Parents Walk In at the Worst Time
An older teenager, or young adolescent goes to his or her room with a friend of their preferred gender. At some point, a parent will find some reason to barge in.
This plays out in a few different ways:
- Type 1: The two are making out, or about to. Parent may bring in contraceptives (or a baseball bat) if this was expected, or a very shocked look if it wasn't. Either way, the parent may decide this is the (rather late) moment to give one or both of the kids The Talk.
- Type 2: The two are doing something innocent, like studying or playing board games, and the parent walked in expecting that they were making out. When they leave, thoroughly chastened, expect: "So, wanna make out?"
Related to Moment Killer
, Amazingly Embarrassing Parents
. A subtrope of Interrupted Intimacy
. For children walking in on their parents, see Primal Scene
Anime and Manga
- In Chapter 5 of Sakura Trick, Yuu's older sister Mitsuki found Yuu and Haruka kissing while bringing food into Yuu's room.
- Web of Spider-Man #50: After Peter and Mary Jane (still newlyweds at this point) settle in for the night (and some quality time), Aunt May barges in on them with a tray of hot cocoa to "warm their bones."
Peter: ...We appreciate the thought — but we were already warming our bones.
MJ: Next time, could you knock?
Aunt May: Knock? Oh dear! Oh my! I'm so sorry! I keep forgetting you two are married... [from behind the just-closed door] Oh dear!
- In the Doctor Who Eighth Doctor Adventures, Fitz's mum mentions that when she had out of body experiences in her sleep and looked through his window she saw him doing something which she considered too embarrassing to specify. So it could be this or another trope. Sometimes, even if you lock the door and wait for everyone else to go to sleep, you still just can't win...
- The moral equivalent occurs during the legendary dinner party in A Civil Campaign, when one of the guests mentions Mark and Kareen's visit to a notorious Betan tourist attraction in front of Kareen's parents.
- They get their own back when Cordelia holds a meeting with their parents on the couch where they first... got acquainted.
- In Adaptation, Reese's mom accidentally walks in on her and Amber kissing.
- In one episode of Home Improvement, Jill walks in on her son Brad and his girlfriend making out in his bedroom. This gets Brad in trouble because Brad wasn't allowed to have girls in his room.
- Eureka - in the third-season finale, Jack and company enter Lucas' garage to find him kissing Zoe. Cue Lucas holding a pillow in front of himself.
- Played with brilliantly on two episodes of Roseanne. In the first, Roseanne and Jackie come into the dark living room and hear the sound of two kids making out on the couch. Roseanne assumes it's Becky, and decides to turn on the lights to ruin the moment. She turns on the lights...and it's Darlene making out with one of her classmates (Darlene hadn't shown much interest in this previously).
- In a later episode, Roseanne tries to do the same thing when she thinks it's Darlene and David making up after a fight - except it's Beverly and one of the guys from the retirement home she lives in.
- On Veronica Mars, Aaron accidentally walks in on Logan and Veronica making out. He politely makes an excuse and leaves, and later, when Veronica has to hide from Logan's friends, even offers to drive Veronica home, and tells her he approves of her with Logan.
- In a third season episode of Friday Night Lights, Coach Taylor walked in on Julie and Matt having sex. Unlike most examples of this trope, this wasn't played for laughs, and became the focus of the episode as both Coach and Tami tried to figure out how to talk to Julie and Matt about what happened.
- On Gilmore Girls, Luke offers a book to Lorelai and mentions that it's upstairs in his apartment, which is right above the diner. When Lorelai walks in, she comes across Rory and Jess making out on the couch. It's uncomfortable for all three of them. When Lorelai demands an explanation from Luke, he admits that he goes up to the apartment every 10 minutes with flimsy excuses in order to make sure that nothing gets past the kissing stage.
- The American version of Shameless has a brilliant example where Mickey's homophobic, drunken father, walks straight into Mickey's room to use the bathroom- right past a naked Ian and Mickey post-sex. A few tense moments until his father comes out and obliviously proceeds to tell them they should get up, as it looks like they're gay.
- On Friends, Jack Geller walks in on Monica and Chandler having sex in a storecupboard.
- On Some Girls, Viva's father and stepmother return from vacation to find the girls in various stages of undress and hooking up with boys.
- On The Nanny, Fran and Maxwell find Maggie in bed with Michael.
- Inverted on All My Children. Edmund and Maria arrive at her apartment in the middle of an argument. Edmund asks to come in, but Maria snaps, "No, because we're just going to end up in bed like we always do!" She says this as she's opening the door. . .to see her parents sitting on the couch.
- From Warrant's Cherry Pie: "In walked her daddy/standing six-foot-four/said "you ain't gonna swing with my daughter no more".
- This is the big Oh Crap moment from Nickelback's "Animals", which has the protagonist and his date's makeout session in the back of his car interrupted by her dad catching them in the act.
- In Dra Koi the protagonist's mother walks in on her son and the dragon having sex. Since she's crazy, she gets pissed since she wanted to be the one that took his virginity.
- In Sabrina Online, when Amy and Thomas have sex on her bed, her mother is outside asking if they need anything. Amy's father tells the mother to leave them alone.
- In Questionable Content, Faye's sister Mandy came out as lesbian to her mother because of this trope.
- In Red String, Hanae's mother finds out her daughter is a lesbian this way. She doesn't take it well.
- Played with in this real-life example from Mike Holmes' True Story, in that the boy manages to escape to the closet before being discovered; however, the protagonist, in order to convince her mother that nothing had been going on and that she always slept naked, feels obliged to go on doing so for the rest of her life.
- A variation in El Goonish Shive: After Nanase saves Ellen's life with a sacrificial spell, she's hospitalized, and Nanase's not-so-oblivious mom walks into the hospital room while the two are kissing.
Anime and Manga
- On an advert for insurance (perhaps Norwich Union?). A teenager's grandmother approaches his room with a cup of tea and is greeted by cries of 'Yes! I love you!' from the room. Of course, he's actually just been informed how cheap his insurance quote is.
- Seitokai Yakuindomo has this happen to Suzu and Takatoshi when they're working on papers for the student council. Her mother walks in after she fell on top of him after tripping from a rotating chair. Since her mother is a big pervert, she's actually ecstatic at the prospect of her daughter getting some, much to her furious embarrassment.
- Rosario + Vampire has a variation. When Tsukune goes back home for a few days, the harem follows him. Moka shows up as the girlfriend. However, the rest of the harem managed to get into his room without his mother noticing. When his mother shows up bringing tea for the two, she ends up seeing a Lover Tug of War.
- In Bleach, Ichigo often brings attractive girls back to his house, such as Rukia, Orihime and Tatsuki. When he hangs out with them in his room, his dad and sisters listen at the door to see if anything is going on.
- In Ouran High School Host Club, when the hosts are visiting Haruhi's apartment and are about to be taken by her to the "commoner's supermarket", Tamaki slips on a Banana Peel from nowhere, and falls on top of Haruhi, just as Ryoji Fujioka, aka Ranka, walks in. About a second later, a sign pops up showing that Tamaki instantly understood the situation.
- One strip of Zits had Jeremy and his girlfriend studying in the kitchen, so of course Jeremy's parents come in every five minutes, getting "good, clear water!", taking out laundry, changing light bulbs, dusting the top of the fridge...
- And averted in another strip, where the parents yell "STOP MAKING NOISE UP THERE" to the then-young children, and "MAKE SOME NOISE UP THERE!" to the now-teenaged Sara and Jeremy.
- Robin (Tim Drake) from the Batman series had one particularly amusing experience. His girlfriend Arianna tried to seduce him in lingerie but he turned down the opportunity, saying that they weren't ready for it. They ended up talking all night but when her relatives walked in on them (with Arianna still in her lingerie), they got the wrong idea and chased out Tim in rage.
- Happens in Ultimate Spider-Man, very much like the Type One example above, with Aunt May walking in on Peter and Mary Jane. However, all they're doing is kissing, and Peter has just revealed his identity to her, but Aunt May proceeds to administer The Talk nonetheless.
- In Invincible Samantha visits Mark utterly distraught after catching her boyfriend Rex cheating on her with their teammate Dupli-Kate. Mark is comforting her when his mother enters his room and is greeted by the sight of a girl sprawled over her son's lap (both still in their tight superhero costumes too). She immediately marches them downstairs for a talk.
- In Transformers, Sam Witwicky tries to find a small chip placed on his treasure glasses belonged to his grandfather, which he forgets where he left them in his room, and get Mikaela to help him. It gets too noisy that Sam's parents go up to check him out. His mother gets completely wrong ideas both before and after she finds the girl in his room.
- On Daria, a panicked Helen bursts into Daria's room while she and Tom are having a casual conversation.
Anime and Manga
- There is a series of commercials for Pocky that involve this trope.
- In the first Higurashi no Naku Koro ni arc Keiichi's dad comes to bring Rena and Keiichi tea and snacks. In the manga it would have been a moment killer if Rena hadn't left and if she had talked to Keiichi. The fact Keiichi was talking on the phone about something secretive and he was suspicious of Rena makes him even more paranoid. However Rena probably never even went near his room, and if she did she heard he was on the phone and left.