"Oooh Dream Weaver, I believe you can get me through the night."
— Gary Wright, "Dream Weaver"
The protagonist's sexual dreams about a friend or enemy causes them to reassess their relationship, perhaps realizing they're actually in love with them
. Or not, just as long as they're having them. If the content of the dream is homoerotic in nature
, expect this to either be played for laughs or used to increase the psychological ramifications of the dream.
See also Freud Was Right
, and, if they were denying UST
before, Dreaming The Truth
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- An elaborate example opens the XXXenophile story "Net Dreams".
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Buffy has a sex dream involving both Angel and Spike. With her in a Naughty Nurse Outfit.
- In Watchmen, Dan has one about a villainess he once defeated. First he sees himself with the villainess, then with naked Laurie... then they tear their skins off, revealing their costumes underneath. In the movie, they cut out the first bit, because they'd cut out the character. Andddd then a bomb goes off.
- Little Ego is an adult-oriented, erotic parody of the classic Little Nemo comics written and drawn by Vittorio Giardino. The main character, called Ego, is a woman seemingly in her middle twenties. As in Little Nemo, each story is about her having a dream, and she wakes up in the last panel. Whereas Little Nemo talked to his mother after waking up, Little Ego thinks what she will tell her psychoanalyst. Every story in the Little Ego comic book involves erotic imagery, with Ego appearing half-naked or fully naked in at least one point. She has sexual intercourse with men, with other women, and even with plants and animals.
- It's suggestive rather than outright porn most of the time — but VERY suggestive — and all in all, a lot better than this description sounds.
- In Zatanna #16 (the final issue of the 2011 series), a seriously sleep deprived Zee is woken from a dream involving two hunky men and a tub of cocoa butter when Uriah breaks into her library. She spends the rest of the issue trying to deal with the pest as quickly as possible so she can get back to the dream.
- The norwegian movie ''Turn Me On Dammit" is pretty much about a teenage girl and her erotic dreams.
- Roy gets one in both Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights. In the former, he dreams that he's in a saloon with a number of gorgeous women, one of whom begins to bite his ear as he tells them of his adventures. He awakens to find himself buried up to his neck in the ground with a vulture nibbling his ear. In the latter, he dreams that he's in a room with a number of gorgeous women and his friend's sister. He suggests that the two try some positions from the Kama Sutra and she begins to lick his face, only for him to wake up and discover that he fell asleep in a car and a sheep climbed in and was licking him.
- Perhan and Azra in Dom za vensanje (Time of the Gypsies.) ...or was it a dream?
- Ali G Indahouse opens with one, which ends when Ali awakens to find his dog performing upon him the same act that the young lady in the dream had been.
- One very famous erotic dream comes from the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High, in which the character Brad fantasizes about his sister's hot friend (played by Phoebe Cates) stepping out of the swimming pool and slowly removing her bikini top. This scene has been parodied by both Family Guy and The Man Show as well as Scrubs.
- Incredibly attractive hacker Acid Burn (played by a young Angelina Jolie) has an especially erotic dream about her main competitor, Zero Cool, in the movie Hackers.
- The superintendent of a women's prison in the Exploitation Film Caged Heat keeps having erotic dreams throughout the movie.
- In the film American Beauty, when 40-year old Lester meets his daughter's 17-year-old friend Angela, he starts having these about her immediately (including daydreams). These inspire him into making huge life changes which further alienate his family, but inspire them into making changes in their own lives.
- The opening shower scene in Dressed to Kill is a extremely graphic example.
- In Keeping The Faith, Brian starts to have one but wakes up abruptly. You see, for a principled priest, erotic dreams are Bad Dreams.
- Inverted/invoked in Dreamscape, in which the Dream Weaver Alex Gardner uses his powers to enter Jane's dream to make out with her, without telling her it's not just a random dream she's having about him. She quickly forgives him when she finds out, but this seems strange since it could easily be construed as rape by fraud (he deluded her on purpose and she didn't give consent).
- Older Than Steam: In Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene, the Redcross Knight's erotic dream about his ward, Princess Una (albeit magically induced), is the start of his long spiral down the road of sin and despair.
- The Giver: Jonas dreams of Fiona, experiencing his first "Stirrings" and introducing us to the first sign of how screwed up a Dystopia we're dealing with.
- Rand from The Wheel of Time has a (to him, at the time) particularly odd dream wherein Min and Elayne are naked and inviting him to swim with them in a nearby pond. Unfortunately, he's interrupted by his past-life incarnation's ex-girlfriend stepping into his dream, so we don't get to see what would have occurred.
- Actually this one is recurring, and Aviendha is added to it once he meets her.
- In Belgarath the Sorcerer, Riva is visited in a dream by the god Belar, who gives him instructions. Unfortunately, Belar chose the wrong dream to interrupt, and as a result had to talk extra loud to keep Riva's attention.
Riva: "She was really beautiful, blonde hair, dark eyes, and would you believe she had no clothes o—"
Belgarath: "Riva! Forget about the girl! What did Belar say?!"
- In this case, the erotic dream is also very important, as Riva is dreaming about his destined wife—Belgarath's (as yet unborn) daughter Beldaran.
- House of Leaves. Johnny has a bunch of these over Thumper. They are eventually crowded out by the nightmares.
- Happens to Harry in Harry Potter, when Ginny "began cropping up in his dreams in ways that made him devoutly thankful that Ron could not perform Legilimency."
- Used to disturbing effect in the Ciaphas Cain novel The Traitor's Hand, where Cain starts having erotic nightmares about Emeli, a Slaaneshi sorceress he killed but who is returning as a daemon on the world he is assigned to.
- Stingo, the protagonist of Sophie's Choice has one about a girl he grew up with. It comes across as terrifying both to him and the reader, since the girl had just committed suicide.
- In Bryan Miranda's The Journey to Atlantis, Max and Stacie both have the same dream in which they are laying on a beautiful beach in each other's arms. While they don't go all the way (they never actually even kiss), everything was leading up to until they woke up.
- Xena: Warrior Princess: Xena dreams of Ares in "Eternal Bonds". See also UST and Slap-Slap-Kiss.
- Just Shoot Me!: Maya dreams about sex with Eliot, and then Eliot of sex with Maya as part of their romantic arc.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- Cheers: Rebecca is disgusted by her dreams about "dancing on [her] back with Sam Malone." She laments that she should be having erotic dreams about men she is actually attracted to, like Donald Trump.
- In one episode of Home Improvement, Jill confides in Tim that she has dreams like this all the time about Tarzan. Tim at first thinks this is silly at first, but Wilson, ever the voice of reason, helps him analyze it, suggesting that if she's dreaming of Tarzan, she would be playing the part of Jane, resulting in two people with the same first name initials as the two of them. (At the end of the episode, Tim tries to impress her with a Tarzan costume; which might have worked better if it wasn't the middle of winter.)
- The Vampire Diaries: Elena has an erotic dream about making out and almost having sex with Stefan in 1x03 "Friday Night Bites". However, Elena's pleasurable, erotic dream ends up going south when Damon invades her dream, with Elena waking up panicking afterwards, scared and shaken up by Damon's presence in her dream.
- Ellen: Ellen dreams that after Adam does some odd jobs around her apartment and she repays him with a passionate kiss, and starts wondering if she should date her old friend. Of course we all know where that went.
- In the Friends episode "The One with the Ick Factor" Ross is jealous after Rachel dreams about sex with Chandler, and then sex with both Chandler and Joey. When she finally dreams about him, he dances on a table with joy.
- In "The One with the Cop", Joey has a dream about Monica, which is not really erotic, but she's his girlfriend in it. He first thinks that the dream means that he's in love with her, but Monica explains that he just envied the close relationship he saw between her and Chandler.
- In "The One with Rachel's Dream", Rachel has a dream where she kisses Joey, which makes her realize that she has feelings for him.
- Frasier: Frasier dreams of Gil, (and questions his sexuality). He finally decides that his subconscious was simply providing him with a puzzle to solve to relieve his boredom. In his next dream, Sigmund Freud shows about to congratulate him on figuring it all out before himself coming on to Frasier.
- Roseanne: David dreams about Roseanne, his girlfriend's mother.
- Scrubs: Turk dreams of Elliott, but it's only played for laughs. The episode ends with Carla dreaming about Ted.
- In the final season, we see Ted throw his new girlfriend, Stephanie Gooch, down onto a bed. She then asks if they're going to do it, but Ted points out, it isn't his fantasy, it's just one of J.D's daydreams. He then decides "Screw it" and they start having sex, much to J.D's chagrin.
- In the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode "The Blind Date" Jeff tells to Larry, that when he was fantasizing about Jenna Jameson while masturbating, Cheryl, Larry's wife "popped in", and doesn't understand why Larry isn't happy to find it out. Later, when Larry fantasizes about Cady Huffman, she suddenly turns into Jeff's wife, Susie, shocking Larry, since they can't stand each other.
- Battlestar Galactica: Kara dreams of Leoben (Paint!sex)
- Played for laughs on an episode of That '70s Show, when Fez has a dream about Kelso. Played for laughs again in the same episode when Kelso has a dream about... Kelso.
- In the episode "Eric's Corvette Caper", Kelso thinks he's having one of these, when Jackie and Donna sneak into the room he's sleeping in.
- I'm Alan Partridge: Whilst it doesn't exactly make him reassess his relationships with them (he's far too shallow for that), the erotic daydream that Alan Partridge frequently segues into in the first season of this show certainly reveals much to the audience in more ways than one; dressed in a leather codpiece and a jumper with the nipples cut out, Alan offers to do a lapdance for a variety of men - all of whom, significantly enough, have a certain amount of influence in determining the future of Alan's career in television.
- In one episode of Red Dwarf after Rimmer has left, Lister dreams about him returning and being far friendlier than before. They end up hugging, saying how much they missed each other and then kissing. Cut to Lister waking up, screaming and falling out of bed, the incident makes him seek medical help.
- In an episode of Northern Exposure, the yearly "cracking of the ice" on a nearby river causes general goofiness; in the case of Joel and Maggie, they have erotic dreams about each other.
- In another episode, Joel has a dream that starts out as a pitch-perfect remake of the video to Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistable" - until the song stops mid-note and the dancing models try hitting on him.
- Degrassi Junior High, naturally, dealt with this when one of the characters was having erotic dreams and wondered if something was wrong with him.
- Comedy example from Mutual Friends (a UK comedy drama series). Marc Warren's character has gotten back with his wife, Jen, played by Keeley Hawes. One of their friends and their family is staying after having their house repossessed. Despite his attempts, Jen is not up to rekindle things in the bedroom. He goes to sleep and dreams of her in a sexy nightie, pouring champagne over herself and him. He wakes up with a jolt- one of the kids is urinating on the bed.
- Michael and Isabel have these dreams about each other in Roswell, at a point where they've just been told they're destined to be together.
- Ned, in Pushing Daisies, has an upsetting (to him) dream involving his girlfriend Chuck turning into Olive.
- Drop the Dead Donkey. Pointy-Haired Boss Gus Hedges starts having erotic dreams about office hottie Joy, so he asks Handsome Lech Dave for help, promising to be "financially grateful". Realising his boss is a stuck-up virgin Dave sets him up with a professional 'sex counsellor' (actually a prostitute) and the problem is resolved. Dave turns up for the promised pay rise the next day, only Gus has fallen asleep and is having a Homoerotic Dream about Dave, who is immediately thrown out of the office the moment Gus wakes up.
- Star Trek: Enterprise. In the universally reviled "A Night in Sickbay" (an unintentional Parody Episode) Captain Archer has a dream involving sexy Vulcan T'Pol, Asian hottie Hoshi Sato, and his pet beagle Porthos in the Decontamination Chamber. And you thought Slash Fic writers were inventive...
- Except...that didn't actually happen. Hoshi and Porthos were only there in the first scene that was real. In the dream they left and the erotic part was only between him and T'Pol.
- A Different World: Whitley has an erotic dream about Dwayne (this was long before they actually hooked up). She was slightly freaked by the... vividness of the dreams (especially since she was a virgin at the time).
- In the Married... with Children episode "Nightmare on Al's Street", Marcy has several erotic dreams about Al, much to her horror and disgust. She eventually realizes that the dreams are a subconscious way of punishing herself, because she refused to admit to Al that he was right about something. At the end, Al ends up having a dream about her, which shocks him equally.
- Lexx: Stanley's erotic dreams typically derail into nightmares. This is as much due to the kind of woman he tends to meet as his own subconscious self-loathing.
- Sam has one of these featuring Bela, and is very flustered when he figures out who he's been dreaming about (after waking up with an extremely dopey grin on his face). His face wasn't the only thing grinning. No joke, this is actually referenced when Dean calls him over as he's waking up. Sam starts to rise, then glances down and hesitates, using a stretch to cover for his... awkwardness. He's even more flustered and awkward when Bela shows up shortly after to talk with him and Dean.
- Dean himself dreams in a later episode of being entertained by two strippers, one in a naughty devil's costume, the other in an angelic one. Kind of tragic, considering Dean is basically soothing his depression from the knowledge that both Heaven and Hell are engaging in the Apocalypse with an escapist fantasy. When a friendly angel drops in, she says she didn't expect his dreams to be like this, and Dean is embarassed.
- Gossip Girl. A season two episode opens with Blair having an erotic dream about Chuck.
- Smallville: In the episode "Slumber", Clark dreamed of skinny dipping with Lana, until his dream crossed over with another girl's nightmare, and he had to save her.
- In season 8, Chloe gets one with Davis that turns horrible. You Do NOT Want to Know what it is. Clark's body in the most nightmarish manner possible.
- Lois had several erotic dreams of Clark in Season 9, interlaced with scenes of terror that includes Chloe's lifeless body.
- Will and Grace. Will has an erotic nightmare about doing it with Grace.
- An unintentional example in the Doctor Who story The Time Monster. The story starts with the Doctor having a dream about exploding volcanoes and a larger-than-life Master looming over him and saying "Come to your new Master!". It's supposed to be about Atlantis. It doesn't totally come across that way.
- A Max Headroom episode centered around technology that recorded dreams - Theora is surprised and pleased to see she plays heavily in one of Edison's dreams.
- In True Blood, drinking the blood of a vampire not only heals humans, but also gives them a series of erotic dreams about the vampire whose blood they drank. It's explained by Bill early in the series and a recurring element through the seasons:
- Sookie's the first one to provide an example: having Bill's blood after receiving a massive No-Holds-Barred Beatdown from a couple whose plan she had foiled. Bill warns her about the dream but, being a virgin and all, she doesn't quite get it until it happens.
- Sam has a Homoerotic Dream about Bill after drinking his blood in the season 2 finale to finish off the Big Bad of the season.
- In season 2, Eric tricks Sookie into drinking his blood so that she'd start having erotic dreams about him, which eventually she does in season 3. And there's even one that stars both Bill and Eric with her as well (viewers didn't quite complain though).
- We don't get to see them, but Lafayette mentions that he had erotic dreams about Eric after drinking his blood... which he likes in a way, but ends up finding them disgusting because of how much he hates Eric.
- Jason starts dreaming about Jessica after she healed him with her blood. In one of them, she suddenly turns into Hoyt while having sex with Jason.
- Jason also had a dream about Eddie, back in season 2, in which he just appeared on top of him. Although this one is probably due to the guilt he felt due to not stopping Amy from killing him.
- And in season 6, Jason drinks vampire blood again and it ends up with an Homoerotic Dream in which he licks Ben's neck while the two are shaving each other naked.
- In Degrassi: The Next Generation JT had this featuring Liberty. Toby was in the room as JT moaned Liberty's name in his sleep. At the same time, JT was trying to be cool around Paige and her friends and ignoring Toby. Toby gets revenge on JT by announcing to Paige and her friends the dreams he was having about Liberty.
- This has been reused a few times since. Clare has a sexy vampire dream about Declan in Season 9. In Season 10 Wesley has a daydream about his upcoming date with Anya, with an awkward ending for class. Fiona's dream is about her best friend, Holly J.
- An According to Jim moment doubles as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. Dana has an erotic dream about Jim, which squicks her out to a great degree because they never got along very well, and she never found him attractive. By the end of the episode, she realizes that the dream was a reaction to the chaos in her life, where the knowledge the Jim was a good father was subconsciously very attractive to her at that time.
- An episode of Wings opened with Brian's sexy dream about Helen. This irked Joe, as he was dating her at the time. Helen, on the other hand, had no problem in joining Brian in teasing the elder Hackett brother about it.
- In an early episode of Passions, Sheridan wakes up moaning Luis' name. Very embarrassing for her firstly because they were still in the "s/he has cooties!" stage of their Slap-Slap-Kiss relationship, and secondly because she was overheard and gets teased about it for like twenty episodes.
- In an episode of King of Queens, Carrie finds out that Doug tends to dream about a various number of women, except about her. Furthermore, it turns out that she is dead in this dreams of erotic nature. Doug explains that this is because he would never, not even in Dreamland, cheat on her. Carrie feels insulted nevertheless, and then starts to write scripts for Doug's dreams, telling him how to appropriately have erotic dreams about other women.
- In a episoded of Martin Martin has dreams about Pam. He finally gets over it at the end of the episode and in the final dream, he dreams about her on the bed, and he presses a button dropping a 16 ton weight on her. Across town Pam is having a dream about Martin that ends with him getting crushed by the weight instead.
- In an early episode Community, Shirley tells Jeff that Britta has been erotic dreams about him, letting him known despite Britta's statements to the contrary he still has a chance with her.
- On Boy Meets World, when Angela asks Cory if he's ever thought of her as more than a friend, Cory responds that he did once when he had a dream about her of this sort. Then, when Angela shoves him onto the bed and climbs on top of him to prove a point, Cory says "Oh no! It's the dream!".
- Aria from Pretty Little Liars dreams about Jason, shirtless, on her bed, and the two make out before she wakes up very confused.
- In one episode of 30Rock, Jenna and Tracy begin having these about Kenneth, which counts as a Homo Erotic Dream for Tracy. The only way they can solve it is by killing him in the dream.
- An early Private Practice episode has Addison dream about Pete doing her in various places (usually in the office). She wakes up by falling off the bed. This becomes the episode's Running Gag until, on advice from her female coworkers, she employs a showerhead massager after telling Pete what she intends to do with her fantasies of him (Pete the Cowboy and Pete the Gladiator). He finds it disturbing.
- One 1998 Foxtrot Story Arc was about Jason having one of these about Lara Croft. Jason hates girls, however due to the beliefs kids his age have, so he spent the whole dream trying to get away from her. Needless to say, Peter was upset that he didn't get the dream instead.
Jason: Oh man Peter, I had the worst dream ever last night.
Jason: I dreamed that Lara Croft from "Tomb Raider" was determined to make me her boyfriend or something. It was like eight straight hours of misery. She just would not leave me alone. She even threw herself on top of me four or five times. Judging by the look on your face, I'm guessing you had lousy dreams,too.
Peter: Jason, are you familiar with the extra little prayer I say each night before bedtime?
- Rat from Pearls Before Swine is often seen having these. One strip implied he was having one about Winona Ryder, and an early Sunday Strip about his alarm clock had him dreaming about "The Land of Naked Supermodels".
- Rod has a "really nice dream" about his roommate Nicky in Avenue Q.
- Moritz and "legs in sky blue stockings" in Spring Awakening. The dreams get worse after Melchior writes an essay for Moritz explaining the ins and outs of sex, leading Moritz to kill himself.
- In Tales of Phantasia, Arche dreams of sex with Cless while drunk.
- The female player character in Dragon Age: Origins can confess to having erotic dreams about Alistair.
- Joked with in Dragon Age II, when things go from worse to even more worse and Hawke says that this must all be a really bad dream and the nex thing s/he will notice is that s/he's Not Wearing Pants. To which Merrill can reply "Hawke defending the city while being naked. Why can I never have this dream."
- Then there's Dist in Tales of the Abyss. We never do learn exactly what he's dreaming of, but he's moaning Jade's name...
- And Jade was there. And he replies by "raping" him.
- We never actually see what Jade does, We can only hear Dist's reactions.
Luke: Uhhhh, what was that scream just now?
Jade: Oh, it was nothing.
- BlazBlue's Bang Shishigami had one with Litchi in the Fourth Wall Mail Slot.
- In Fallout 3, at the beginning of game proper, you are woken up by your friend Amata. One of dialogue options is "Amata? I was just dreaming about you..." (it's unclear if it isn't just a wily talk). For both sexes.
- Tsukihime has Shiki being shown one of these by one of Arcueid's familiars, in the Near Side routes, as a way of showing her gratitude for helping her defeat Nero Chaos. Since said familiar is a little...inexperienced, the scenes can vary from pleasant, to slightly uncomfortable, to outright disturbing, depending on which heroine the player has him dream about. Shiki also has a maid who wakes him up every morning - combine that with a Raging Stiffie and Shiki apparently talking in his sleep for a Crowning Moment of Funny if the dream is about her.
- In the Ciem Webcomic Series, Candi's erotic dreams about the men in her life are implied to be so intrusive (and memorable) that they interfere with her ability to function in life.
- MAG ISA — Eman dreams about having sex with his "friend" Liana.
- In Friendly Hostility, Collin is creeped out after having an erotic dream about his friend Arath. Fox assures him that it's natural for him to dream about people other than his significant partner. He goes on to casually list the various people/beings he's had sexy dreams about, which Collin is not enthused to hear in its entirety.
- This Shortpacked! strip (at this point, Ethan was gay-but-doesn't-know-it).
- In Misfile Ash experiences her first sex dream in this strip and continues in this one the effect is discussed in this one. This being Misfile naturally they then find all sort of ways to avoid speaking about it.
- This Smash Bros. comic.
- Linburger. Poor Neut seems to be the only Cyll not getting any in the Free-Love Future hedonistic society. As such, he has sexual fantasies about Lin and the Firne twins Kien-Tai. But mostly Lin.
- This 8-Bit Theater strip.
- A recurring theme in Ménage à 3. Gary mostly dreams of Zii and DiDi. Yuki has had some quite disturbing ones about Gary
- In Wapsi Square, Monica has an amusing one involving Gerard Butler. It also gets bonus points for being head-trauma induced.
- World of Fizz: Kelli dreams about having sex with Tim, much to the fans' appreciation.
- There is a odd romantic erotic fantasy dream in in Karate Bears: but i guess it takes all kinds.click here
- This comic by Winston Rowntree, with an unusual twist.
- In Dumbing Of Age Joyce has a rather odd dream about Ethan. Unfortunately it's also mixed in with all her anxieties about sex and turns to horror when dream!Ethan suddenly transforms into Ryan.
- In El Goonish Shive, Elliot has an introspective dream that turns into one of these about Susan.
- In Family Guy Peter dreams about someone named Jenny. Turns out he was dreaming of comedian Richard Jeni and his sweet ass.
- Hinted at in the Justice League Unlimited episode "Fearful Symmetry (AKA Galatea)." Supergirl has confided a recent nightmare to Green Arrow, who says that dreams can feel realistic. He then mentions having one such dream the previous night as he looks over at Black Canary.
- In an episode of King of the Hill Hank has a dream that he's grilling naked with Nancy. He tells Peggy about the dream and says that she was in it instead. Hank asks John Redcorn what the dream means and then things start to get out of control. It Makes Sense in Context.
- In the end, Hank realizes that it was the propane in the grilling that turned him on, not Nancy. He just associated it with her because he had helped her install a hot tub in her backyard as a surprise for her husband Dale.
- Of all places in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic where Spike has (ice)cream dreams involving his longtime crush Rarity.
- Adventure Time manages a weird version of this when Finn dreams about his girlfriend, Flame Princess, blasting his body with fire in a way that he obviously finds very enjoyable. Note that most of the fire seems to be aimed at his crotch.