open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The matching seashell halves in Kannazuki no Miko start off as a Friendship Trinket but get upgraded to Love Trinket for Himeko and Chikane.
- In Lyrical Nanoha, Nanoha and Fate exchange their hair ribbons at the end of the first season. They both continue to wear them throughout the second season but remove them following the Time Skip.
- Digimon Adventure: The Crest of Friendship resembles an interlocking pair of friendship trinkets. It's a symmetrical emblem with a split center.
- In the end of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, right before she became the personification of hope, Madoka gave her hair ribbons to Homura.
- Pokémon: Ash and Gary keep the halves of a Pokeball they broke when they were younger as a sign of their friendship and rivalry. We of course never even knew it existed and they both carried it around all the time until the end of season 5 when they finally had their first full on battle.
- On Yu-Gi-Oh!, Duel Monsters cards often fill this role.
- Solomon Muto's most treasured card, the Blue-Eyes White Dragon, was a gift from his friend Arthur Hawkins. At least, until Seto Kaiba wins the card in a duel and tears it in half.
- Some time later, Yugi Muto (Solomon's grandson) duels Rebecca Hawkins (Arthur's granddaughter). Afterwards, Yugi gives Rebecca the Ties of Friendship card.
- In Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Lily and Hayashi wear matching bracelets after Hayashi defeats his first boss with Lily's guidance.
- Superman: Jimmy Olsen's signal watch, at least at one point, was a symbol of the friendship between him and Superman, who had given it to him so Jimmy would have a way to contact him if he got in trouble.
- A museum in the Outer Banks of North Carolina has a film adaptation of the story of Roanoke Colony, which features a trio of Indian Historical Domain Characters. One of them wears a sand dollar as a necklace, and he breaks it into thirds to symbolize their friendship.
- In Thomas and The Magic Railroad, Lily gives her Burnett a friendship bracelet to remind them of their friendship. Later in the film, Lily puts the gold dust Junior gives to her on her bluebird toy, also to remind her of her friendship with Burnett.
- Star Wars: Anakin gives Padme a necklace in Episode I when they first meet. It decorates her hearse during her funeral at the end of Episode III.
- In Home Alone 2, Kevin gives the Pigeon Lady (whom he had befriended earlier on in the movie, and even saved him from Marv & Harry's clutches) another Turtle Dove Ornament. Said act is rumored that if one person gives a very special person another Turtle Dove, the 2 who have the turtle dove ornaments will always be friends.
- In the Tamora Pierce’s ''Circle of Magic’’ books, the characters have a string circle containing their united magic which represents their friendship.
- In The Idiot, Myshkin and Rogozhin have a heart-to-heart conversation and promise that—no matter how their rivalry over Nastasya's affection ends—they'll remain friends. Both men are wearing cross necklaces, and they trade crosses as a sign of their friendship.
- In the last Cut And Run book, Ty knows he's screwed up when Nick runs out and leaves behind the knife Ty gave him for his birthday. Embedded in the wall.
Live Action TV
- In the backstory of Bones Cam had a live-in relationship with a man and grew to love his young daughter. When she left him, she told the girl that she would always love her and gave her half of a hugging salt-and-pepper shaker set, saying that whenever the girl looked at it, she should know that Cam was looking at it too. Many years later the man is the Victim of the Week and Cam takes his now-teenage daughter in and adopts her.
- In an episode of Friends Joey buys himself a gaudy bracelet, then gets an identical one for Chandler so they can be "bracelet buddies." Chandler hates his.
- The friendship bracelets with the girls' names on Pretty Little Liars are a major plot point throughout and constantly used to call attention to the tightly knit bonds they used to have to each other.
- Mike Patterson and Josef Weeder from Lynn Johnson's For Better or for Worse strip have a Naked Ned window clinger, a constant during their college years. Ned became a point of contention when Mike's daughter flushed Ned.
- Curly Brace from Cave Story gives the protagonist an iron bond after restoring her memories as a sign of friendship.
- Kingdom Hearts:
- Kairi makes a star-shaped charm out of Thalassa shells due to a legend that sailors who carry them will have a safe voyage. She gives it to Sora near the end of the game, and he carries it with him until they reunite at the end of Kingdom Hearts II, the charm acting as the Keychain for the Oathkeeper Keyblade that symbolizes their bond. The Stinger for Birth by Sleep has her hand it back to him when he heads out on another adventure. The image of the Paopu Fruit acts as one as well, as its legend says that two people who share one are destined to forever have their lives entwined, and Kairi's charm is star-shaped like the fruit.
- The symbolism is revisited in Birth By Sleep, when Aqua makes Wayfinders for herself, Terra and Ven, based on the legend of the Paopu Fruit and coincidentally looking like Kairi's charm, with the belief that as long as the three of them carry them, their bonds will never be broken.
- In both Persona 3 and Persona 4, you get one of this for every Social Link you complete. They allow you to fuse the ultimate Persona of the Arcana.
- Persona 5: In your last day in town, any character whose Level-Up at Intimacy 5 "Confidant" side-quest you have maxed out will give you an item to remember them by. These items also automatically unlock late-game bonuses from their side-quest if you start a New Game+.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies has Juniper Woods, Hugh O'Conner and Robin Newman all have one, a red clay band of a pair of clasping hands. Hugh wears his around his neck, Juniper her wrist, and Robin on her bicep. The fact that Hugh wears his on his neck is how Athena picks him out in a picture. The three friends say during the case that their friendship is on the rocks, but when Juniper and Robin show Hugh they are still wearing theirs despite their squabbles, he breaks down and cries. All three of them also use their bands as security blankets, instinctively reaching for them when they're scared.
- In Undertale, it's implied that the Heart Locket(Neutral/True Pacifist)/The Locket(Genocide) was/werenote this for Asriel and Chara. This is supported by Chara saying "Right where it belongs" when you equip The Locket in a Genocide run, Asriel appearing to be wearing one in his initial boss form, and the non-Genocide Check text saying it says "Best Friends Forever".
- In an episode of ''Arthur, Prunella and Marina get a set of friendship bracelets, each with half of a golden heart pendant which says "Best Friends." The girls fight and split the pendant, then make up and put it back together.
- In an episode of Jackie Chan Adventures, Jade acquires two half-yin-yang necklaces and intends to give one to her new friend Seymour. When Seymour turns out to really be the Sky Demon instead of a child and kidnaps Uncle, Jade finds out she can combine her half with the Tiger Talisman (which contains the power of spiritual balance) to track the demon and Uncle. She later regains the necklace half and gives it to Tohru instead.
- In The Simpsons episode Summer of 4 Ft. 2, Lisa receives a friendship bracelet from her summer-vacation friend Erin.
Lisa: Wow, my first real friend...ship bracelet!
- Spongebob Squarepants: In the episode "Secret Box", Spongebob and Patrick have a ring which, when pressed, shows a figure of both friends dancing and singing "It's the best friends forever, best friends forever ring!".
- The Wander over Yonder episode "The Buddies" uses a broken heart necklace as something of a Running Gag, with Wander offering it to Hater and Hater eventually accepting it in a dream sequence. The episode ends with a heartbroken Commander Peepers revealing his own half of the same necklace, which he apparently shares with Hater.
Peepers: But I thought WE were buds!!!