artie Buco's wife as he's cheering them on. Interestingly, Dr. Melfi also dreams about having sex with her patient at one point.
- In an episode of Flight of the Conchords, Mel gleefully tells Bret and Jermaine that she's had one about them. Later, she apparently has another that's so obscene that she tries to get Bret to apologize to her for it. Granted, Mel's already a bit off her rocker.
- The Magicians: Quentin has one involving Alice as Daenerys Targaryen and Julia as Leia in her metal bikini, while he himself is Indiana Jones. Hilariously, Alice/Daenerys rebukes him for not allowing the two to talk long enough to pass the Bechdel Test.
- Lucifer. Chloe Decker has a dream where she's having passionate sex with Lucifer. She wakes up to find Maze sitting in her bedroom eating chips and enjoying the show.
- Hemlock Grove: During his Adventures in Comaland, Roman's messed-up sexual life is showcased when a classmate he had previously hypnotized and raped appears nude to taunt and fondle him, before turning into his Rich Bitch mother Olivia.
- In Tales of Phantasia, depending on whether it's the fan-translated or official version, Arche dreams of either making out with Cless or flat-out making it clear she's dreaming of having (really good) sex with him.
- The female player character in Dragon Age: Origins can confess to having erotic dreams about Alistair.
- Joked with in Dragon Age II, when things go from worse to even more worse and Hawke says that this must all be a really bad dream and the nex thing s/he will notice is that s/he's Not Wearing Pants. To which Merrill can reply "Hawke defending the city while being naked. Why can I never have this dream."
- Then there's Dist in Tales of the Abyss. We never do learn exactly what he's dreaming of, but he's moaning Jade's name... And Jade was there. And he replies by implicitly "raping" him offscreen.
Luke: Uhhhh, what was that scream just now?
Jade: Oh, it was nothing.
- BlazBlue's Bang Shishigami had one with Litchi in the Fourth-Wall Mail Slot.
- Story of Seasons has this implied by the female player character if she is married to Mistel. One of his morning dialogue is saying that she has been saying his name in her sleep and wondering what she's dreaming.
- In Fallout 3, at the beginning of game proper, you are woken up by your friend Amata. One of dialogue options is "Amata? I was just dreaming about you..." (it's unclear if it isn't just a wily talk). For both sexes.
- In Fate/hollow ataraxia, Rider causes Shirou to dream of having a threesome with her and Sakura.
- Crush Crush: Referenced when selecting Eva at the Girlfriend level:
I dreamt of you last night. It was... It was a dream I could not tell others about...
- In the Ciem Webcomic Series, Candi's erotic dreams about the men in her life are implied to be so intrusive (and memorable) that they interfere with her ability to function in life.
- Mag Isa — Eman dreams about having sex with his "friend" Liana.
- In Friendly Hostility, Collin is creeped out after having an erotic dream about his friend Arath. Fox assures him that it's natural for him to dream about people other than his significant partner. He goes on to casually list the various people/beings he's had sexy dreams about, which Collin is not enthused to hear in its entirety.
- This Shortpacked! strip (at this point, Ethan was gay-but-doesn't-know-it).
- In Misfile Ash experiences her first sex dream in this strip and continues in this one the effect is discussed in this one. This being Misfile naturally they then find all sort of ways to avoid speaking about it.
- This Awkward Zombie comic, in which Mewtwo hijacks one of Marth's dreams.
Even Mewtwo has to get his kicks somewhere.
Even if "somewhere" is inside other people's brains.
- Linburger. Poor Neut seems to be the only Cyll not getting any in the Free-Love Future hedonistic society. As such, he has sexual fantasies about Lin and the Firne twins Kien-Tai. But mostly Lin.
- The page image comes from this 8-Bit Theater guest strip, where Black Mage has such dreams of White Mage, squicking Fighter out.
- A recurring theme in Ménage à 3. Gary, for one, mostly dreams of Zii and DiDi; Yuki has some quite disturbing dreams about Gary — disturbing for the readers in that she sometimes changes his sex, but also disturbing for her in that some of them occur while she's still defining herself as lesbian.
- In Wapsi Square, Monica has an amusing one involving Gerard Butler. It also gets bonus points for being head-trauma induced.
- World of Fizz: Kelli dreams about having sex with Tim, much to the fans' appreciation.
- There is an odd romantic erotic fantasy dream in Karate Bears
- This comic by Winston Rowntree, with an unusual twist.
- In Dumbing of Age Joyce has a rather odd dream about Ethan. Unfortunately it's also mixed in with all her anxieties about sex and turns to horror when dream!Ethan suddenly transforms into Ryan.
- In El Goonish Shive, Elliot has an introspective dream that turns into one of these about Susan.
- In Sticky Dilly Buns, the prudish Ruby experiences a dream involving her sort-of boyfriend Andy, expressed in her usual rather formal terms ("Let's kiss in altogether inappropriate ways"). Her growing (if much-denied) interest in Yaoi is reflected when she transforms into the gay Dillon during the dream, but it's also a sad comment on her self-image that she not only takes herself out of the erotic scene, but dismisses herself as "boring" in the dream dialogue.
- Whateley Universe: From Good Cop / Bad Cop (Part 1):
"You've got mail," Tavi announced cheerfully, shattering Jimmy's morning dream sequence from a range about two inches from his ear. This specific dream had involved a number of his pretty, new teammates and wasn't going to be shared in public where word could get back to them.
- In one episode of 6teen, Nikki becomes horrified when she keeps having hot dreams about Darth. Jen confesses to her later that she once had a hot dream about Wayne. At the end of the episode, Jonesy also dreams about Darth, who is dressed as Princess Leia.
- In Family Guy, Peter dreams about someone named Jenny. Turns out he was dreaming of comedian Richard Jeni and his sweet ass.
- Batman: The Animated Series; Barbara dreams of being romanced by Batman, until a phone call from the real one wakes her up.
- Hinted at in the Justice League Unlimited episode "Fearful Symmetry (a.k.a. Galatea)." Supergirl has confided a recent nightmare to Green Arrow, who says that dreams can feel realistic. He then mentions having one such dream the previous night as he looks over at Black Canary.
- In an episode of Rick and Morty, Morty has a hilariously perplexing and slightly disturbing dream after falling asleep in his math class, where he soon imagines his long-time crush Jessica emerging from behind a plateau of numbers that are also raining from the sky only to unashamedly rip open her shirt and introduce Morty to her boobs, which she has named her "little Mortys," before not-so-subtly requesting that he grope them.
- In an episode of King of the Hill, Hank has a dream that he's grilling naked with Nancy. He tells Peggy about the dream and says that she was in it instead. Hank asks John Redcorn what the dream means and then things start to get out of control. In the end, Hank realizes that it was the propane in the grilling that turned him on, not Nancy. He just associated it with her because he had helped her install a propane-powered hot tub in her backyard as a surprise for her husband Dale.
- Of all places in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic where Spike has (ice)cream dreams involving his longtime crush Rarity.
- Adventure Time manages a weird version of this when Finn dreams about his girlfriend, Flame Princess, blasting his body with fire in a way that he obviously finds very enjoyable. Note that most of the fire seems to be aimed at his crotch.
- In the Futurama episode where Fry becomes Bender's roommate, first Fry hears Bender having a "Kill All Humans" dream ("I was having the most wonderful dream... I think you were in it."), then this trope happens. And gets weird.
Bender: (sleep-talking) Hey, sexy mama... wanna kill all humans?