Music / Warrant
Warrant are an American Hair Metal
band originally from Los Angeles. Formed in 1984, it took three or four years for the classic line-up featuring Jani Lane (lead vocals, main songwriter), Joey Allen (lead guitar), Erik Turner (rhythm guitar), Jerry Dixon (bass guitar) and Steven Sweet (drums) to stabilise.
Establishing themselves as the number three band in the Hollywood rock scene behind Guns N' Roses
, the band had their breakout hits with the multi-platinum album Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich
and the single "Heaven", which got to number two in the American charts (although it peaked behind Milli Vanilli
, which is more or less the same as being the number one song
) and reached their peak success with Cherry Pie
and the eponymous hit single, an arena rock anthem that soon became their Signature Song
However, changing trends in rock music served to undermine the band's career. Like a lot of hair bands, Warrant were displaced by the rise of Grunge
, and after one last hit (the album Dog Eat Dog
) their popularity declined. Since then, they've continued to perform and record either with or without bandleader Jani Lane, who died of alcohol poisoning in 2011.
This band features examples of:
- Auto Erotica: From "Cherry Pie"
Swingin' to the bass
In the back of my car!
Ain't got money!
Ain't got no gas!
But we'll get where
We're goin' if we
Swing real fast!
- Bawdy Song: A large part of their discography.
- Cluster F-Bomb: "Ode To Tipper Gore", the band's attempt to troll Al Gore's wife and prominent music censorship advocate.
- Corrupt Cop: "Uncle Tom's Cabin"note . The video is more explicit but the local sheriff and deputy secretly dumping bodies into a deep lake leaves little room to assume anything good.
- Cover Version: Of "We Will Rock You".
- Double Entendre: "Cherry Pie" has several:
Swingin' in there 'cause
She wanted me to feed her
So I mixed up the batter
And she licked the beater!
- Fully Automatic Clip Show: "Ode To Tipper Gore", a collection of profanity from live concerts.
- Hair Metal: They were one of the last new hair metal groups that managed to become very popular immediately before grunge killed the genre off in the 1990s.
- Intercourse with You: Frequent feature of their lyrics.
- Interrupted Intimacy: From "Cherry Pie"
Swingin' so hard
We forgot to lock the door!
In walks her daddy
Standin' six foot four!
He said you ain't gonna swing
With my daughter no more!
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Again, from "Cherry Pie"
Swingin' on the front porch!
Swingin' on the lawn!
Swingin' where we want
'Cause there ain't nobody home!
- Power Ballad: As with all hair metal bands, they had several such songs. "Heaven" and "I Saw Red" were their most popular.
- Revolving Door Band: NOBODY in Warrant has been in the band non-stop from its inception to the present. The closest is bassist Jerry Dixon, who has been with the band from 1984 to the present (2016), but was not an original member. Erik Turner founded the band, but the rhythm guitarist took time off from Warrant in 1997-98 and 2003.
- Special Guest: The Cherry Pie album had a few friends performing on some songs. For example, the guitar solo on the title track is played by Poison guitarist C. C. DeVille.
- Stealth Parody: They seem to view "Cherry Pie" as one of these.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: The woman in the "Cherry Pie" video.
- Video Full of Film Clips: The video for their cover of "We Will Rock You" contains clips from the 1992 boxing movie Gladiator.