I Was Having Such a Nice Dream
A character finds themselves in an important prophetic dream
, receiving vital information from a dead relative in a near-death experience, or just having a terribly good time
in their head, when they hear the phone ringing or someone shouting their name
and they are defibrillated back to the land of the living, just before the really good bit.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- A Delicate Balance: The third chapter opens with Rarity being awoken from a dream in which her fashions are madly popular, she can eat as much chocolate as she wants, and her cat does all of her paperwork for her. She isn't happy to be interrupted.
- Apple Bloom has one about meeting with Cadance when she's Taken for Granite in Moody Mark Crusaders.
- At the end of Ice Age: The Meltdown, Scrat is in Fluffy Cloud Heaven, surrounded by all the acorns he could ever want, including one gigantic one. Before he can get at it, however, he is brought back to the living world when Sid gives him mouth to mouth. Needless to say, Scrat is not at all pleased.
- In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Kirk and McCoy were framed for murder and sent to a Klingon penal colony. They escape, and are trapped by the leader of the colony who arranged the murder, and is about to tell them who was responsible as he kills them. At that instant, based on the Viridian Patch that Spock had slapped on Kirk before they were sent into exile, they are beamed back to the Enterprise, just in time to save them from a certain death, but also making it impossible for them to find out the answer.
- In Ali G Indahouse, Ali G has a dream that ends with a beautiful woman performing oral sex on him. He wakes up to discover his dog licking him in an intimate place.
Live Action TV
- Subverted beautifully in Northern Exposure, "Spring Break". Joel remarks during his erotic dream of performing Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistable" surrounded by the trademarked Palmer powerclones that he always wakes up before the good bit. One of the women leans over and tells him not this time — the screen cuts to black and we hear a zipper being opened. Cue Titles.
- One episode of Father Ted featured Ted in an Affectionate Parody of Ballykissangel, only without the Will They or Won't They? between Father Peter and Assumpta; Ted and Assumpta definitely were, when he was woken by Father Dougal to offer him a peanut. Ted shouted at Dougal, went back to sleep, and had a nightmare where he was being chased by a giant peanut.
- Herman's Head. Herman is woken up just as he does a swan dive onto a bed containing two beautiful women.
- In The Nanny Fran is having the beginnings of an erotic dream about Maxwell, and she is woken by her mother. She goes back to sleep immediately afterwords. She later had to check if she was asleep, when Maxwell quoted the dream verbatim.
- In Married... with Children, Al had several of these dreams, usually with Peg bringing him back with her finger-nails-on-the-chalk-board like screech.
- A half-subversion can be found in an Outland strip. Opus is woken from a dream involving Aphrodite—yes, the Greek goddess Aphrodite—about to lick his nose in order to be told of some Washington scandal. He snarls at the person who did it, goes back to sleep—and finds that the key figure of the political scandal is now licking his nose.
- In a Zits Sunday strip, Jeremy is recalling a bizarre dream he had (complete with visuals), which ended with his hot 4th grade teacher calling him over for something. The next panel shows an irritated Jeremy telling Hector that he wanted five extra minutes.
- The South Park episode "Best Friends Forever" concerned a recently-deceased Kenny being enlisted by the forces of Heaven to defeat the forces of Hell, but he keeps being resuscitated at crucial moments.
- Winx Club has a VERY special case: Tecna plays a partially-CG, partially-traditional animation sequence on her virtual goggles for her pixie Digit. It ends with her and boyfriend Timmy kissing. In the 4K dub, she's playing back a dream on her goggles, and it cuts right before the kiss, with a voice-over by Tec explaining that she woke up just before then. Screencap of the cut kiss, presented upside-down.◊ And a video.
- An episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic opens with Rarity in bed, apparently dreaming of a large, luxurious breakfast. She is awoken by her little sister, Sweetie Belle, nearly burning down the kitchen trying to make Rarity breakfast in bed.
- Real-life example: According to popular legend, Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem Kubla Khan was inspired by a dream he had. He was about halfway through writing the whole thing down when he was interrupted by a visitor — and upon returning to his desk, could no longer remember the rest of his dream, forcing him to publish the (fairly sizeable) fragment he already had.
- The other popular legend is that Coleridge wrote "Kubla Khan" in the midst of an opium high, and was interrupted by a knock at the door; having lost his train of thought, there was no getting it back. Ever.
- Similarly, the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde came to author Robert Louis Stevenson in a dream. His wife, hearing his screams and assuming he was having a nightmare, awakened him, much to his incense. Apparently, she had awakened him at the first transformation scene.
- Norm MacDonald worked this into an old stand-up bit about his dream of standing by a pool with Christie Brinkley, and waking up just before it gets to the good part. When he tries to re-dream the scenario, he winds up shooting pool with David Brinkley.
- Composer Giuseppe Tartini had a dream where he sold his soul to the Devil; the Devil took up a violin and began to play a sonata Tartini described as "so wonderful and so beautiful, played with such great art and intelligence, as I had never even conceived in my boldest flights of fantasy." When he woke up, he jotted down as much as he could remember, calling it the Devil's Trill Sonata, but he still wrote that the difference between what he heard and what he wrote was so great that he would give up music forever just to recreate that one sonata.